Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
O.k. I'm ready to change the oil, the cruze is got 2000 km ( 1600 miles ). I know it's pre-mature, but I always remove factory oil within 2000 km, and go with the OLM after that, using synthetic oil. The problem I'm facing is, I can't find new stock of mobil1 with the dexos approved label on. I do see Castrol, Pennzoil and Quaker State with the gf-5, sn spec. on the label. I also read that dexos meets the gf-5, sn specs. but gf-5, sn are not up to par with dexos. So my question is, when mobil1 was approved for dexos, did the oil already meet dexo? Or did mobil1 have to re-formulate? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...that answer might be better coming from Mobil1.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What have other people in this forum used, that change their own oil? And is the oil labelled dexos?

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...our dealership changed the oil in our LTZ, but I've been checking the labels of each major oil brand as I see them and only a couple have been labeled as being dexos1™ compliant.

...and the cases of Moble1 5W/30 at CostCo were not dexos1™ compliant.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Granted this is just my opinion...but any full synthetic is way better then a synthetic blend imo and I don't care what GM says....Besides which is a Corvette comes with mobil 1 from the factory what does that tell you?

·
Registered
128 Posts
So what is the correct oil that it should be changed with in order to keep the warranty valid? I plan on keeping an eye out for whatever oil it is supposed to be and stocking up when it goes on sale.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Granted this is just my opinion...but any full synthetic is way better then a synthetic blend imo and I don't care what GM says....Besides which is a Corvette comes with mobil 1 from the factory what does that tell you?
I would even go as far as saying that's a fact, not an opinion. Full synthetic is superior to all...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have been wondering this too. Even Mobil1 on the shelf right now at Walmart doesn't mention the Dexos1 specification. I'll go on the Mobil1 website and see if I can submit a query.

Edit: Query made, now we play the waiting game............. The waiting game sucks, let's play Hungry Hunry Hippos!

·
Registered
57 Posts
As I understand it - a few, but not all major oil companies are getting thier specifc branded oils "certified" to the dexos standard. Note also that many brands are going to the Gxx-5 Standard (if you read the back of the bottle). You can still find oil to the older Gxx-4 standard on many shelves. I personally have my oil changed at the dealer and always ensure they use an Ac-Delco filter. I have used the dexos oil. For topping off - I've used Pennzoil full sythetic to the -5 standard.

Poking around online I've found what I consider the heart of the issue. 1) Decreased oil change frequency - GM wants people to "believe" their oil life monitor. remember oil does not really go bad. It loses its additive pkg and gets dirty....... 2) More anti-foaming agents for the variable valve timing engines. The variable valve timing mechanism operates off oil pressure. Foaming gets inconsistent valvetrain operation as it relates to the "variable" function.

So, I am using Dexos in the Cruze. Mobile 1 is a good product. Am I using dexos in 5.3L v-8 in the Silverado?? no. Thanks for listening to my 2 cents.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A few of you keep referring to the certification like it is its own product. dexos1 is a standard, there is no brand name of oil called dexos1.

The Corvette still rolls out of the factory with Mobil 1 full synthetic in the engine, I just spoke about that with the service department at my dealership. Mobil 1 is dexos1 certified.

To quote the service manager at the dealership, "As long as you can prove you were using it, they will honor your warranty."

·
Registered
277 Posts
Furthermore, if you are referring to "Mobile 1", you have lost a little credibility in my eyes.:)

·
Registered
567 Posts
To quote the service manager at the dealership, "As long as you can prove you were using it, they will honor your warranty."
The proof would be on them that you didn't use it.

I went to Walmart yesterday for some Mobil 1 5-30w but they were out of stock. Instead, I bought Castrol Edge Titanium which meets Dexos1 as per the bottle.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I went ahead and changed the oil today. I used mobil1, the dexos1 certification label wasn't on the bottle. The owners manual does state if dexos1 is not available it's o.k. to go by the API starburst symbol.

On page 10-11:

Use of Substitute Engine Oils if
dexos is unavailable: In the event
that dexos‐approved engine oil is
not available at an oil change or
for maintaining proper oil level,
you may use substitute engine oil
displaying the API Starburst symbol
and of SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade.
Use of oils that do not meet the
dexos specification, however, may
result in reduced performance under
certain circumstances.

For anyone planning on changing their own oil, it's very easy. I was done in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Furthermore, if you are referring to "Mobile 1", you have lost a little credibility in my eyes.:)
Perhaps you could come be my secretary. What I was saying was when they came out with this Dexos spec we were told by GM parts that you could not use Mobil 1 in any engine that required Dexos oil, they did say GM was no longer using it in the Vettes and CTS V, were they right? I don't know. Now they say certain types of Mobil 1 are up to spec, did anything change, beats me, all I can say is GM said "do not use Mobile 1 on engines requiring Dexos oil" when they first came out.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...a "new" specification for technical reasons makes 100% sense, ie: dexos1 (gasoline) and dexos2™ (diesel).

...but, with GM extracting a "licen$ing FEE" from the oil companies just so they can say their oil 'meets' that spec sure sounds like a marketing "scam job" to me.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
...but, with GM extracting a "licen$ing FEE" from the oil companies just so they can say their oil 'meets' that spec sure sounds like a marketing "scam job" to me.
My thoughts exactly! Just because a motor oil isn't Dexos approved doesn't mean it isn't good enough. It could be the best oil money can buy but the company hasn't went through the process to become Dexos certified...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts