Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I'm about to roll 30k on my '14 LTZ and I'm finally having my first issues. First, a little back story. My '14 came with the 2 years free oil changes/tire rotations. I had them done every 5k. I should also say I've had bad luck with my local dealership, so much so that I didn't buy the car from them. When I owned my previous car (02 Intrigue), I developed a relationship with the local Buick/GMC/Cadillac dealer. I had my first 2 oil changes done there. When I went in for my 3rd oil change, I had received the airbag recall letter. When I took it in, I quickly got a call that they were unable to perform the work because GM wouldn't authorize the recall work and I had to take it to a chevy dealer. So, I made an appointment reluctantly with my local dealer. Much to my surprise, I had zero issues. For my 4th oil change, I took it back there again.

At 25k, I went to do my first oil change. Then I discovered why I won't do business with my local dealer. The oil drain plug (which clearly says 14 Nm right on it!!!!) was torqued so friggin tight I rounded it off trying to get it off. Ended up having to run to the hardware store to get a bolt extractor set and to the dealer to buy a new drain plug. I wanted to complain, but decided it was easier to just let it go. I also noticed there was oil all over the pan. I was hopeful it was due to them over-tightening the drain plug and wiped everything down.

Last week, I put my snow tires on and there is even more oil on the pan as well oil all over the other side (under the driver). Finally today, I noticed I'm low on coolant. Barely any in the tank.

Since I'm not quite to 30k yet, I've still got bumper to bumper left. My dilemma is whether to go back to my local dealer and complain about the drain plug and try to blame anything on that, or just to cut my losses and choose a new dealer closer to work. There are 2 within a reasonable distance..... I'm thinking I'll find a better dealer.

Any ideas where my oil leak is most likely coming from? I don't see/feel any oil on the top side of the engine (throttle body, etc). I did feel around a bit. Also, what's the most likely cause of low coolant? I should also note that I don't smell antifreeze or see any smoke in the exhaust. Also, I'm not noticeably losing oil on the dipstick. Could they be related?

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
First of all, under no circumstances would I go back to the local problem dealership. Why give a dealership that can't even change oil properly a chance to really mess something up?

My thoughts on the oil leak would be oil pan gasket. Since you are under B2B, I would take it to a reputable dealership and let them deal with it.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
My dilemma is whether to go back to my local dealer and complain about the drain plug and try to blame anything on that, or just to cut my losses and choose a new dealer closer to work.
I'm not sure what you mean by "cut your losses", but I'd find a new dealer.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
You 'might' be seeing normal coolant loss that occurs over time.....it happens.

The oil leak is going to likely require shield removal to pinpoint the source.....every mating component of an engine is a possible source so you really can't pick on one particular spot.......add to that the wind blowing around the engine at speed can make a leak look like it is coming from something that is not.

Your Buick dealer can do this service as well since the same engine is found in that little suv thingy they sell.

Rob

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I guess cut my losses was a bad choice of words as I have nothing invested with my local dealer. I just want to call them on their shoddy work, but it won't get me anywhere, so I'll definitely take it elsewhere.

I suppose I can try the Buick dealer again, although I thought it was weird they weren't allowed to do recall work, but were allowed to do my included maintenance.

Fortunately, I just finished a bunch of work on my Envoy (new thermostat, engine mounts, etc) so I can drive that if they need to keep the car a while (although the gas mileage hurts). Maybe with the new thermostat I'll break 15 mpg.... :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the car to a different dealership. Without an appointment, they took the car, put it on the lift and diagnosed the leak as the oil pan gasket. How likely is it that the previous dealership over-tightening the drain plug caused this or are the oil pan seals fragile in our cars? Seems like a weird issue at 26000 miles.

Anyway, because I didn't have an appointment, they didn't have any loaners on hand, so he offered me a ride home or an appointment for next week and a loaner. Based on my crazy schedule the next couple weeks, I took the ride home. The car should be done this afternoon. Thanks everyone for your advice.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
I took the car to a different dealership. Without an appointment, they took the car, put it on the lift and diagnosed the leak as the oil pan gasket. How likely is it that the previous dealership over-tightening the drain plug caused this or are the oil pan seals fragile in our cars? Seems like a weird issue at 26000 miles.

Anyway, because I didn't have an appointment, they didn't have any loaners on hand, so he offered me a ride home or an appointment for next week and a loaner. Based on my crazy schedule the next couple weeks, I took the ride home. The car should be done this afternoon. Thanks everyone for your advice.
Very wise move to another dealer.

The over tightened drain plug would have no effect on the pan leakage you describe.
One of those things that can happen at any time on any car.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts