Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 LTZ. I brought it to the shop for a check engine light and was given this list of issues:
Coil pack replacement
Intake manifold leak
Coolant reservoir is leaking
2 coolant line leaks
Turbo oil feed line leaking
PVC valve in valve cover needs to be replaced
Oil change
Clean engine / put dye in to check for additional leaks
Cost: $2400

Admittedly, I know nothing about repairs. Does this seem like a lot? The car is barely even worth that much. Advice?

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
989 Posts
Yes that is excessive IMO. Is this a smaller private shop? All of the items on that list can be problem areas for this car though. Were they replacing the intake manifold? Also, I disagree the car is barely worth that much, they sell just normal LT’s here for $8-9k still.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is excessive IMO. Is this a smaller private shop? All of the items on that list can be problem areas for this car though. Were they replacing the intake manifold? Also, I disagree the car is barely worth that much, they sell just normal LT’s here for $8-9k still.
It's not a private shop but a chain shop around here. I'm not sure if they were replacing the intake manifold or just the gasket. I'm in Massachusetts and the quote I got for a trade in was $1,500 - $2,500.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
989 Posts
It's not a private shop but a chain shop around here. I'm not sure if they were replacing the intake manifold or just the gasket. I'm in Massachusetts and the quote I got for a trade in was $1,500 - $2,500.
I see, kbb.com says trade in at minimum is $2400 but up to $3700 for your area. If it were me I’d get away from the chain and go to a small private mechanic. Get everything assessed again and I bet it will be half the amount.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Can you use tools and follow step by step guides? You can do all of that yourself for about $400.

·
Registered
314 Posts
We have guides here for the valve cover, intake manifold, coolant, turbo oil feed line, and coil pack. Check out the diy section for the 1.4. The single most expensive thing on that list is the coil pack, unless you need a new intake manifold, I'm thinking just the gasket tho unless they are referring to the rubber valve inside the manifold that has disappeared.

In that case, doing the PCV fix kit would be cheaper than a new intake manifold

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see, kbb.com says trade in at minimum is $2400 but up to $3700 for your area. If it were me I’d get away from the chain and go to a small private mechanic. Get everything assessed again and I bet it will be half the amount.
I used to go to a private mechanic but I brought it to him a couple of times in the past year and he never mentioned any of these issues. He also fixed a valve cover gasket and several hoses for me and now it sounds like I have the same problem.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I used to go to a private mechanic but I brought it to him a couple of times in the past year and he never mentioned any of these issues. He also fixed a valve cover gasket and several hoses for me and now it sounds like I have the same problem.
Where in MA are you? I'm in central MA just outside Worcester and there's a great local independant guy I go to all the time and he's a big GM guy - Mac's Auto in Leicester. Again no idea how far of a drive that would be for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where in MA are you? I'm in central MA just outside Worcester and there's a great local independant guy I go to all the time and he's a big GM guy - Mac's Auto in Leicester. Again no idea how far of a drive that would be for you.
I'm on the cape. And the shop said that the car is now unable to be driven because the coil pack broke when they inspected it.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
989 Posts
I'm on the cape. And the shop said that the car is now unable to be driven because the coil pack broke when they inspected it.
Hmm sounds like they are being dishonest, I would grab one from a local auto parts store, tell them to slap that on and run. Heck a whole used engine on these cars can be bought for $800...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yea I guess that's a bit too far then.

I'd go with what Thebigzeus said and pick up one on your own and have them install it. Or at the very least ask them how much the coil pack is from them (ask for a breakdown - part cost and labor cost) and then call AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts and ask them for a price. If the shop's number is significantly higher on the part then there's something goofy. If they're only a couple $ more then I wouldn't worry about it. Also if you do have them replace it make sure you tell them to give you the old one - just a way to make sure they did indeed change it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2011 cruze LT with the 1.4 turbo. It is famous for one coolant hose that always will leak. I put a new one on and it happened again so having coolant hose leaks is common problem with this engine. I quit replacing it and just add coolant when needed.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a 2011 cruze LT with the 1.4 turbo. It is famous for one coolant hose that always will leak. I put a new one on and it happened again so having coolant hose leaks is common problem with this engine. I quit replacing it and just add coolant when needed.
If you keep replacing the hose and it's still leaking then it's probably something else. Didn't the first gen cars also have problems with the outlet port that the hose connects to cracking?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did they show you the broken coil pack? Make them show you and if it isn't broke drive it out of there. If not I would go back to your independent shop and ask how much they would charge to pick up your car and have them give you a quote on repairs. Most chain shops will quote you for repairs you don't need because of the way they pay their people.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did they show you the broken coil pack? Make them show you and if it isn't broke drive it out of there. If not I would go back to your independent shop and ask how much they would charge to pick up your car and have them give you a quote on repairs. Most chain shops will quote you for repairs you don't need because of the way they pay their people.
If they broke it why didn't they fix it?!

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,845 Posts
I have a 2012 LTZ. I brought it to the shop for a check engine light and was given this list of issues:
Ask them what the codes were, or look on your paperwork and post them here.

Coil pack replacement

Tips to ensure no misfires occur:

Remove the coil pack. If the boots are stuck on, use a small screwdriver or pick with some dielectric grease on it to go around the outside of the boot and then possibly the inside of the boot to help aid in removal.

Remember to (p)re-gap your plugs to .028, (0.24 if tuned)

Set gap with the black portion of this tool.

Measure the gap with feeler gauges.

Throw this away.

Torque to 18 ft-lbs with no anti-seize on the threads of a stock type plug.

Ensure the boots have no rips/tears or holes in them, lightly coat them with dielectric/silicone grease and make sure the resister springs are clean and not caught up in the boots when you install them.

If the plugs look bad, consider these:

-BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium plugs), ~$25, expect ~10-15k regaps on these, ~40-50k overall life.
-BKR7E-4644 (nickel/copper plugs), ~$8, expect 15-25K out of these plugs, with a regap or two required at 5-8k intervals on stock tune.

Read Hesitation Gone! for more info on the plugs.

Intake manifold leak
How-To: Remove 2011-2016 Cruze 1.4L Intake Manifold

GM Part #'s: 13465094, 13256823

2 coolant line leaks
Which lines?
How-To: 2011-2016 Cruze Antifreeze/Coolant Flush
How-To: Replace 2011-2016 Cruze 1.4L Coolant/Water Outlet

How-To: Replace Turbo Oil Feed Line

Actually this is a PCV vacuum regulator, the valves are in the intake and another near the turbo. You will also need to repair the intake manifold as this is a symptom .

How-To: Replace the Valve/Camshaft Cover (1.4L Turbo)

Oil change
How-To: Cruze Oil Change - 1.4T
AMSOIL Products for the 2011-2015, 2016 Limited Gen1 Cruze

How to clean engine bay

Cost: $2400 Admittedly, I know nothing about repairs. Does this seem like a lot?
Yes

The car is barely even worth that much. Advice?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Coil pack replacement
Intake manifold leak
2 coolant line leaks
Oil change
Cost: $2400

Admittedly, I know nothing about repairs. Does this seem like a lot? The car is barely even worth that much. Advice?
How many miles on your car?

My 2012 had over 200,000 and I had to replace the entire cooling system except the water pump. The coolant outlet hose and the reservoir were both leaking and all but like 2 coolant hose were breaking apart on the inside.

This only cost about $250-300 for cooling system parts.

For all the repairs you listed, I came up to about $500 on the high end for all the parts. It shouldn’t take more than a day to do all of the repairs so $30/hr x 8hrs is $240.
The parts/repairs listed should all be fixed for something like $750-1250. Anything more than that is a corporate scam.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you could do it yourself it could be done for less than a quarter of that quote. That really shouldn't be even half of that price with an honest independent person doing the job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts