Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
You must have a better nose than my wife, removed the cap from an oil bottle and told her to take a sniff, could barely detect an odor. Maybe because it was cold.

Would be far more concerned with coolant leaks, many reported here so far, so can be deadly.

BIG news might be coming soon about the coolant smell! Keep watching ABC TV!:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a burning oil smell after I did my first oil change, but that was quickly replace by the antifreeze smell. Thanks gm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have recently bought a new 2012 cruze eco At..I know about all the new car plastics burning in and other smells when new, but I definatly smelling burnt oil smell at idle (when I come to a stop after driving and warmed up) coming though the fresh air vent on number 1 fan speed...i looked in the engine and i dont see and oil anywhere...Any ideas? Its getting me sick! of course when im on recirculate i cant smell it, but a soon as i roll down the window at a drive through, there it is...no smoke .anybody else have this issue?
Ive had my car in 5 times for the same issue and the dealer can never smell the oil smell...I have a 2011 with 920000km now...have you gotten yours figured out yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco model and I kept smelling and seeing smoke coming from engine, I have had them change the cam shaft covers as there was a leak in the seal, they also changed the coolant pump which i guess there was a service recall on it, and last I had them replace the seals to the oil bypass lines as that was showing we thought was the cause but I am still smelling oil at times. It only happens when you either put the engine under pressure when you go from a stopped position or as traffic is bad in tampa florida area stop go stop go traffic seems to bring out that smell, dealership in tarpon springs fl think I am crazy as i have brought it in so many times i think they cringe every time they see me. Any help on this would be great. the only has 77K miles

·
Registered
325 Posts
Oil Cooler leaking down the side of the block, dripping on the exhaust and burning off before it reaches the ground and that is what you smell? At least that is what was my issue...2012 1LT 1.4l turbo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check your valve cover (The whole valve cover. NOT THE GASKET)it has a built-in PCV valve which will cause high intake pressure if it's clogged and you cannot unclog it you have to buy a valve cover. It will cause a poisonous odor during a idol. Like burning oil. We tried everything. It also would sometimes make the turbo Mount function. Also this was a 2013 Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo. I believe it's the same for the 1.8 engines as well and probably many other GM newer engines There's also a permanent fix for it because it apparently happens a lot I'll put the link below... Anyways I Hope this helps!! ☮✌😎

·
Registered
Holden Cruze 1.8L 2012. 63k miles odometer (15-03-2020).
95 Posts
Probably leaking Oil Cooler. Inspect your exhaust pipe just before the catalytic convertor. It drips on it and smokes. An oil change will make it smoke more because the fresh oil is thinner.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts