Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a new 2012 cruze eco At..I know about all the new car plastics burning in and other smells when new, but I definatly smelling burnt oil smell at idle (when I come to a stop after driving and warmed up) coming though the fresh air vent on number 1 fan speed...i looked in the engine and i dont see and oil anywhere...Any ideas? Its getting me sick! of course when im on recirculate i cant smell it, but a soon as i roll down the window at a drive through, there it is...no smoke .anybody else have this issue?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I can on mine, 2011 with 20k miles I pulled the intake going to the throttle body from the intercooler and the was a displeasing amount of oil in it...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have recently bought a new 2012 cruze eco At..I know about all the new car plastics burning in and other smells when new, but I definatly smelling burnt oil smell at idle (when I come to a stop after driving and warmed up) coming though the fresh air vent on number 1 fan speed...i looked in the engine and i dont see and oil anywhere...Any ideas? Its getting me sick! of course when im on recirculate i cant smell it, but a soon as i roll down the window at a drive through, there it is...no smoke .anybody else have this issue?
make sure the oil filler cap is on correctly as there was a TSB about this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just started to smell the same yesterday. I noticed it after letting it warm up before heading out to work. Thought maybe it had something to do with the cold weather as it was in the single digits. Guess I'll have to check the filler cap. Mine's a 2011, about 12k miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been dealing withnthe same issue for a few months now. Everything and everyone would smell oil after being inside the car for a long time. The dealer seems to have a failed sense of smell and refuses to acknowledge the smell. Its a heath concern to me when me and my young one is inside. I have to open the window even on a -30c day.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Wow, something is wrong, I swear my wife has a far superior smeller than my German Shepherd dog. Absolutely no complaints from her since our 2012 2LT was new.

How about checking your dipstick every morning with the car parked in the same spot and before you even start the car. Don't even have to wipe it off, just pull it up and look at it. Is it going down? I do that frequently, still have 30% oil life remaining. Still at the same level, but getting dark. I am waiting for a tad warmer day and less snow so I can shovel all that road salt crap off my garage floor. Getting to the point where I don't like that crap dripping in my face when its time to change the oil.

·
Administrator
25,486 Posts
If the dipstick is securely pushed in and the oil fill and filter caps are on properly and not mis-threaded you should not be smelling oil. Take it in.

·
Registered
348 Posts
add me to this list. '12 5,5k. only when car is warmed up and at a long stop(dropping kid off at dc or long stoplight) smell goes away within a min of driving again. checked filler cap and oil filter cap but not dipstick. will check that tom. i hate bringing in my car for things like this becuase they alway seem to say everything is great and theres no problem with the car. someday ill get to the dealer

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
You must have a better nose than my wife, removed the cap from an oil bottle and told her to take a sniff, could barely detect an odor. Maybe because it was cold.

Would be far more concerned with coolant leaks, many reported here so far, so can be deadly.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,800 Posts
You must have a better nose than my wife, removed the cap from an oil bottle and told her to take a sniff, could barely detect an odor. Maybe because it was cold.

Would be far more concerned with coolant leaks, many reported here so far, so can be deadly.
Never had an oil leak onto a hot part of an engine?

It smells like @#$^. Terrible smell that will make you sick.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

rcclockman,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your Cruze. I would recommend that you have your dealer look into this for you. Please keep me posted and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Never had an oil leak onto a hot part of an engine?

It smells like @#$^. Terrible smell that will make you sick.
OP said it wasn't a burnt oil odor, read back. Of course I can smell burnt oil, even see it, namely from trucks and school buses that aren't required to meet EPA requirements that little tiny cars have to do.

·
5,722 Posts
I have been dealing withnthe same issue for a few months now. Everything and everyone would smell oil after being inside the car for a long time. The dealer seems to have a failed sense of smell and refuses to acknowledge the smell. Its a heath concern to me when me and my young one is inside. I have to open the window even on a -30c day.

Roncruiser,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are having with your Cruze. I would like to look into this for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer? I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thank you,

·
5,722 Posts
I would recommend if you are having this issue that you contact your dealer and have them look into this for you. Also, please keep me posted. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had changed my oil about a week ago , same thing slight oil smell.... Oil cap was 180 deg off when tightened , I made sure the writing was towards the front and dot on cap was also. The smell is now gone. It never leaked just smelled a little which my guess is blowby was sneaking past..... It is back:(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts