Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
Ok Vinny. Take a deep breath.
Only because you really tried to document your issues I'll be as kind as I can.

Stop with the obsession over the oil leaks. They have obviously been there for years and now your dozen or so little oil leaks are causing misfires? And you wiping up (or not) a couple drops of oil does something? Dude!

I'll start with the good news. From what I can tell your car is very fixable. The two main issues are the engine is misfiring and you have a coolant leak.
Having a list of codes would really help. Also, one last little jab on the sludge build video. I'll bet you a pizza you take your car in somewhere for oil changes.馃槬

1) You need to fix the coolant system. Replace the thermostat/water housing assembly. And at the same time change the coolant.
2) The misfiring. Replace the coil pack, and if you have time replace the valve cover along with it. The valve cover does need replacing but it isn't a must do at the moment. The spark plugs should still be fine unless you got them off Ebay.
3) Change your engine oil and filter ASAP. Overheating an engine destroys the oil chemistry. Use a Dexos 1 Gen 2 rated oil.

Registered
you know your $hit so I fully trust you dude
Thanks dude (y)

just wondering how do you know the coil pack is bad?
Well, mainly just experience. I'll explain.
1) There are really only a few causes of misfires
2) You replaced the spark plugs. Those are the #1 cause of misfires.
3) You car has 70K miles and that is about how long a coil pack lasts. And is the #2 cause for misfires.

Again the pictures you took were a very nice effort, but the inside of the coil pack tubes is were you might be able to see something. The outside looks fine.
What would also be a very good idea to do is use a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner. Because a misfire could be caused from a clogged fuel injector creating a lean mixture in one of your cylinders.
If those three items don't fix the issue, it gets much harder and expensive to fix.

I've been taking it for cheap oil changes for the last 50k miles
LOL..I knew it. Not only can I tell the oil was cheap, but also the filter. That said, you should be ok. It could be much worse. I suggest using Pennzoil Platinum and an OEM oil filter in the future, and changing both every 5K miles. Also, the cracked pistons were on the 2nd Gen 1.4 engines. Yours should be fine if you run good oil.

Anyway, if you still have issues after doing this stuff you are going to want to pick up an OBD2 scanner. They are very useful and you can get one for about $15.

Registered
Well, first things first that battery is nearly dead. The engine is barely turning over. You need to charge the battery. In the past, I have seen engines that crank (much better than yours) but still not have enough voltage to run the ignition system. Because I can tell you this for a fact, your engine isn't even close to starting. Most likely it has no fuel or spark.

Just a list of generic stuff it "could" be.

P0300 GMC code possible causes
  • Faulty spark plug (s)
  • Faulty ignition coil (s)
  • Clogged or faulty fuel injector (s)
  • Intake air leak
  • Fuel injectors harness is open or shorted
  • Fuel Injectors circuit poor electrical connection
  • Ignition coils harness is open or shorted
  • Ignition coils circuit poor electrical connection
  • Insufficient cylinders compression
  • Incorrect fuel pressure

Registered
I'll start with some good news, you don't seem to have a blown head gasket. (y)
And I still think this is very fixable.

1) Part number and vendor of the coil you installed?
2) Part number, vendor and gap setting of those spark plugs?
3) When you installed the plugs did you use any antiseize or grease?

As a general rule, all work on engines require the surfaces to be clean and the part torqued down. Aluminum and plastic parts are unforgiving.
You need to clean all the spark plug wells out. Start with a vacuum, then get the rest out with a clean shop towel and some alcohol. Do NOT push or drop anything, including the dirt, into the cylinders.
The compression ring on the spark plug and the seat on the engine need to be clean. Those spark plug seats look like dog deuce. It is impossible to correctly torque anything on dirty matting surfaces.
Because the plugs are so new it is hard to read them. I'm leaning toward weak ignition strength, hence all my questions.
That one plug with a big glob on it, that maybe have come from the intake after being knocked loose from the valve cover work.
I wouldn't worry about any possible PCV issue right now, lets get the engine running first.
I would go buy another set of cheap copper plugs and install them. Clean up and keep the ones you have now for later.

First chance, go fill up on premium gas. And put in a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts