Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned nothing but 4cyl vehicles. I figured am also new car would be close to quiet. My 2015 isn't. I have been told that the fuel injectors on Cruzes sound like ticks. Is this correct? Also, is the Eco Tec feature what prevents the car from "up and going?"

·
2,254 Posts
Yes, there are some ticking caused by the injectors. If you suspect that it's excessive, take it to a dealer and have them look at it.

The Cruze is the quietest car [in its class] I've ever driven from the inside, even when I had the worn out firestones on it.

Do you hear the ticking from the inside?

This car is not built for speed unfortunately. The EcoTec is just a GM engine name, not a exactly a "feature". What prevents the car from going is the itty bitty 1.4L or 1.8L (What trim level do you have?) engines they put in it. Yes, you will get beat by Prius's. Yes, you need to learn not to pull out in front of people. Yes, it ticks us all off that they look cool and fast but they're not.

But that's the joys of owning a Cruze. :D

Cheers!

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
The Ecotec engines are sometimes called Eco Tick engines - they definitely tick but normally not loud enough to be heard in the cabin with the windows up. The reason your car doesn't get up and go is the base engine is 87 HP. The turbo, which starts spooling up around 1400 RPM is what gives this car it's get up and go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it isn't the quietest but it doesn't sound bad. I am just worried cos it is the newest and nicest car I have ever owned.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Yes, there are some ticking caused by the injectors. If you suspect that it's excessive, take it to a dealer and have them look at it.

The Cruze is the quietest car [in its class] I've ever driven from the inside, even when I had the worn out firestones on it.

This car is not built for speed unfortunately. The EcoTec is just a GM engine name, not a exactly a "feature". What prevents the car from going is the itty bitty 1.4L or 1.8L (What trim level do you have?) engines they put in it. Yes, you will get beat by Prius's. Yes, you need to learn not to pull out in front of people. Yes, it ticks us all off that they look cool and fast but their not.

Cheers!
I find my ECO MT to be more that quick enough for 90% of my driving. These cars aren't quick - 14 seconds to a quarter mile - but they are definitely fast enough to require V rated tires.

·
2,254 Posts
I find my ECO MT to be more that quick enough for 90% of my driving. These cars aren't quick - 14 seconds to a quarter mile - but they are definitely fast enough to require V rated tires.
I timed my 0-60 the other day, flat ground, just me, 1/4 tank of gas. No A/C. No weird elevation. Nothing loaded.

11.6 seconds.

There must be something wrong with mine.

I did see a guy on YouTube get his to 135 or something.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,998 Posts
I timed my 0-60 the other day, flat ground, just me, 1/4 tank of gas. No A/C. No weird elevation. Nothing loaded.

11.6 seconds.

I'd say. My manual was around 8-8.5 depending on where/how I'd shift (better times = more clutch abuse). New one is about 7.8 according to phone app, auto. Pretty close to the magazine #'s.

Injectors are loud with the hood open and absolutely nothing to worry about; the purge valve (cylinder-shaped thing) on the back of the intake manifold can sometimes make a super loud ticking noise. If that's what's causing the noise, it's a $20 replacement and 5 minutes of your time.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts

11.6 seconds.

I don't remember which, but it was either Road & Track or Car & Driver that track tested the 2011 ECO MT and found it was aero-drag limited at 137 MPH.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
It doesn't tick from inside it just sounds rumbly I guess, lol. Typical female response.
Not a "female" response. This was a valid question if you weren't aware of the ticking sounds of this engine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd say. My manual was around 8-8.5 depending on where/how I'd shift (better times = more clutch abuse). New one is about 7.8 according to phone app, auto. Pretty close to the magazine #'s.

Injectors are loud with the hood open and absolutely nothing to worry about; the purge valve (cylinder-shaped thing) on the back of the intake manifold can sometimes make a super loud ticking noise. If that's what's causing the noise, it's a $20 replacement and 5 minutes of your time.
8 seconds? In a 1.4T cruze? What am I doing wrong? If I can get to 60 in 10 seconds on my 2014, I'd consider that a good day. I doubt the manual really makes a large difference. Do you have an Eco? Ecos are supposedly geared different and lighter. My 2017 can barely get to 60 in under 8 seconds and it's got DI, about 10 more hp and much better tq. Lighter too.

·
16,998 Posts
8 seconds? In a 1.4T cruze? What am I doing wrong? If I can get to 60 in 10 seconds on my 2014, I'd consider that a good day. I doubt the manual really makes a large difference. Do you have an Eco? Ecos are supposedly geared different and lighter. My 2017 can barely get to 60 in under 8 seconds and it's got DI, about 10 more hp and much better tq. Lighter too.
IIRC the autos were tested around 9.5 seconds with the 2012+ AT. 2011 had shorter ratios, which made for slightly quicker acceleration.

Mine was a 1LT 6M, about 90 lbs heavier than an Eco, with shorter gearing (2nd-3rd) than an Eco.

Yes, the new one feels much quicker in about 99% of driving, even though it's the same geared AT as the old one.

Btw - the 1st gens hate running on 87 octane. It neuters the heck out of throttle and engine response, especially at the low end of the powerband.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Also, is the Eco Tec feature what prevents the car from "up and going?"
Can you describe what you mean by "up and going"? As things warm up, you may find you'll want to go to a higher grade of gasoline. Depending on the mileage, you might want to change sparkplugs. You could be suffering from the computer cutting back the spark advance due to knocking or spark blowout at higher speed.

Mine always does well from a stop line, but has to think if I hit the peddle while moving. If I know it's coming, I can switch to manual and drop a gear to pre-spool the engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use plus gasoline. By getting up and going I mean when I push on the gas, it isn't so quick to take off. I had an 07 Cobalt before so I am still getting used to the differences with having a Cruze. It may be nothing but I just feel like it is slow to take off. Now if I slam on the gas(which I have done once just to see what it would do) it takes off..

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,976 Posts
Btw - the 1st gens hate running on 87 octane. It neuters the heck out of throttle and engine response, especially at the low end of the powerband.
If that is true and I put in 91 octane, If I don't post for a while, it's because I'm in the pokey for going twice the speed limit!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also the shifting is weird. If I start accelerating then pull my foot on the gas it feels like the car jumps. I am hoping this is just because of the cars feature of slowing down when the gas isn't applied. Reassuramce that this is normal would be appreciated!

·
16,998 Posts
Also the shifting is weird. If I start accelerating then pull my foot on the gas it feels like the car jumps. I am hoping this is just because of the cars feature of slowing down when the gas isn't applied. Reassuramce that this is normal would be appreciated!
The 6 speed autos are busy and not the best programmed or smoothest thing around. You may have caught it in the middle of a shift; you may feel the car go into and out of deceleration fuel cutoff (around 1500 rpm). I've noticed that when I let off the gas around 25-28 my car does a weird bobble where it's not quite sure what to do. It will sometimes be in 5th gear by 28 mph.

Keep in mind the Cruze is mostly programmed for fuel economy compared to what you've driven in the past. It will accelerate with as little boost pressure as possible at light throttle applications, ramping it up as you stomp more on the pedal, and it's a HEAVY little car for the amount of power it has under the hood.

·
2,168 Posts
It's my understanding that since the engine valve cover is made of plastic, the valves can be heard clattering away pretty clearly. I hear the eco-tick engine every time I'm in a drive-thru. It's it's an unreasonable amount of noise, I agree it should be looked at.

This car is not built for speed unfortunately. The EcoTec is just a GM engine name, not a exactly a "feature". What prevents the car from going is the itty bitty 1.4L or 1.8L (What trim level do you have?) engines they put in it. Yes, you will get beat by Prius's. Yes, you need to learn not to pull out in front of people. Yes, it ticks us all off that they look cool and fast but they're not.

Cheers!

Coming from a 2.2L Cobalt, even I had to go through all the stages.

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Tune Research
4. Budgeting
5. Crying
6. Acceptance
7. Eventually come around and love the thing as-is. (Optional)

Reactions: sparkman
1 - 20 of 25 Posts