Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a unmolested 2012 Cruze Eco with a 1.4L and 116,000 Miles.

When I was driving to work tonight, the check engine light comes on. I get to work and open the hood and see oil around the dipstick. I don't have my code reader handy so I cannot see the codes that it has. Oil level on dipstick looks normal, but the entire dipstick was covered in oil. Camcover was replaced due to PCV valve failure twice already. First time was at 64,000 miles and was done under the warranty at the dealer. The second one I did myself at 110,000 miles and have not had a problem since then. Am I looking at another failed PCV valve? Or could it be another issue? I have only used Mobil 1 oil, I do my own oil changes at around 15% to 20% on the oil life monitor and when I changed the cam cover myself, there was no sludge anywhere to be found.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,005 Posts
Oil up the dipstick is a good sign of a PCV issue. Check to see that your check valve in the intake manifold is still there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it was a PCV issue, but wanted to check to be sure. Last time when I replaced the cam cover, I did not have any oil leaks that I could see, but it did not run right and it was hissing out of the vent. I did not know about the check valve on the intake manifold. I am curious if mine is stuck and that is why my 3rd cam cover failed after only 6k miles. Cam cover replacement was easy, but with it starting to get cold and me not really having garage space, I am not sure about replacing the intake manifold my self, even though I am out of warranty. Is replacing the intake manifold really difficult? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm on my 4th cam cover at 178000 miles. Does it make that sucking noise and does not idle right? Never had oil out of the dipstick. But could see how that would happen. My only bitch about this car. Last one, I had to pay for has lasted guessing 60000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Forgot check engine light comes on every time. This last cover seems to be hanging in there. Maybe they fixed it. Only costs like 180 bucks to fix a 2 cent part.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A new more important issue came up today... Soft clutch pedal, cannot get into gear when stopped. It is cold and I do not really feel like messing with the clutch so it will be getting dropped off for both issues today.

Edit: Looks like all the stop and go traffic out of Detroit over the last 116,000 miles wore out the clutch (wife was driving). They also looked at the oil coming out of the dipstick and said it was caused by dry o-rings on the dip stick. We will see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
"They also looked at the oil coming out of the dipstick and said it was caused by dry o-rings on the dip stick. We will see if that fixes it."
I checked my oil level today and was looking at that o-ring on the dipstick and the thought popped in my head about replacing the o-ring. Couldn't be more than a couple buck part if that much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts