Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I've used up the 2yr/24k maintenance for my Cruze Diesel, I'm trying to decide what oil to use from here on. One factor that will play a big role is where and how I can obtain it, especially living in a rural area where my choice of parts stores is limited and selection at the ones we do have can sometimes be limited as well.

I can get the AMSOil Low-Saps European from a local dealer, and so far it may be the most cost-effective option when things like shipping are included. I've located some Dexos2-certified Castrol Edge through Amazon that is about the same price as the AMSOil, and I've seen occasional Ebay listings for some of my other preferred oils, but they're rare and shipping costs put the price of 5 liters around $100. It seems that the Mobil1 ESP is the most readily-available (Advance Auto, PepBoys, etc.) but the cost is about equal to the AMSOil, so wonder why bother with them instead of just going with the AMSOil.

These are the oils I would favor, other than the AMSOil, if they were readily available and cost-effective (All in 5W-30 grade, but would consider 0W-30 as long as Dexos2-certified):

Mobil1 ESP
Mobil Super3000 XE
Mobil Super3000 Formula 6

Castrol Edge C3 (or any of the several Castrol 5W-30 products that are Dexos2-certified)

Valvoline SynPowerMST
Valvoline SynPower Xtreme MST C3
Valvoline SynPower Xtreme XL-III C3

I've been a consistent Valvoline user for most of the past 10 years, and would prefer that most highly, but it is looking like their C3 oils are almost impossible to find in the U.S.

Does anyone know where it is possible to obtain any of the above oils online or in the U.S. without paying excessive shipping? I've got about 6 weeks until I need to have this oil on hand and ready for my next service.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just order it online from a GM direct source (there are plenty of them on the net). I paid about $75 for a case(12 qts.) delivered of GM dexos 2 oil and got the filters from rockauto. I could not find it at any parts stores around me that stocked any dexos2 certified. GM brand was the cheapest I could find believe it or not. Took about a week to 10 days to get .

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I just order it online from a GM direct source (there are plenty of them on the net). I paid about $75 for a case(12 qts.) delivered of GM dexos 2 oil and got the filters from rockauto. I could not find it at any parts stores around me that stocked any dexos2 certified. GM brand was the cheapest I could find believe it or not. Took about a week to 10 days to get .
you get what you pay for

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you get what you pay for
It's looking like it will be the AMS unless one of my contacts can get me the Valvoline at a reasonable price. My guy quoted me the AMS at just barely more than oem Dexos2. Im not looking for the cheapest thing, just a decent synthetic without spending as much on the shipping as the oil.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
you won`t go wrong with amsoil but the techs at amsoil rec the mid saps 5/40.
The 5W-30 low saps is a really thick 30 weight coming in with a cSt 100C viscosity of 12.2. The SAE-40 scale starts at 12.6. It is very close to the mid saps 5W-40. The lower SAPS content however will further reduce DPF clogging and improve DPF life, and the additive package should be suitable for the relatively light duty of this 2.0T. Both should perform admirably.

Given a performance over price approach that AMSOIL has taken with products since they started in 1972, I would trust either of these to provide more bang for the buck than any other competing product.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
I, and a few others on the board, run Total Quartz INEO MC3 5w30 dexos2 registered synthetic oil.

I went with this primarily because it is a dexos2 registered product in the recommended viscosity. Plus, after some negotiation I was able to score a group buy through the distributor. I have cases of the stuff in my basement.

Everyone has an opinion on oil. And I don't want to start any arguments here or bruise any relationships. But here is my opinion.

Amsoil probably makes the best oils available on the retail market - but none are dexos2 registered in the recommended viscosity. So I had to find something else.

Mobil 1 has been in all of my previous internal combustion engines, including snow thrower and lawnmower. But they too don't have a dexos2 registered product in the recommended viscosity. So I had to find something else.

The GM oil is dexos2 registered and in the correct viscosity, but it is a semi-synthetic - and a member here raised a lot of anxieties and haram scarem 18 months ago about using it. So I had to find something else.

Thats is how I settled on the Total product. They used to market their oils under the Elf brand and are highly active in F1 racing.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I used the Total Quartz until my last oil change then I switched to the Amsoil 5W30. Testing shows the Total Quartz to be a good extended interval oil. I will post my test results with the Amsoil when I get about 15000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Any low-mid saps oil in the 5w30 to 5w40 range with a hths of 3.5 or higher is what you want in your engine. also any oil meeting mercedes benz's current diesel spec which is more difficult to meet then dexos2 is an excellent choice as well....

·
Registered
33 Posts
If Amsoil, Euro 5w40 or 5w30 flavors, is the easiest to get a hold of that may be the best route. They're not that many Dexos 2 licensed oils stateside, especially a quality one. Unfortunately, online is where we have to shop. As far as oils, Amsoil Euro, Motul 8100 X-Clean, Total Quartz, and Ardeca SYNTH-DX and SYNTH-BT are available online. All of these oils carry multiple mfr. VW, MB recommendations, shoot even Amsoil Euro 5w40 is officially on the Mercedes Benz MB229.51 recommended oil list.

Overall, without any discounts/member pricing, you're looking at anywhere from $38 - $65 online for quality Dexos 2 oil without oil filter and shipping costs. Also if you can't find Dexos 2, any oil meeting ACEA C3-10 and mid-saps should be fine. If you're close to a NAPA auto store, maybe talk to them about euro oils they can order for you to avoid shipping costs. However due to GM's marketing of the Cruze diesel, I don't think we'll see any improvement in oil availability any time soon due to the specifics of the Dexos 2 licensing. Which is another topic in and of itself.

Also, if oil analysis is something you'd want to do, a small investment in an oil analysis pump will become very handy.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
I suspect that the 2.8 Duramax will call for dexos2 oil.

If this is the case, then the demand for it will increase exponentially.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
If you look at the overall operating costs of a car, the cost difference between oil brands and shipping/picking up are almost negligible.

I personally would set aside the cost portion of the argument, do your research and pick a good oil that you like for whatever reason, has whatever certs make YOU feel warm and fuzzy inside, and make your move.

Unless one oil literally costs twice what another does I don't think it's worth too much concern... the BITOG forum is full of people who get-off on saving $2 on a jug of oil 1-2 times per year, or question someone else's choice in oil over similar amounts. Spread out as a cost-per-mile, it's noise. My humble opinion. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
+1.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
I suspect that the 2.8 Duramax will call for dexos2 oil.

If this is the case, then the demand for it will increase exponentially.
It is worth noting, GM's dexos specifications are not viscosity-specific. You can get a dexos2 oil in a 5W-40 and a dexos1 oil in a 5W-20.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
It is worth noting, GM's dexos specifications are not viscosity-specific. You can get a dexos2 oil in a 5W-40 and a dexos1 oil in a 5W-20.
Yes, GM requires you to have the viscosity correct, and recommends you have the correct Dexos certification, in that order.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
I suspect that Duramax can run on dexos2 - but that it wasn't specified for supply issues.

We, on the other hand, are such a small segment of 9,000 units to date, that we could be supplied.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I think the duramax could run on dexos2 babied as a daily driver but if its used like it's designed for (towing,etc) Im not so sure the dexos2 spec is stout enough. Just my speculation...

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I'm just going to use the AC Delco dexos2 from the dealer at $5.33 a qt for the first two oil changes. I'll take a sample and send it off to see how thing are going.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts