Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there! I’m in dire need of help. Okay so I have an oil leak from the PCV Valve Cover of my Cruze (2015 LT 1.4L). I thought it was the gasket but after replacing it there was still a leak. Took another look and the oil is coming from the two bolts on the left. I’m pretty sure I overtightened the bolt as it just spins now. Would I have to get a Tap & Die Kit and put a bigger bolt in there or? If I was to do that what would you recommend for a bigger bolt? 87D81A21-F115-429E-8EBC-D22903E3AE59.jpeg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,845 Posts
Hey there! I’m in dire need of help. Okay so I have an oil leak from the PCV Valve Cover of my Cruze (2015 LT 1.4L). I thought it was the gasket but after replacing it there was still a leak. Took another look and the oil is coming from the two bolts on the left. I’m pretty sure I overtightened the bolt as it just spins now. Would I have to get a Tap & Die Kit and put a bigger bolt in there or? If I was to do that what would you recommend for a bigger bolt? View attachment 286034
I would hazard a guess you did not apply any RTV in the two spots that require it.

How-To: Replace the Valve/Camshaft Cover (1.4L Turbo)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is that a dorman cover? Those seem to have problems with oil coming out the bolt holes. (Lots of reviews with that issue)Had to use dorman due to strike and could not get mine to seal. Switched back to oem with no problems.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You should try an OEM cover first. I ordered mine on Amazon. Arrived pretty fast considering the Corona bs going on lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not sure gm just lists as 46.5mm. Have to see what the closest carried at hardware store. After speaking with dorman I wouldn’t have any confidence in that particular part and would replace with gm to insure leak free fix. They instructed me to just fill bolt hole with rtv to seal. Does not seem acceptable to me since gm cover seals fine without any additional sealant

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
That is new to me. 46.6 mm? Would you think that would be M6x50 nominal? Just wondering
Most factory OE metric bolts do come in these weird lengths. Especially if your using service info to determine the metric size and length. You might find metric M6 x 40 or maybe even an M6 x35 at an online seller like boltdepot dot com, but I wouldn't go long. I wouldn't want to drive it that deep to hold. You never know where the coolant jackets are in the head!

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for posting this - I’ve got a nearly identical issue. I noticed it the other day, smelled the leaked oil burning off and poked around a bit. I figured it was a gasket issue, but I’ll try filling the bolt holes with RTV first. Did the RTV work for you?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a similar issue. First, I didn't set the torque wrench correctly but I was able to reuse one of the bolts from the original cover. You'll need a helicoil or other bolt removal tool in any case. Try to avoid metal shavings getting inside the motor if you have to drill the bolt for the removal tool to work.

As the others said, go short rather than long or you risk bottoming out the bolt and not squeezing the cover on as much as the torque would suggest. Also, make sure you don't have oil in the bolt holes since you'll "bottom out" on the liquid, being incompressible and all. I didn't end up needing the RTV for the little gap on the left (looking towards the windshield from the hood) but did end up putting it on the head of the bolt and on the plastic bolt sleeve on a couple that leaked. Unless you are building pressure, the oils is probably just leaking due to capilary action. Each time you remove the cover to get out the snapped bolt, make sure not to pinch the gasket as I did, or you'll have to go back in for a gasket leak and even need another gasket if it's pinched too badly. In my case, it cut the gasket and sprayed oil all inside the engine bay.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for posting this - I’ve got a nearly identical issue. I noticed it the other day, smelled the leaked oil burning off and poked around a bit. I figured it was a gasket issue, but I’ll try filling the bolt holes with RTV first. Did the RTV work for you?
Did not try - just replaced with oem cover so it was done with and fixed correctly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts