Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has her car get to 20% oil life about 3000-4000KM faster than my Cruze.
I could understand a little difference, but that is major. She actually has the longer commute than I do.

Her life will get to 0% even before the KM total for her next recommended maintenance while I can go 3-4k over that.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
One 2012 has been reprogrammed by the dealer as part of a recall programming of the ECM (Engine Control Module) The early 2012's like mine, that have not been back to the dealer for a flash go 10,000 miles between oil changes in ideal conditions. The 2012.5 to 2016 limited were changed to 5,000 miles in ideal conditions. GM determined that their ACDelco synthetic blend oil, couldn't cut the mustard for the 10,000 mile interval.

I don't want this to turn into a oil change thread, change it when you feel comfortable, based on the quality of oil your using. All AcDelco DEXOS1 now is full synthetic I believe. But that's a recently new change.

I bet the one that goes the longest has a very early 2012 build date on the sticker in the passenger door. Might even have a late 2011 build date.. Mine was built in July 2011 and I had it in hand in September 2011.

·
10,712 Posts
Besides the ECU recall, are both cars driven and idled identically on the same exact mile trips? Your commute could totally be ideal distance vs speed where hers is slow speeds, jerky start stops, idle, up and down hills or simply driving at speeds where the rpms are in almost full boost.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One 2012 has been reprogrammed by the dealer as part of a recall programming of the ECM (Engine Control Module) The early 2012's like mine, that have not been back to the dealer for a flash go 10,000 miles between oil changes in ideal conditions. The 2012.5 to 2016 limited were changed to 5,000 miles in ideal conditions. GM determined that their ACDelco synthetic blend oil, couldn't cut the mustard for the 10,000 mile interval.

I don't want this to turn into a oil change thread, change it when you feel comfortable, based on the quality of oil your using. All AcDelco DEXOS1 now is full synthetic I believe. But that's a recently new change.

I bet the one that goes the longest has a very early 2012 build date on the sticker in the passenger door. Might even have a late 2011 build date.. Mine was built in July 2011 and I had it in hand in September 2011.

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense and it does seem hers goes down twice as fast. Both are drives are in the country with no stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wait, so the oil life thing is just a mileage counter?

...and here I was thinking someone finally got a clue and started putting particle counters in their oil system.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Wait, so the oil life thing is just a mileage counter?

...and here I was thinking someone finally got a clue and started putting particle counters in their oil system.
No particle counters, but not just a mileage counter either. It's an algorithm that factors in temperatures, starts and stops, idle time, boost levels, etc...to calculate an estimated oil change interval

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Yep, they re-programmed these on new ECU updates and on 2013+ models from the factory (might even include late 2012 models). The oil life monitor reaches 0 much faster. I guess the oil they ended up using was much worse than the oil they had designed the engine for.

I don't mind, I let my un-updated ECU run down to 0% (10,500 miles), and reset it again. I don't change the oil till 15,000 miles, on AMSOIL Signature Series.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, I guess that's better than a plain ol' mileage counter.

The hybrids really need something like that... even at 10K miles, my oil was pristine.

I was planning on using Mobile One synthetic... I don't see AMSOil out here, unless I order it online.

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Well, I guess that's better than a plain ol' mileage counter.

The hybrids really need something like that... even at 10K miles, my oil was pristine.

I was planning on using Mobile One synthetic... I don't see AMSOil out here, unless I order it online.
M1 is better than the stuff the dealer puts in these cars, but it's not as good as it once was.

I can get you AMSOIL shipped directly, and it would cost you about the same for one change of AMSOIL as it would for two of Mobil 1, but would save you some time if you took advantage of the 15k mile capability.

Hybrids are another topic altogether; those engines run very light loads (or not at all, at times).

·
Registered
190 Posts
M1 is better than the stuff the dealer puts in these cars, but it's not as good as it once was.

I can get you AMSOIL shipped directly, and it would cost you about the same for one change of AMSOIL as it would for two of Mobil 1, but would save you some time if you took advantage of the 15k mile capability.

Hybrids are another topic altogether; those engines run very light loads (or not at all, at times).
Yeah, a few hypermilers I know were sending their oil out for analysis.

·
Registered
215 Posts

5K under ideal conditions? I'd seen 7,500, and that corresponds to my '13's always being around 30% at 5,000 mi. intervals.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
XTreme- I love your technical effort and support of this site in all matters Cruze and 1.4L so don't take this negatively.

To everyone let's work hard to keep threads on topic and not turn everything into an oil promotion or an oil change thread.

There's plenty of threads on oil changes, oil types, procedures, and debates of which is better. Extreme is a Vendor in the Vendor thread portion of the forum. If you need products please take the discussion there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
XTreme- I love your technical effort and support of this site in all matters Cruze and 1.4L so don't take this negatively.

To everyone let's work hard to keep threads on topic and not turn everything into an oil promotion or an oil change thread.

There's plenty of threads on oil changes, oil types, procedures, and debates of which is better. Extreme is a Vendor in the Vendor thread portion of the forum. If you need products please take the discussion there.
My apologies for diverting the thread.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.