Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I will tackle it this Wed, just curious if anyone knows. Behind my exhaust manifold shield I have a tiny oil leak at the motor and it is leaking on my cat, burning up. The oil is NOT coming from the valve cover . I will be taking the shield off this Wed but what could be back there???

thanks
Ralph

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If the line is not insulated, you might want to pick up a replacement. I think they started in 2013. It keeps the oil from coking the line from the heat soak after shutdown. If you're pulling the line, you're doing all the work anyway.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guys is this a dealer item only?? Rockauto is not showing a turbo oil feed line , only shows the return gasket.

thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well guys, took the exhaust manifold shield off and realized that not only I have the updated oil feed line , it is also NOT leaking :(. Something between the top of the catalytic converter and cylinder head is leaking oil and it is not taking coming from valve cover. I tried to take some pics. I know there is some stuff next to the engine block but I dont know whata carrying oil or vaccuum. I would appreciate anyone help, Looks lik the exhaust manifold might have to come off.

oil leak.jpg

oil leak1.jpg

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sure its not from a oil change. Maybe some oil dripped when the filter was replaced? Doesn't look like its fresh oil from your pictures.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
having a hard time actually seeing the oil mark in the photo's. Is it to the lower left of the turbo oil line in the photo? I would check the oil fill cap for cracks. It's not shown in the picture, but it would be up and to the right of the pictures shown.

You will have to back up the camera for us to ID the linke on top of the turbo oil line. I believe it's coolant. The entire oil filter housing is an assembly, complete with a heat exchanger for cooling the oil. It mates to the engine block with gaskets, which could leak oil, but you would be one of the first on the forum with that problem.

The nut of the oil filter housing is 24mm, and a lot of technicians put this on with 1/2 breaker bars/wrenches. The gasket on the cap just needs to bottom out in the housing. I think the torque is around 12-15 ft/lbs. Less than a spark plug. In a hurry with too big of a wrench, and this could easily crack causing oil to drip down on the turbo.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the replys. I will look further into to. I am going to drive about 70 miles today without the manifold cover and see if there is fresh oil coming from. It is def oil that burns on the cat and stinks. I will verify the oil filter cap. I do my own oil changes with amzoil, I am not sloppy with them either. Talk soon

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had three oil leaks a couple months ago. They were all repaired under warranty. Camshaft actuators leaked, oil pan gasket leaked, pcv cover leaked. Have a dealer look at it. Most know what to do.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Pull the dipstick out and check the two o-rings around the seal. I had one of those rings break and it made a mess of my engine.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had three oil leaks a couple months ago. They were all repaired under warranty. Camshaft actuators leaked, oil pan gasket leaked, pcv cover leaked. Have a dealer look at it. Most know what to do.
The car has no warranty and after what I experienced with two different dealerships I am done with them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2012 1.4l turbo with 144k - I have had this leak for a few months, just came from under the car from doing an oil change and noticed leak coming from up by the oil filter housing bracket/holder.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have nearly identical oil on my engine in exact same place. Searched everywhere for leak (just had oil pan resealed under warranty). Afraid I had yet another leak but almost 100% certain it is from oil change. Took awhile for oil to noticeably spread but even small spills can look like a big leak.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hello all could it be coming from the oil cooler behind the turbo. Im have same issue cant figure out where its coming from also. I cant find it but i can smell oil burning while stoped at a light or idling. Everything is dry last oil change 1000 miles ago and still at full mark.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having the oil smell at idle as well. The dealership put a uv dye in my oil system and found two leaks. One from the oil pan and one from the oil filter housing.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys. I took my engine shield off from under the car and there was oil EVERYWHERE. Now, about 10k miles ago I had a bad valve cover gasket leak that was replaced under warranty but they never cleaned the bottom of the engine. I sprayed the entire underneath with engine cleaner and washed it/wiped it down. I am leaving the shield off for now and it looks like I was just burning up the oil that was on my engine. I will update you.

thanks again

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey guys. I took my engine shield off from under the car and there was oil EVERYWHERE. Now, about 10k miles ago I had a bad valve cover gasket leak that was replaced under warranty but they never cleaned the bottom of the engine. I sprayed the entire underneath with engine cleaner and washed it/wiped it down. I am leaving the shield off for now and it looks like I was just burning up the oil that was on my engine. I will update you.

thanks again
Ralph,
Sounds like you may have a early Cruze model, those cars had a recall to modify the under car shield. All that oil is a fire hazard! GM recalled these cars and cut out a large section of that shield so the oil wouldn't collect there, apparently they had some fires as the exhaust pipe runs close enough to ignite the oil.

If this is the case I recommend you take it in and let them do the modification, it could save your car one day!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts