Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing the belt and tensioner and found a bunch of oil on the engine mount. (Some of it looked milky, mostly what was on the bolt). The engine oil is that low, just barely under full. Any suggestions anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would start by checking the CPASV (camshaft position actuator solenoid valve) seals, if they have never been changed. Common issue for them to leak some oil after about 50k miles. Very inexpensive and easy fix. There is a tutorial in the How To section on how to replace them and what you need. Takes about 10-15 minutes tops. I replaced mine last year, bought the two seals on ebay for $8. Without more info and pics, that is about all I can think of, unless the valve cover is leaking because of a the pcv burst disc failing due to the intake check valve missing. But there is also a thread about that too.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start by checking the CPASV (camshaft position actuator solenoid valve) seals, if they have never been changed. Common issue for them to leak some oil after about 50k miles. Very inexpensive and easy fix. There is a tutorial in the How To section on how to replace them and what you need. Takes about 10-15 minutes tops. I replaced mine last year, bought the two seals on ebay for $8. Without more info and pics, that is about all I can think of, unless the valve cover is leaking because of a the pcv burst disc failing due to the intake check valve missing. But there is also a thread about that too.
Both the valve seal and cpasv were previously replaced. But they could be leaking again. Going to set an appointment with the dealership, was just curious if others may know. Seems like it's lower passenger side of the engine. Maybe it's the oil pan seal.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old school thought here - milky oil = coolant contamination
That's why I was mentioning it, was hoping someone would confirm that for me lol. The oil inside the engine looked fine and most the oil that leaked did too. However, the oil by (from what someone said on the FB page) the water pump looked "contaminated" as you said. So I am wondering if I have an oil leak and a coolant leak. Oh well, the dealership is going to check it out this week. Will update then incase anyone else runs into the same leak.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Old school thought here - milky oil = coolant contamination
Hopefully it's an oil leak and a water pump leak causing the mixing and not an internal engine leak. That location is prone to both.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it is an internal leak, would they have to replace the engine? I have ~10k miles left on the Powertrain. The only spot I saw the mixed stuff was all over the left motor mount bolt. The only that bolts the mount to the engine. It was covered in the greyish sludge, but other than that just black oil on everything else.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You would know if it was a head gasket or something major. You would have oil and water mixed in the crankcase, it would be milky on the dipstick.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You would know if it was a head gasket or something major. You would have oil and water mixed in the crankcase, it would be milky on the dipstick.
That's what I was thinking. It looked good when I checked it, just a little low. I also figured there would have been more than what was on the bolt. But a man can hope. lol Scheduled an appointment for next week, hopefully it's nothing major and is covered.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The leak was the Crankshaft Seal. The front one was replaced 6/30/2016 looking at the history, so hopefully this does not become a yearly occurrence. If I had not replaced the belt and tensioner, I probably would have never saw the oil. The dealer fixed it under warranty though. Anyone know, is there a rear and front one? It is possible if so it was the rear one and not a repeat of last year. I will have to ask the dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Transmission comes off to do the rear crank seal. If that was it, be very glad it came out of GM's wallet not yours.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will know for sure once I pick up the vehicle at 4:30. I didn't think about it, but they didn't mention any coolant leaks. I am curious as to why the oil on the bolt looked milky. Idk, may it was nothing.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,103 Posts
I will know for sure once I pick up the vehicle at 4:30. I didn't think about it, but they didn't mention any coolant leaks. I am curious as to why the oil on the bolt looked milky. Idk, may it was nothing.

What was the outcome to this?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What was the outcome to this?
They pressure tested it and found no leak. Chalked the oil up to condensation. No concerns as of yet and oil level is staying solid.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just changed my belt on a 2015 Curze LT 1.4 with 120k miles. The same bolt talked about above came out coated in oil. It did not look milky, just brown oil colored. Ill attach some pics. I havent had any noticeable oil drops on the ground. Is this for sure the front crankshaft seal?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts