Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I was changing my oil this even and noticed oil buildup around the front of the engine and drips down the exhaust. Anyone know what it could be? Didn't want to take it apart yet. It's a slow leak and not collecting on the ground. Kind of was thinking it was the oil coolant gaskets or oil feed line into the turbo, but not sure why it would make it that high onto the base of the plastic engine cover.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi, my 2012 eco 1.4 had those exact leaks couple months ago. My valve cover gasket was leaking out of the same area, and out the top of the bolt shown in your pic. Also leaked from the turbo oil feed line. My small leak onto exhaust was from oil cooler gasket.
I replaced oil feed line, valve cover w gasket, intake manifold(which houses 1 pcv valve) and corrogated pcv intake/turbo hose/valve. My oil leaks have stopped(for now, the failed pcv valve was the key).
I read "pcv system explained" and checked out the 'fix kits' and the numerous posts on this 1.4. engine issue before I made any repairs. That's all I can offer based on my experiences and abilities. Best of luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So no wislting noise on the valve cover. And the turbo feed line is on order. Changed out my valve cover gasket today. Should they be torqued down after driving it a bit?

·
Registered
211 Posts
So no wislting noise on the valve cover. And the turbo feed line is on order. Changed out my valve cover gasket today. Should they be torqued down after driving it a bit? View attachment 285291
Should've been torqued to spec from the get go. Checking them again after a bit of heat cycling wont hurt
Haynes guide says to torque to 71inlb, since I only had a FTLB torque wrench, I torqued them to 6ftlb (72inlb by my math). While I ran them all in (snug), then torqued them, everything was going fine, until I SNAPPED THE LAST ONE!! 🤬 Used one of the bolts off the original valve cover to replace the broken one, was lucky enough to get the threaded portion out, my neighbor heard me throw a few choice words at it, so he inquired (while I was removing the new cover), and loaned me his INLB torque wrench. Next day, I went out and purchased an INLB torque wrench.

Picture is of the old cover with the broken bolt.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
You didn't change the o rings in the spark plug holes? That seems to be a common problem of oil leaks in to the spark plugs.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yep and you all keep posting of leaks.

Spark plug tube seals. Listed with the gasket. For the 1.4
no such thing on the 1.4, IDK what else or how to tell you. The valve cover gasket forms a perimeter seal all around the center of the head where you access the spark plug holes...no individual plug tube seals on this setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts