Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just recently started seeing this messageappearing on my information centre.

Oil Pressure Low Stop Engine

Both times, the car was stopped briefly (filling up withgas) & then restarted. The message came on after start up and lastedapprox. 7-10 seconds.

Has anyone else experienced this issue before?

The car is a 2012 LTZ with approx. 25000kms on it.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
You should really take your car to the dealership as soon as possible. Have you checked your oil level? Low oil pressure is a serious issue that should be looked at immediately.

·
Administrator
25,536 Posts
First, check your oil level. Low oil level can trigger this warning. If it's low, fill it and then keep an eye on it to ensure you don't have a leak. If your oil level is right I would give your dealership a call. They should be able to read the codes and repair your car. Most likely it's either a faulty sensor or oil pump.

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
This engine uses a variable displacement oil pump......that means it essentially adjusts the oil pressure (and volume) to its needs based on oil temperature and rpm.
Most likely, the system is just fine and the sending unit that reads pressure is the culprit.
However, a dealer trip is in order......this so they can install a mechanical gauge to verify there is or is not a mechanical problem.
If the gauge indicates normal pressure functions, then the sending unit will be replaced.......don't dally around though.
If the pressure is low, serious internal engine damage will result.

Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had it into the Chevy dealer today & they determined the problem to be an incorrectly installed aftermarket oil filter. I have serious questions about that diagnosis so I thought I'd bounce it off any of you who are more knowledgeable than I. We had our oil change done on 05Nov2013 at a local non-dealer garage that we've been using for years. We have the utmost faith in their knowledge of cars & integrity in their business practices. We had no problems with this issue after the oil change. Then on 20Nov2013, we had the Cruze into the same Chevy dealer for a recall to replace the brake vacuum micro switch. It was only a day or so after the recall work that we started having the problem with the "Oil Pressure Low Stop Engine" indicator coming on intermittently. So call me crazy, but I don't think it's a stretch to think that something happened during the recall work that resulted in the "Oil Pressure Low Stop Engine" indicator coming on. Does anyone know where this brake vacuum micro switch is located in relation to the oil filter? Could the oil filter have been banged during the recall work & created this problem? I guess we'll find out for sure in the next week if the problem is resolved. We spoke with our local garage who did the oil change & they laughed at the dealer's diagnosis saying that it isn't rocket science attaching an oil filter & it's a convenient excuse for the dealer to make when the problem first started after they performed recall work on our Cruze. It burns my ass paying out of pocket for what I suspect is a screw up on the dealer's part.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback Robby.....I just posted my dealership experience while you were posting your message. You sound like you know the Cruze engine very well...any thoughts on the diagnosis of an incorrectly installed oil filter that created no problems for us until a visit to the dealer for a recall?

·
Administrator
15,699 Posts
If the sensor goes off intermittently, then it is a sensor or sending unit problem, not a filter problem. Pressure will be maintained even if the filter is bypassed, so they are pulling your leg on that one. I would get GM customer service involved on this as soon as possible. They should be responding shortly.

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Robby.....I just posted my dealership experience while you were posting your message. You sound like you know the Cruze engine very well...any thoughts on the diagnosis of an incorrectly installed oil filter that created no problems for us until a visit to the dealer for a recall?
I have very little confidence with any non factory filter.......I'll leave it at that.

As far as any relation between the recall and the current concern......absolutely not.....the switch that was replaced lives next to the master cylinder and remove/replacement takes less than two minutes......the wire connector that is removed/reinstalled is not part of the oil pressure harness.

It just happened at close to the same time, but no, not related.

Rob

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi nielboy,

Here is the information for GM of Canada in case you need it.

GM of Canada

Customer Care Center:1-800-263-3777
Customer Care Center hours of operation are:Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (E.S.T.)Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) Closed Sundays

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
For years, GM has been using an oil pressure switch that closes and makes contact with as little as 2.5 psi pressure, even on their oil gauge equipped vehicles. Regardless of temperature, engine speed, will always read midway, a dirty trick in my opinion. Provided the pressure is above 2.5 psi.

Looks like the Cruze is using the same kind of a switch, but a bulb instead, so if that bulb is igniting, and that switch is good, your oil pressure is below, I assume, 2.5 psi.

Up to the late 50's, were using a real oil pressure gauge with a tube running to the engine, ha, if that fitting came loose would have hot oil dripping on your legs. Then out of nowhere, this pressure switch and a light bulb replaced a true gauge. Was shocked and have no idea, even to this way, why they picked 2.5 psi for the trip point. So with these cars, would always add a real aftermarket gauge, tube and all.

Also at the time, and still have it, a standard oil pressure gauge, Made in the USA even, and always tested the oil pressure, in particular when buying a used vehicle. Never hooked this gauge to my Cruze, and why should I? With a 100K mile power train warranty.

But if that oil lamp is flashing, you really have serious problems. Being extra paranoid, purchased a half a dozen genuine Delco filters from rockauto.com, not only genuine Delco, but also at the lowest price compared to local prices.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, got carried away again.

The very first thing your dealer should have done, if he didn't, was to attach a standard oil pressure gauge to that engine. If he suspected the filter, and the pressure was low on that gauge, would have skyrocketed after that change.

Otherwise, just guessing. 40-60 psi is what I would suspect for normal readings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2013 LS with 15,000 miles on it. Essentially brand new. I am on my second oil change. I have had the oil pressue warning a total of 4 times so far. I shut the car off for a few seconds and then turn it back on and everything is fine. I have yet to have the car in for service for this issue because my schedule is hectic. It should be noted, that this is my second 2013 cruze. The first one had issues with a "A/C off due to high engine temperature" message." It was in the dealership for service like 2 months out of the first 3 months we had the car. Brand new, no miles off the lot. After a huge ordeal and me threatening a lawsuit over the lemon law, GM replaced the vehicle with the cruze that I currently have. This new cruze, after about 5k miles, had the same "AC off due to high engine temperature" message occur. After a trip to the dealership for the same issue, they had finally issued a fix for the problem and it currently seems to be resolved. Now I am having this issue with the low oil pressure warning. At tax time, I will be trading my vehicle in for a non GM product. Seems there are many issues, and not just with the cruzes. I will be losing money by trading it off, but its no longer worth the hassle that these Cruzes have given me.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
ryanjefferies,

I am sorry to hear you have had this experience. We can certainly look into your concerns. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership. I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
The oil filter on the 1.4l engine is not really something that can be tampered with. Gone are the coffee canisters of yore, and the only replaceable part is the actual filter material, and the o-rings.

The only way to mess up the oil filter would be to forget to install an o-ring, and that really wouldn't create an issue other than a possible leak. But like NickD said, there is a 100k warranty (is it 160k in Canada?).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my 2011 LT. It just started with 61k miles.

Regular oil changes, synth oil, decoding compliant. Had it to the dealer and they were unable to duplicate it, but they verified oil pressure is fine.

It's happened 3 times, all after a short shut down, and a restart cures it.

I noted the engine doesn't sound different when it occurs, which leads me to believe its a sensor glitch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a friend that has a 2012 cruze that has had this same issue on several occasions over the past year. I told him to take it in and at least get it checked out. Happens right after he starts car, then he shuts it off and fires back up and everything is fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, I'm glad others are starting to have this problem. Mine started doing this right at about 50,000 miles. I took it to the dealership and they said it's $300 to diagnose, no warranty because the sender isn't the powertrain. So I messaged chevy customer service (Erica Tiffany) on here as well back in September. She basically said too bad, it's going to cost money to fix. I then politely explained that I really won't worry about it. Because if my oil pressure is low the motor will seize and THEN it will be covered under warranty. Either way, I'm still driving the car and I still get the warning message. I just ignore it, because that's the best I can do. It does rattle pretty loud when I start it up these days, but oh well right?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
This is the nine buck switch we are talking about.

Easy to unscrew and use a pressure gauge to see the actual engine pressure. Can also be tested with air pressure to learn at what pressure the contacts open at.

Historically, ha, noted for this, dash gauge was a real oil pressure gauge with an 1/8" oil tube running to it. Then was changed to a way overpriced potentiometric type sender using an electric meter. Then to this POS for lack of a better word. And if Made in China, a real POS sender. Have no idea who determined 2.5 psi pressure is sufficient, seems like 10 psi is more in order.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, having a similar issue with daughters 2012 Cruze. Already been to the dealer shop once, they replaced the oil pressure sensor. Worked for a few days but the message returned...now, once the car is up to normal operating temperature...the LOW OIL pressure message is on constantly. The dealer changed the oil at the same time the sensor was replaced as well. Oil Life is at 96%. It's back to the dealer today for another look see. Car only has 12000 Miles on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts