Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
After a day and a half of tracking it down, the mechanic finally found the problem. They said there was no leak when the car was at idle, but when it was driven oil was going everywhere. They only found the leak when they drove the car slow for a very short distance, and found that oil was coming out from one of the valve cover bolts. It seems the sealant that I used for the touch points on the valve cover gasket was the culprit.

I had bought hi temp silicon sealant which I thought it was ok, but I was wrong, and apparently my own worst enemy. But they said it expanded had hardened, that the gasket was all stretched out, and there was what looked to be glue in the channel. It was so bad they couldn't get the valve cover back on. So they replaced the valve cover, gasket, and bolts.

I got the car back this morning and drove it 50 miles to work, opened the hood and no oil anywhere. I do get a slight whiff of oil coming through the air vents which I am sure will go away when I change the air filters. I figure after all the oil, burnt rubber and smoke the engine has seen in the last month, the filters, which need changed anyway are covered with oil and the stale oil air is what I smell since I only get faint whiff at a stop, but at speed there's no odor. Thank everyone for there advice, and when you change your valve cover gasket take it from me, the sealant matters.
What sealant was used?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts