Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to list everything that I believe is important in order to obtain help on this forum.
Please indicate if additional information is needed, and I will provide it asap.
This is my step-son’s car: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT; 1.4L turbo; 100,984 miles.
Oil leak with check engine light (code P0171), and PVC check valve nipple missing.
No hissing sound, and no rpm change by covering vent hole on PCV regulator diaphragm, or by removing engine oil dip stick.
Verified turbo inlet check valve working correctly.
Installed GM / Delco Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid Gaskets, even though neither gasket appeared to be leaking oil.
Installed Fel-Pro valve cover gasket set (including o-rings for bolts). Tightened in accordance with sequence chart to 71 INCH lbs.
Installed CruzeKit V3.3+. Double checked to make sure that I installed the check valve facing the correct direction.
Installed Fel-Pro intake manifold gasket. Could not find a tightening sequence chart (alternated 6 bolts starting from center). Torqued to 15 ft. lbs.
Cleaned entire engine bay & underbody of Cruze of all oil residue.
Cruze does not appear to be leaking oil while idling, or after traveling at 30 mph, both while up to normal operating temperature.
However, after above drive, at 55 mph white / grey smoke comes from under car (not tailpipe). Found oil underneath intake manifold (see attached pic).
Coolant reservoir level has not dropped. Engine oil is not milky. So, I don’t suspect the head gasket.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for helping.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,709 Posts
Have you boost leak tested it? Oil may be coming from oil cooler behind turbo as well and wicking around with wind.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,709 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thebigzeus,

Thank you for the video link. I have watched it.
I am going to order the boost / coolant leak test kit from CruzeKits.
My next post will be after I have received the boost / coolant leak test kit & tested.

Thanks,
loose_nut

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thebigzeus,
The Turbo Boost & Coolant Leak Test Kit arrived.
The good news - the boost leak test kit worked great.
The bad news - multiple leaks. The leaks sound like they are at the: charge pipe connection to the throttle body; & intake manifold.
In the video, Andrei stated that the seal at the throttle body is terrible / horrendous.
But, I can't find anything on this site (or anywhere else) regarding how to fix that leak.
As mentioned in my original post, I have already replaced the intake manifold gasket & double checked the 15 ft. lb. torque setting.
What else can I do to eliminate the intake manifold leak?
Thanks in advance for any help & ideas,
loose_nut

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,709 Posts
I had to tighten my intake manifold worm clamp with a socket instead of a screwdriver to et it tight enough to not leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TheBigZeus,
Ok, I understand what you did. I think I'll try to find the biggest clamp that will fit & then crank the "crap" out of it.
Any ideas for the intake manifold leak?
My only thought on this subject (& I hate the expense) is to buy the Dorman improved intake manifold. Maybe I didn't get the CruzeKit PCV FixKit plug superglued into the intake manifold correctly.
Thanks again,
loose_nut
P.S. As an aside, our last dog was a Dogo Argentino named Zeus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts