Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't drive my car a bunch, 16,000mi if I'm lucky in a year. Is it true that one's oil should be changed every 6 months?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
It used to be, in fact it was always 3 months or 3000 miles. With today's quality lubricants the intervals at least for Chevy say 7500 miles/12 Months and a big emphasis is placed on the OLM

·
Super Moderator
5,148 Posts
There is even one oil/lubricant that advertises your once a year oil change. The time frame comes down to chemical breakdown of the oil and synthetics don't breakdown the same so as long as you have a good synthetic I would go more on the mileage. Personally, with 16000 I would have changed it 2 times only because it is part of my oil change/tire rotation at 6K service. Based on mileage not time.

·
10,713 Posts
That particular oil, I wouldn't run it 16K and I'm not sure the filter that long either. If you are interested in 16K / 1 year oil changes and still be reasonably safe You may want to look into Amsoil Signature Series 5w 30 with oil filter swapped at like 7500 ish miles between the changes.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Sounds like some Amsoil SS and 2 Wix filters would be a great 1 time a year oil change combo.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, since I have bought EVERYTHING already, I'm thinking about going this route!

Change only the filter @ 7,000mi.
Change EVERYTHING @ 14,000mi. Once I'm out of K&N oil filters I'll go to Wix oil filters. Once I'm out of oil I'll go with Amsoil SS.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here are my thoughts since I have EVERYTHING already.

Change out my oil filter @ ~7,000mi only.
Everything gets changed out @ ~14,000mi.

Is that BETTER?

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
That is the filter you want.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
I would not put 14-15000 miles on a TURBO engine on that oil.

It's fine for something like a basic run-around N/A 4-cylinder like the 1.8, but the 1.4T is hard on oil - tests have been done that show that Mobil-1 5w-30 shears to a -20 weight in a few thousand miles in turbo applications.

Use it, change it with the filter at 7-8k, and either run the same stuff or switch to a different oil.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would not put 14-15000 miles on a TURBO engine on that oil.

It's fine for something like a basic run-around N/A 4-cylinder like the 1.8, but the 1.4T is hard on oil - tests have been done that show that Mobil-1 5w-30 shears to a -20 weight in a few thousand miles in turbo applications.

Use it, change it with the filter at 7-8k, and either run the same stuff or switch to a different oil.
Oh my, so I should just do EVERYTHING @ 7,000-8,000mi then like normal?!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Oh my, so I should just do EVERYTHING @ 7,000-8,000mi then like normal?!

Yes, pretty much. It's just marketing. If you read the fine print, the EP will still tell you to follow mfr recommended intervals.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Mobil 1 "extended protection" has indeed been found to shear quickly to a 20 weight oil. It is not suitable for the extended drains it claims to meet. Any driving in severe service conditions reduces you to OEM intervals on that oil (per Mobil 1). Mobil 1 defines severe service as:

• Trips of less than 10 miles
• Driving in cold weather
• Idling for extended periods
• Stop-and-go traffic
• Pulling trailers/carrying heavy loads
• Driving in dusty conditions"

Basically, that covers most owners. Besides that, Mobil 1 Extended Protection performed very poorly in thermo-oxidation ASTM testing, where it was shown that its ability to prevent deposits in high heat conditions (an ASTM standardized turbocharger simulation test) was no better than the bare minimum required of conventional oils by API SN specifications. That makes it woefully unsuitable for use in a 1.4L Turbo engine. API SN specifications allow a maximum of 30mg of deposits to be created in the duration of the test. Mobil 1 EP created 28.2mg of deposits.

AMSOIL's Signature Series, on the other hand, performed extremely well, creating only 7mg of deposits during the same test. Due to a superior base oil chemistry and additive formulation, this oil is suitable, and validated with oil analysis, for 15,000 mile drain intervals in the Cruze 1.4L Turbo, with a filter change every 7,500 miles. AMSOIL actually recommends it at 15,000 mile intervals in severe service driving, and backs that with an engine repair/replacement warranty should the oil cause a failure. With any other oil, I would not exceed OEM drain intervals.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts