Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used Mobil 1 for years but this is my first turbo engine. Should i stay the course with Mobil 1 EP?

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
If it's on there, it's at least acceptable. The higher the tier, the better. It's not an end all, be all list but a decent place to start for your own research. That said, today's Mobil 1 isn't as good as it used to be.

·
Registered
215 Posts
As long as you stay well within the recommended change interval, a Mobil 1 full synthetic should be more than adequate. I ran my car on Valvoline Synpower for the first 50,000 mi, but switched to Schaeffer's last fall and extended my interval to 7,500 mi. It also bears mentioning, if you haven't found talk of it yet, that your car will run better and it'll be better for it to use at least 89 octane fuel. The 1.4L has had a so-so reliability record, but in many cases that was caused by GM's overly optimistic maintenance recommendations (primarily for oil) and owners erring on the lazy side of observing it rather than the conservative side. Just observe the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual, use good fuel and oil, and it'll likely be very good to you in return.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as you stay well within the recommended change interval, a Mobil 1 full synthetic should be more than adequate. I ran my car on Valvoline Synpower for the first 50,000 mi, but switched to Schaeffer's last fall and extended my interval to 7,500 mi. It also bears mentioning, if you haven't found talk of it yet, that your car will run better and it'll be better for it to use at least 89 octane fuel. The 1.4L has had a so-so reliability record, but in many cases that was caused by GM's overly optimistic maintenance recommendations (primarily for oil) and owners erring on the lazy side of observing it rather than the conservative side. Just observe the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual, use good fuel and oil, and it'll likely be very good to you in return.
Yea I have only put 200 miles on it and it shows 85% life on the DIC. Dealer must have put some cheapo oil in. I think I will just run M1 at lower intervals than I did in my last car.

I want to keep this car running well as i kept my last car for 10 years and it is still running great just with a new owner.

·
Registered
49 Posts
People say Amsoil full synthetic is amasing, I havent yet tried because I live in canada and don't have access to it, so I just use Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic (which is also very popular) and it's great. I always say one thing people should always try and do/learn themselves is an oil change. You'll always know what's going in the engine and making sure the oil filter has been changed. It cost nearly 100$ for an oil change where I am, where as by buying the products and changing yourself you can add 50$ to your pocket to buy something else for your cruze and it takes less then an hour of your time

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,349 Posts
Yea I have only put 200 miles on it and it shows 85% life on the DIC. Dealer must have put some cheapo oil in. I think I will just run M1 at lower intervals than I did in my last car.

I want to keep this car running well as i kept my last car for 10 years and it is still running great just with a new owner.
The car has no idea what oil you put in it. The OLM is based off an algorithm taking into account run time, mileage driven, engine temperature, and # of cold starts.

It would be best not to go beyond the OLM recommendation unless YOU know that the oil can do so.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The car has no idea what oil you put in it. The OLM is based off an algorithm taking into account run time, mileage driven, engine temperature, and # of cold starts.

It would be best not to go beyond the OLM recommendation unless YOU know that the oil can do so.
That's correct at the end of the day it does not matter which oil brand you actually put in they are all made to SAE standards , as long as you follow viscocity and type of oil (regular vs. synthetic) but I guess it's always just easier to trust a known brand vs something you've never heard of :giggle:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. My cruze didn't like Mobil 1 Extended Performance at all, it idled rough and lost fuel mileage on Mobil 1. The best two i've found it likes is the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Amsoil Sig Series. Best of luck.

Reactions: cruze01
1 - 11 of 11 Posts