Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Just to keep score, what oil were you using? I seem to remember a claim in another thread that only Mobile 1 users were reporting turbo problems.
I run royal purple now. Was running strictly dexos before but Ive run royal purple in all my other vehicles so i swapped to it in this one as well.

Took ut out today and wouldnt you know it, the BRAND NEW turbo is bad. Cant catch a break. Went to the dealer and they cant have one til tuesday so its sitting til then.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What is wrong on the new turbo and is it the mexico built one and is this pipe actually made of plastic ?? sorry just trying to figure if this is a new problem starting to occur, oh and what amount of mileage are you guys at ? hard to believe they would put a plastic pipe in there with all the exhaust heat

·
Registered
990 Posts
I run royal purple now. Was running strictly dexos before but Ive run royal purple in all my other vehicles so i swapped to it in this one as well.

Took ut out today and wouldnt you know it, the BRAND NEW turbo is bad. Cant catch a break. Went to the dealer and they cant have one til tuesday so its sitting til then.
why do you think the new one is bad? Did you check the feed line? Is it clogged?

·
Registered
990 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Bad out of the box, or something else causing it to fail?

If you haven't done it already, I'd change the oil supply line.

·
Administrator
15,625 Posts

RP went through a massive reformulation in 2011. I would recommend searching for other options. Their latest API offering is pathetic, to put it kindly, and HPS has too much ZDDP. Look into Motul, Redline, AMSOIL, or LiquiMoly for some good high performance. alternatives.

·
Registered
990 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Oil feed line is clear and working fine. Just checked it. Its definately getting oil.

Changed the oil today to get the RP out. Started it up and idled it to move the oil through and its smoking out the exhaust side of the turbo. Its got to be going right past the seals and into the exhaust side. Checked all over and cant find a leak anywhere and it didnt do i til this turbo went on

·
Registered
990 Posts
You have oil in the intercooler. Also Are you 100% sure the top line coming from the oil housing isn't coked.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Later oil supply lines are insulated. Apparently GM had a problem with the heat coking things up. Some guys have been replacing the uninsulated supply lines even though they have not experienced any issues.

I can't find it in the service manual, but I remember reading to check the flow of the supply line. But not to try and clean it - replace it if there's any problem. It was probably in a bulletin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Oil in the intercooler wont cause smoke during rev and decel. Thats blown turbo seals that causes that.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Oil in the intercooler wont cause smoke during rev and decel. Thats blown turbo seals that causes that.

Actually it would cause smoke on decel and start up. Once the intercooler is oil soaked it goes to the intake manifold then is sent thru the intake valves then Burnt out the exhaust. Have you checked for play in the turbo also have you checked your spark plugs? If you search thru the sonic forums that issue has been spoken about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I have same issue. Well my father in law :)
He just bought a 2012 Cruze with about 50k miles on it. He bought it used of an auction. When it arrived we fired it up and it sounded like engine was knocking. After closer inspection the noise seemed to be more of a exhaust clap type of noise. I found that the a tube that GM refers to as "oil inlet" tube that goes between the center of the turbo and the oil pan was completely melted away!!!! I decided to take apart the turbo to see if it was intact. By the way I work on cars all the time but this is my first turbo car and I don't know much about turbos. Anyways, after taking it apart i found that the compressor wheel was all beat up and the other one was completely missing. We bought another used turbo from a salvaged Cruze and installed it. We also bought a new "oil inlet tube" from local Chevy dealer and installed it too. After putting everything back together the car ran fine. A day or two later same thing!!!!! I haven't seen it yet but father in law says oil is under the car and its clapping again. WTF GM!!!

41 - 60 of 76 Posts