Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, everyone. First time posting here. Ive looked around for awhile but not really finding a exact match to my issue. So I bought a 2013 Cruze 1.4 with 70000 miles on it about 2 months ago from a dealer in Indiana. Long story short, I was taking the kids out to check out some Christmas lights and after driving about 5 miles on highway I smelled oil. Nothing too bad, thought it was from another car. Continued driving, after another 10 miles on highway I slowed to turn, and as soon as i started to accelerate after turning I got a Low Oil Pressure shutdown engine notice. I immediately pulled over and shut off car. Lots of smoke coming from under hood and inside car. I popped the hood and didnt really look too hard but noticed alot of oil on ground and on engine. I know I'll need to be more detailed but with the kids in the car and pretty chilly outside I was more concerned about gettin them home. I'll try to post more info after gettin a better look during daylight hours. But anywho, anyone have some thoughts on what exactly transpired? Thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, i had a half a quart in trunk but after poppin the hood it was pretty obvious that I wasn't driving any further no matter how much oil I had on-hand. I waited on someone to come get us and I plan to go retrieve the car in the morning (hauling it, not driving). I'm not a mechanic but I highly doubt it would make it more than a few miles. Some sort of monsterous failure has occured. I'm feeling pretty crappy about the whole thing but tryin to remain somewhat optimistic

·
Registered
692 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as Merc6, I think. When was the last oil change, sounds like maybe oil filter or drain plug if it's been recent

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Changed oil about 1700 miles ago with Mobil 1 synthetic. And yes cap and dipstick were properly sealed. My best guess is a seal/gasket failed but just looking for any ideas. I read alot on here about small/slow leaks but nothing failing like this. I installed new drain plug and new o ring on filter when I changed it. Ill get alot better look when its daylight and I can get it moved somewhere safe.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
As above, was the oil recently changed?

There have been several cases where oil change places did not place the oil filter cap 'O' ring in the correct channel.....massive oil leak (and a few fires) resulted.
Otherwise, my next thought is the turbo oil feed line failed at its seal.

Regardless......any external oil leak (as long as not caused IE the oil filter cap ring mentioned) likely will be covered under your 100k powertrain warranty.

Keep in touch.

Rob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After lookin at different scenarios I'd say the oil filter cap o ring would be a welcome cause. But part of me wants to say surely it would've failed before almost 2000 miles. But that will be my first look in the morning haha.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, on the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, when I bought it they said I had a 3000 mile or 90 day warranty. Do all Chevys come with the 100k? I've been sittin here for 2 hours sick to my stomach worryin about this. Would make me feel alot better if I knew i was covered up to 100k. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Also, on the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, when I bought it they said I had a 3000 mile or 90 day warranty. Do all Chevys come with the 100k? I've been sittin here for 2 hours sick to my stomach worryin about this. Would make me feel alot better if I knew i was covered up to 100k. Thanks guys
For 2013, there is a 100,000 mile/5 year powertrain warranty unless abused or a salvage title. No paperwork required, just show up with the car.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
As stated above, the 5/100 coverage applies to the car, not the owner, so you automatically have the coverage.....so take a breath.

Had to look up your town....thought I'd been just about everywhere in this state of confusion. Looks like your town is so little I blinked as I passed on my way to Kentucky, heh heh.

Regards,
Rob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, we are about 2 miles off of I-57 so ya prolly never even noticed us. There is an exit though, 127. I was on my way to Effingham to look at christmas lights with the kids when this happened. Thats "town" for us lol. Getting ready to go pick up the car and take a gander here shortly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First of all let me just say Im not a mechanic lol...But from what I can tell it looks as if the oil is coming from this line. Now, if thats even possible, Im sure ya'll will let me know. Thanks for any help fellas

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Turbo oil supply line. If that's all that is, this should be fairly cheap. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to just replace it rather than put new O rings on it. I'd also verify that the turbo itself is OK.

While prior years had some issues with that causing a redesign, it didn't leak anywhere as bad. This is quite unusual. It makes me wonder if something hasn't gone wonky with the oil pressure regulator causing overpressure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
10-4, thanks. I guess I should be happy it isn't something more serious. Just sucks considering I've had this thing for less than 2 months.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, when running down the highway at 55 mpg would this leak be pretty severe? At just an idle it doesnt look bad at all

·
Registered
215 Posts
It could be, yes. I believe the oil from the filter goes straight to the turbo, and likely a strong quantity of it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right on. I just ask cause when this leak was discovered it looked pretty serious and resulted in me towing the car home just to be safe. Now that it is in my driveway i can start the car and it don't look bad at all. Im praying the turbo oil feed line is the issue. And nothing more. Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts