Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
By the way I work on cars all the time but this is my first turbo car and I don't know much about turbos.
Keep in mind that a number of nuts and bolts on this engine uses torque to yield parts. Meaning, you have to buy new nuts/bolts anytime you remove them.

As for this problem, I'm convinced it's not a problem unless the turbo fails and sends exhaust down the oil line. Since you got the turbo from the wrecker, it could have been bad, or the oil line was partially plugged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Keep in mind that a number of nuts and bolts on this engine uses torque to yield parts. Meaning, you have to buy new nuts/bolts anytime you remove them.

As for this problem, I'm convinced it's not a problem unless the turbo fails and sends exhaust down the oil line. Since you got the turbo from the wrecker, it could have been bad, or the oil line was partially plugged.
I agree, it could have been bad since its used. Good thing I have a 6mo warranty from the place i got it. I will also inspect all oil lines for blockage. I read on other forums that some people had oil lines blocked causing the turbo to fail. My guess though is that the turbo was fine but something else is killing it since at first it worked well.

I still have to take it apart to see what happened exactly - maybe tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
I'm not sure what could ruin a turbo other than insufficient oil flow. The oil line may not be completely blocked = just restricted. Note that later Cruzes came with a insulated oil line to prevent coking. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the line with the newer style.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure what could ruin a turbo other than insufficient oil flow. The oil line may not be completely blocked = just restricted. Note that later Cruzes came with a insulated oil line to prevent coking. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the line with the newer style.
When I replaced the turbo the first time around I bought the oil line from the Chevy dealer which came with a "jacket" over it which I thinks is a thermal insulation jacket. Apparently that didn't make a difference lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Catalytic converter glowing

So i am having problems with my cat glowing red. Dealer replaced it for free since we have been trying to figure out why its glowing for a while now. I have a 2012 cruze eco. Can the feed lines have anything to do with this. They replaced the cat and it is still glowing. And i dont want to have to replace it again from getting so hot . Im out of ideas. The car is also running rough at stop lights. Bought some plugs but have not put them on yet. Any ideas why the cat is glowing?? Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Any ideas why the cat is glowing??
Too much fuel going down the exhaust. It's ending up getting burnt there instead of the cylinder like it's supposed to be.

But why that's happening, I'm not sure. A quick Google shows there's any number of possible causes. None of them a common issue for a Cruze.

If you're running a tune, ditch it ASAP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im not running any tune. Thats the first thing the dealer asked me. Ive had this car i the shop way to many times. And they cant figure it out. I only started noticing it after my knock sensor went out and messed up my timing so bad it broke my timing chain guide rail. Well thats what my dealership told me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Problems ive had with my car which is a 2012 cruze eco manual transmission.
-New transmission, gears were whining after 3rd gear
-water pump went out(of course)
-radiator started leaking
-pcv valve. Camshaft cover
-various coolant hoses
-catalytic converter just replaced last week.
Im sick of this car now

·
Registered
64 Posts
A glowing cat can either be from unburnt fuel in the exhaust or oil leaking from the turbo. That said, if it's just the upper inlet and the turbo glowing (a dull glow seen at night) I would not rule that out as normal operation.

With it running rough, I'd say there's some sort of issue leading to unburnt fuel... basically the cat is a symptom of another problem, not a cause.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So i contacted GM by email and i took my car back to the dealer. From there GM got with my dealership. My service advisor was extremely helpfully and went out of his way for everything with my car problems. He contacted GM's engineering and we were told that my conditions were normal on these turbo cruzes. He even drove a newer cruze under the same conditions and the Cat did the same thing as mine. So the rough idel we ruled out to be the fuel im using. They inspected my turbo and no oil leaks, and hooked my car to their scanner and all the fuel trims were normal, all the sensors were functioning properly, no codes and there was no restrictions in the exhaust system. Well went to school for automotive applied science and never learned this. Guess you learn something new every day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks like a exhaust leak caused the melted oil fitting. I see where it only hit one part of the line. Most likely a slight exhaust leak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Manny2012Cruze

I have had the same issue that happened to my 2012 Cruze LTZ with 85,000 mile on it.
Oil line melted causing oil to leak out and seized up turbo. I used Mobil1. I have took the melted part off and to the dealer. They told me sorry you 7 months to late. Did it happen earlier you would be covered.
GM Part: 55587854

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, been reading the issue with this oil return line. On my 2012 Chevy Cruze I had the turbocharger replaced. Only thing I notice now is the oil return line, on top behind manifold isn’t wrapped with the heat shield, could this be causing the line to melt? I don’t think it’s the turbocharger cause it was new. Could that have failed from the melted line?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, been reading the issue with this oil return line. On my 2012 Chevy Cruze I had the turbocharger replaced. Only thing I notice now is the oil return line, on top behind manifold isn’t wrapped with the heat shield, could this be causing the line to melt? I don’t think it’s the turbocharger cause it was new. Could that have failed from the melted line?
I just fixed this exact problem at the shop I work at and what causes this is the oil supply line gets coked because it gets to hot then the oil stops to the turbo and the turbo goes bad and exhaust flows through the plastic pipe that's why the oil isn't flying everywhere. There is now a new ECM flash that keeps the fans running after the vehicle is shut off and it helps the pipes cool down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just fixed this exact problem at the shop I work at and what causes this is the oil supply line gets coked because it gets to hot then the oil stops to the turbo and the turbo goes bad and exhaust flows through the plastic pipe that's why the oil isn't flying everywhere. There is now a new ECM flash that keeps the fans running after the vehicle is shut off and it helps the pipes cool down.
If you install a new turbo when the pipe melts and you didn't change the oil supply pipe the new turbo will take a crap really fast. And the pipe melt because the turbo comes apart and allows exhaust to flow through the drain tube

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installing turbo #2 on my 2014 Chevy Cruze. The oil return line is completely melted and the turbo fan is completely loose and broken inside the housing. I'll attach pics as to maybe help someone with the same problem. I can't imagine why any engineer would think it was good idea to build this part out of plastic!!

61 - 76 of 76 Posts