Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Just wondering about oil change for my cruze. I drive 800 to 1000 miles a week for work. So it's only been 5 weeks since I changed the oil after i bought the car and I'm sitting at 220 miles to go before I hit the 5000 mile mark (will probably do that 220 miles tomorrow). Should I be setting up an appointment for an oil change or should I wait longer (you know, like the three month mark)? I mean 95% of my drive is highway driving. I guess the times when I'm stuck in traffic on the highway will count as city driving.

BTW, when I eventually take it to the dealership, should I reset to stock (from trifecta tune) or will be good? The diagnostic email I got from Onstar said there was a recall on my car [Campaign #: 2014801 REPROGRAM ENGINE CONTROL MODULE]. They'll probably be taking care of the recall, and I don't know how that plays into the tune. Your replies are greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
Reset to stock for the recall. What does the OLM say for your oil life and what oil is in the car (factory oil is AC Delco dexos 1)?

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
I wish to hear what the OLM readout is as well.....I'm thinking you'll be surprised at the life remaining.....I want to be surprised as well.

More thoughts after your report.

Rob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah take the tune out. When we reprogram it will list all previous versions of GM tunes as well as the current tune number so it is easy to tell if you have had a aftermarket tune, we would still do the reprogram but depending on your relationship with your dealer and the tech working on your car they could potentially block all warranty repairs if you had any in the future.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'll bet you can go close to 7500 without a problem considering your % of highway miles.
Do you drive that many miles for work or to work?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well that answers that question. When I got in the car this morning, it said to change the oil. Oil life is at 5%.

I drive that many miles to work. I live in Lansing and work in downtown Detroit.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
IMO, based on the assumption you are still in your four 'No Charge' oil change/tire rotation program, and your rate of mileage accumulation, stick with the OLM recommendation.
This is also based on the dealer using Dexos rated oil from GM.

At your fifth oil change, I think you should consider going to a full synthetic along the lines of Amsoil or (don't beat me too hard Andrae) Mobil1 Extended Life.
IMO, based on your long drive times at full operating temperature, you likely can double or maybe triple your current change interval with no negatives.

As an aside, don't confuse long change intervals with long level check intervals.....that should still be a weekly event.

Many comments to come,
Rob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from getting the oil changed. They said I had to make an appointment for the recall because they were busy today with limited number of technicians. They did try to sell me on an alignment because my front toe was off. When I asked by how much he couldn't give a figure. From the picture i was given, it appears to be a tiny little bit of negative toe just past center. I refused. I believe in racing some toe out on the front is used, so I assume I should be okay, right? (LOL!)

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Adjustments (such as alignment) are covered for the first 12m 12000 miles as long as there is no visable impact damage.

Did the dealer want to charge for this and, if so, do you know why?

Rob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah take the tune out. When we reprogram it will list all previous versions of GM tunes as well as the current tune number so it is easy to tell if you have had a aftermarket tune, we would still do the reprogram but depending on your relationship with your dealer and the tech working on your car they could potentially block all warranty repairs if you had any in the future.
Assuming he flashed the tune with the transparency mode enabled, should it not show up on the dealer's end? I mean isn't that the whole point of it?

Another thing I was wondering, in this case if the dealer updates the ECU, is the whole ecu updated or just the code for whatever the issue is? So will he need to get an updated tune from Trifecta to include the new update from the dealer?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Assuming he flashed the tune with the transparency mode enabled, should it not show up on the dealer's end? I mean isn't that the whole point of it?

Another thing I was wondering, in this case if the dealer updates the ECU, is the whole ecu updated or just the code for whatever the issue is? So will he need to get an updated tune from Trifecta to include the new update from the dealer?
Well not 100% sure with the transparency mode from trifecta but it should still show the calibration number which if we cross reference from another cruze same year it should show that there is a different calibration number and previous versions.

When we Re-program modules it will take out any tune or software. We see a lot of diesel tuners that are bypassing all emission components bypassed and with the ecm ignoring those sensors thanks to aftermarket calibrations and after we Re-program the ecm it will always set a check engine light right away. I have had several courses with dealing with aftermarket calibrations and we will always take snapshots of programming history and send it to GM engineering and they can I assume pick up on any sort of attempt to make a aftermarket flash look legit, but those companies that try and do this I think are just looking for the dealer tech not to be able to easily recognize a flash that should not be there. So just be aware if you have a major powertrain component break GM engineering will always ask us to take a snapshot of programming history and they will look at it and say if the repair will be covered.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
BTW they didn't do the ECM reprogram because they didn't have time, but I did return the car to stock before going in. From my understanding, the transparency mode only removes records of flashes, but not the actual program. So if I go in with the trifecta they can see it, but not how many times I have flashed.

I am interested in the question about new program from trifecta after the ECM flash. Can anyone from trifecta chime in?

Adjustments (such as alignment) are covered for the first 12m 12000 miles as long as there is no visable impact damage.

Did the dealer want to charge for this and, if so, do you know why?

Rob
Yes they said it would cost $80 i believe.
Besides, I'm at 18000 miles (and counting) right now, so this I guess wouldn't apply to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Ah yes.....18000 pushes it over the edge.

Still though, if you aren't seeing unusual tire wear and the car is steady on its feet I'd be inclined to go with your thoughts and leave it alone.

Does this dealer have one of those toe checkers you drive across while entering the service department?
If so, I'd take that info with a grain of salt....those things are notoriously inaccurate and only serve as a income generator.

Rob

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ah yes.....18000 pushes it over the edge.

Still though, if you aren't seeing unusual tire wear and the car is steady on its feet I'd be inclined to go with your thoughts and leave it alone.

Does this dealer have one of those toe checkers you drive across while entering the service department?
If so, I'd take that info with a grain of salt....those things are notoriously inaccurate and only serve as a income generator.

Rob
are those the same as these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVMJgvEubSQ

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I thought he was talking about this. You drive over it and it tells you if the wheel had any sideways tension to it.

·
10,695 Posts
Quote for what is being asked multiple times. People have had MAJOR service done with tune still on the car. It all depends on what tune you have. Select a tune files previous years and current are subtle enough with CC on to kinda get you in and out the service bay w/o issue or seat of the pants detection. PAL tune shows blatant behavior the car has been tuned.

Hello. This has been addressed before, several times. The entries the person quoted is referring to are the CVN numbers per write and the checksums to cross-reference. The TRIFECTA programming first, does not increment write counts. The flash counter will remain at the factory number. Second, and this is where we differ from other companies, our programming enters a GM CVN write number every time you write the ECM. It keeps things stock. Unlike other companies that 'mask' in hopes that the tech will simply overlook the entry, our programming actually uses the same code GM uses to generate the CVN. Keeping these numbers 100% factory and checksums to match, there are no traces left behind. If a tech were to try and decipher the CVN entries, they would all lead back to a legit GM write event.

If you took it to the dealer with the calibration still on there, they would look at it and see it as stock. The only way to tell is if the tech 'suspected' from driving the car and feeling a difference, taking a 'snapshot' of the calibration and then sending that to GM engineers to review. Only then, by looking at each table by table could they tell that the values/parameters have been changed.

So, all that being said. You are safe. You flash the stock calibration back on any time you go to the dealer just so that there is no cause for suspicions to be raised. TRIFECTA programming is not over-the-top. It is in depth.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Regarding the quick alignment check.....I am referring to a unit that is driven across....it is as wide as the vehicle and has skid plates that measure toe as the car is driven across it......usually placed in the write up area, every car that enters drives across it.
The info is printed and gives the shop a opportunity to upsell a alignment service.

Trouble is, these are mechanical, using slide plates you drive across that 'read' and print the results.
Because they are mechanical, the measuring components must be re-adjusted frequently.
Most shops don't stay on top of the re-adjustment needs and as a result, the information from the unit is more often than not, incorrect.......and the customer ends up paying for needless service.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
BTW they didn't do the ECM reprogram because they didn't have time, but I did return the car to stock before going in. From my understanding, the transparency mode only removes records of flashes, but not the actual program. So if I go in with the trifecta they can see it, but not how many times I have flashed.
No tune can be 100% transparent. It may hide itself from the ECU's overall programming record but as soon as you snapshot the parameters it will show.

·
10,695 Posts
No tune can be 100% transparent. It may hide itself from the ECU's overall programming record but as soon as you snapshot the parameters it will show.
Yep, on a busy day they aren't going to be all in your business unless you got a **** ton of mods done that one would assume you also tuned for like deleted cats and no pending codes. Besides tune and plugs, I'm stock everywhere else. Plugs alone on stock tune feels good compared to brand new car on own plugs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts