Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Cruze 1.8l, it keeps showing low oil pressure while idling but goes away when moving, the oil was just changed and has been well maintained since I've had the car, I had an overheating issue which I changed the thermostat, housing, heater hose, throttle cooling line, solved the heating problem. Had an issue after that of car running rough, loss of power, had it checked by a mechanic and ended up replacing the coil pack and plugs and replaced the valve cover gasket, it then started flashing low oil pressure, changed the oil pressure sensor and then had to fix the little plastic arm on the intake manifold positioning sensor, it still says oil pressure low, I am broke and have spent what little I had to try and repair this junking Chevy, when car broke down I lost my job because I couldn't drive it, I need this car moving and I have reached my end with this car, I don't know what to do at this point, I don't have the money to take it to the dealer and I know a little about working on cars but this is beyond me, I need help figuring this out, please any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the oil pressure is low but when you're parked on flat ground, what is the oil level showing?
Well the oil pressure is low but when you're parked on flat ground, what is the oil level showing?
It is full, it's exactly on the mark, I park on my carport that is level, I keep checking the oil to make sure it's not losing any, it idles fine until it drops below 1500 rpm, then it says low pressure

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
Three main causes for that:
The viscosity index improvers in your oil are depleted, or your oil is diluted with gas.

Your oil pump is worn out.

Plain bearings (crank, cam, connecting rods) are worn out.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Taxman is right! Check first the oil level and see how it is (too low or too high). Then.. I hope your mechanic didn't change the oils with something cheaper (or wrong) that may not be the oil it should be.. If I were you I'd buy and change myself the oil with the proper one and see what happens. If that doesn't fix the issue then I'd investigate further.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Pull the sensor out and screw in a pressure gauge. Get a reading at idle and high rpm. Cold engine and warm engine. Warm engines will have lower pressure then cold engines.

Do you have the light when the engine is cold idle? When pressure is higher.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Taxman is right! ... If I were you I'd buy and change myself the oil with the proper one and see what happens. If that doesn't fix the issue then I'd investigate further.
I agree with this. Oil is cheap.

Failing that, I'd pull the valve cover and check the mechanic's work. The problem starter after he did that. (I can't see coil and plugs being a factor.) Perhaps something is plugging up the return holes or blocking a passageway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with my Chevy Cruze 1.6L 2012 model, it overheated and many things were fixed and replaced and the overheating was solved, came back with no power struggling to pickup and with low oil pressure coming when Rpms get below 1500 but when pressing up, the low oil pressure warning goes off! Is there any non return valve maybe the machanic might have not installed or any damaged valves on or along the oil system? Any input will mean a lot to me I’m in South Africa 🇿🇦

1 - 8 of 8 Posts