Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out of town the past week and my cruze sat for about 8 days. Before I left the OLM was at 42% and then when I drove it today it was at 40% and I drove it about 25 miles on the highway and when I came back it was at 39%.

I don't get why it would go down when I am not driving the car. Then I barely drive it and it drops another percent.
Car is running great (knock on wood) and still doesn't go through a drop of oil between yearly changes.

Temps were nice and cool today too around 60 degrees.

Maybe I am losing my mind I have been going through a lot lately personally but just wondering if anybody else has seen this behavior from their OLM.

I have a 2011 1LT.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'm pretty sure the OLM is programmed to not allow more than a year to pass between oil changes. 8 days is 2% of a year. The short drive might have nudged you over a round-off.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Condition/Concern

Since 2010 all GM vehicles have been equipped with the oil life monitor (OLM) system
The monitor calculates the percent of oil life remaining, based on 3 pathways

The OLM starts its calculation for all pathways after the first 50 miles to account for marshalling and time before sale. Subsequently, calculations begin immediately after each reset.

Recommendation/Instructions
Oil Life Monitor Calculation Pathways:
1. Engine revolutions- Oil life starts with a fixed number of revolutions and will decrease with each revolution. Cold / hot coolant temp readings have multipliers that reduce engine revolutions pathway quicker depending on how far from the normal oil temperature the vehicle is operating.
Note: If engine coolant temp gets above 260F, engine overheat condition, the oil life will go to 0%.

2. Mileage from last reset – Starting with MY 2013, the OLM is capped at 7500 miles for all GM powertrains except the Volt. In perfect conditions a vehicle would reach 7500 miles from the last reset and the oil life left would be 0%.

3. Time- This pathway is a liner function, a fixed decrease in oil life for a given time after the oil life is reset. The oil life will drop to 0% after 1 year regardless of the amount of engine revolutions or how many miles since the reset.

Note: The Volt uses a 2 year timer instead of 1 year. It also uses the engine revolution counter. It does not use the mileage pathway to count down.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Oil Life Monitor Calculation Pathways:
Based on that, it sounds like there's 3 different counters counting down the remaining oil life. The display would show the smallest of the three numbers. Since OP reports going a year between changes, it's probably the time counter that's in the lead in this 3-way race.

Reactions: obermd
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.