Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else had this problem? My wife brought the car home from work yesterday and it sounded like it had an exhaust leak. I got to researching and couldnt find an exhaust leak anywhere. So i climb up inder it today and found the oil feed line has melted and seperated. WTF chevy?? What a joke of a car company!!

Im calling the dealer tomorrow and hopefully chevy will cover the part and labor even though its out of warranty since this is an engineering flaw.

Heres a pic:

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
What am I looking at? You say it's a oil line, but what's it feeding? And how did this cause the sound you heard?

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Oil feed line.....exaust noise....?

Description and photo aren't helping......oil feed lines are steel unless we are discussing a cooler line which are a reasonable distance from anything hot enouph to melt them......and if they had melted there would be oil flying all over the place as well as a dry oil sump......and it wouldn't sound like much more than something spraying.....not a exaust leak type sound.

So.....I'm looking forward to what really has occured here.....please follow up.

Rob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Evidentally these are not steel. This proves it right here. Went on GMpartsdirect to get part pricing as well and thats what they call it as well. Along with the lower coupler being a plastic deutsch like connector. It even has a heat deflector sleeving on it.

Its spitting exhaust out the compressor side of the turbo through that oil feed line. Plugged it with my thumb and the sound went away.

YELLOW arrows point to the parts that should be whole. You can see the black plastic melted at the oil pan connector.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Its spitting exhaust out the compressor side of the turbo through that oil feed line. Plugged it with my thumb and the sound went away.
Exhaust coming out the compressor side? I'm thinking the tube is a casualty, not the cause. I'm thinking you may have some turbo issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes exhaust coming out the oil feed line. It feeds the turbine. What do you think feeds the turbo? The EXHAUST!!! Goes from manifold to turbo to downpipe!

Ive been a diesel tech (semis) for four years. I know a little bit about engines and turbo ones at that.

I posted this as a reference as well as an inquiry to see if anyones had this same issue as well as to warn others of the same issue.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Exhaust coming out the oil feed doesn't strike you as odd? I thought exhaust was supposed to stay on the exhaust side of the turbo. Or maybe that's just pressurized intake air - perhaps as part of the PCV system.

If that's really a oil pipe, I'd sure be checking the oil level in the engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It sumps oil out of the pan up to the turbo.

Oil level is fine, it was my first check along with the block.

Turbo is fine, once the tube is sealed turbo spools like its supposed to and noise goes away.

My bad for misleading, the tube goes into the center cartridge to oil the compressor/turbine(exhaust) wheels.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
I'm thinking thats the oil drain side.....return to pan....turbo is pressure fed....the steel line (some later models have heat shield) can be seen between turbo exaust side and block......front, visable with hood open from above.

Regardless.....your question.....Not a common failure on the forum....you are the first lucky one that we know of.

Rob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the one between the turbo and block. It actually run into the cartridge (center section) of the turbo.

Im going to be pissed if I end up having to replave the turbo as well because of their line failing.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Anyone else had this problem? My wife brought the car home from work yesterday and it sounded like it had an exhaust leak. I got to researching and couldnt find an exhaust leak anywhere. So i climb up inder it today and found the oil feed line has melted and seperated. WTF chevy?? What a joke of a car company!!

Im calling the dealer tomorrow and hopefully chevy will cover the part and labor even though its out of warranty since this is an engineering flaw.

Heres a pic:

Hello Venomized,

Please keep us posted on your dealer visit today. We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused and want you to know that we strive to produce the best vehicles possible using high quality products. As you may know, we're here if an extra layer of assistance is needed.

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Administrator
15,629 Posts
I've replaced the turbo oil feed line. That is not the turbo oil feed line. It is also not easy to see since the picture is so close up. Having a hard time making out what part that is. I assume the camera is also rotated so the bottom of the picture is toward the block.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The Drain tube isn't covered on the PW. It's a 30$ part I just replaced mine a few days ago.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Yeah, it looks like it might be what's called the oil return. But if that's the case, why isn't there a big oil puddle under the car? Maybe it's just a drain for any that doesn't return the normal way. But why did it melt like that? I have to think something else is going on.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts