Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had a long time small leak from the oil cooler on my 2012 1.4 Cruze eco. I finally took it into the dealership where I purchased it and received a quote for replacement. It’s way higher than I was expecting, and there are other parts such as a tensioner and belt that I don’t feel like are any part of the replacement of the oil cooler. I’ve asked them to explain and they insist that it is part of the cooler replacement.

Can anyone help me make sense of this quote?

·
Premium Member
4,920 Posts
Well they didn't charge you for the Paralyzed Vete donation so it looks Kosher to me. I'm treasuring this last year for my 2014 still covered for all mechanical repairs

·
Registered
136 Posts
Belt and tensioner are nowhere near oil cooler.

Take to another two independent shops and ask free evaluation of oil leaks and suggestions without showing them the invoice. Ask friends too about independent shops.

I operate a repair facility in Texas myself and I understand your frustration. I don't believe in the "salesman mentality". I believe in my heart in honesty and safety.

Now maybe the belt is worn but the tensioner is one that typically doesn't fail.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Done right it'd be closer to 9-1,100 with all necessary gaskets and changing other hoses and pipes for preventive measure but 1,700 is excessive unless they can prove the necessity of other components.

Plus to me that estimate is just too vague on description of parts and repairs/labor. They should walk you around and show you these issues and show you your vehicle, discuss their reasoning on why components are necessary and break down the estimate.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,547 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did this my self the charge a lot in parts a lot more than I payed but they half to take out the hole turbo and manifold to get to the oil cooler which means new gaskets and seals for everything that comes apart. And remember the money you pay will save you from oil and coolant mixing and total destroying your Engine. I do think you could find somebody to do it cheaper but it’s six hours at least of labor to take out the turbo and put it back in. If it’s not the oil cooler that’s leaking it may just be the hose that’s attached to it you can do that yourself if you take the piston off the turbo underneath the heat shield you can undo the clamps pull off the hose get one from O’Reillys for eight dollars cut it to fit And put it in but if it’s the actual oil cooler the whole turbo has to come out to get to it which takes at least six hours to take out and in again at $60 +an hour plus at least 9 seals and I will probably add on a part or two because the hoses on the turbo like to break and leak when removed. Just an FYI

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,547 Posts
I just did this my self the charge a lot in parts a lot more than I payed but they half to take out the hole turbo and manifold to get to the oil cooler which means new gaskets and seals for everything that comes apart. And remember the money you pay will save you from oil and coolant mixing and total destroying your Engine. I do think you could find somebody to do it cheaper but it’s six hours at least of labor to take out the turbo and put it back in. If it’s not the oil cooler that’s leaking it may just be the hose that’s attached to it you can do that yourself if you take the piston off the turbo underneath the heat shield you can undo the clamps pull off the hose get one from O’Reillys for eight dollars cut it to fit And put it in but if it’s the actual oil cooler the whole turbo has to come out to get to it which takes at least six hours to take out and in again at $60 +an hour plus at least 9 seals and I will probably add on a part or two because the hoses on the turbo like to break and leak when removed. Just an FYI
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the insight everyone. So it sounds like some of the seals and labor might be legit, but still can’t figure out why the belt and tensioner would be at all involved in this fix. I guess I just need to take it to a different place. Bummed because they got a $70 diagnostic fee out of me that I can’t get back unless they do the work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts