Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last GM vehicle with ABS was my 92 DeVille, pulse rate was 10 pulses per second.

My Cruze feels more like 1-2 pulses per second, is this right?

On the DeVille, would feel a very rapid vibration on the brake pedal if ABS was required. On the Cruze its a clunk, clunk, clunk. Really bad if just ice spots on the road between ice and dry pavement. Sounds like the front end suspension is falling apart.

If driving up an icy hill and one of the wheels slip, the traction control light comes on, can feel that wheel braking at the ABS rate, slow, and the engine speed drops practically down to idle. Can't even make it up the hill. Only way is to switch off the TCS/StabiliTrak switch, then behaves like you think it should.

Is this normal?? Certainly not in a skid, know all about skids. Its just that the traction on these crazy roads are not equal for both wheels.

Waiting for your response. Thank you.

Also wish 3rd blower speed was much higher in the climate control, practically running in low speed in other GM vehicle I have owned, way too slow for proper defrost. Switching to 4th is more like a hurricane. 3rd does run much faster on hot summer days with the AC on.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Either I didn't explain my question clearly, or the nature of it is too complicated. Either way, its my fault for not getting a response.

Could try to explain it differently. Or perhaps asking three different questions in one post. Can also use three separate posts if you prefer.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,524 Posts
Guess it depends on the traction you have available. Smash down the brake pedal at low speed on snow just to test and it'll pulse a whole bunch. My car does the same thing if the wheels are spinning in 2nd gear, but not much in 1st.

Otherwise, yeah, if you're braking normally and not sliding, you'll sometimes only get a few pulses. The cars way of saying, "congrats, you know what you're doing out here."

If you slam on brakes hard and it still doesn't do anything as the tires lock up, I would clean the ABS sensors - I've had them stop reading on another car when the wheel well got clogged up with snow and sand.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Since you started this thread I have only had my ABS trigger one time - this morning and for about 20 feet. The brake pedal pulsed at about 2-3 times per second. However, since the brake pedal isn't directly connected to the brakes there is no way to tell how fast the ABS system is actually pulsing the brakes.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
All I care about this issue of the ABS systen is that it works well enough for me , especially on these super cold days when you really need the ABS system to respond in order to slow you down enough to stop before colliding with some thing that will definitely damage the cruzen ..

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did find a stretch of road that was completely covered with hard packed glaring snow. This was not very difficult to find.

For the first time at 25 mph, hit the brakes hard, and felt that high frequency vibration with the car coming to a complete stop without that clunking noise. Also read the ABS is on the slow side in responding that explains the poor behavior on spotted snow covered roads. If hit on the slippery spots, then ABS is applied on the dry spots. So I am gathering this is normal.

Also read when that traction control light comes on, it kills the engine, but I gather the Cruze does not know the difference between a real skid and a wheel slipping on ice. Along with brake pulsing on the slipping wheel. But this "feature" can be turned off. So also must be normal.

Just leaves the slow speed of 3rd for the blower motor. Are using a microcontroller controlled PWM blower control, sure this be can be addressed by updating the MVAC firmware. Unless the guy that wrote it was on contract and no longer working for GM.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Traction control in most cars won't come on above 25 MPH, which is also the lower limit of the cruise control.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Traction control in most cars won't come on above 25 MPH, which is also the lower limit of the cruise control.
I don't mind admitting I am stupid on certain subjects, one option I would never do without driving on winter roads is a limited slip differential. This prevented one wheel slip when driving up a slippery hill. Seems like they are replacing this with a microcontroller now.

Trying to learn the difference between Stabiltrak and traction control. Does this seem right?

"Traction control cuts the power so you can't spin the tires... Stabilitrak may cut the power some, but also automatically applies the brakes to individual wheels at different intervals to "straighten" out the vehicle in the vent of a slide."

Seem to get both if that single button on the console is left on. Reread the owners manual and hit my brain finally to switch it off in conditions like this when trying to climb a hill.

Just touching that button does turn off the "TCS Off Light" on the Tach side, so can maintain full engine power. But I guess this is not enough, ha, I am slow. Have to hold it down for several seconds until the "StabiliTrak Off" light comes on, on the speedometer side to quit that braking action on that spinning wheel.

Read on sites, the only to switch back on the "StabiliTrak Off" is to kill the engine for 15 seconds, but hitting it again turns off both lights on the tach and the speedometer on my Cruze.

Now this is finally starting to sink it my old stubborn brain. When I just hit that button once, it did restore engine power. But that spinning wheel was still braking, and was not continuous ice, but spotty, and like the ABS on this thing, would hit the brakes on just when that wheel finally had some traction. Next time will hold that button down until the "StabiliTrak Off" light comes on and see what happens.

Major question for me, is how do I explain this to my wife?

But still, being somewhat of a hard head and they don't make things like they use to kind of a guy. Would be more than happy to trade this POS system for a good old fashion limited slip differential. These things worked!

In regards to skid control, if you drive like an idiot, you deserve to get into a skid.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I don't mind admitting I am stupid on certain subjects, one option I would never do without driving on winter roads is a limited slip differential. This prevented one wheel slip when driving up a slippery hill. Seems like they are replacing this with a microcontroller now.

Trying to learn the difference between Stabiltrak and traction control. Does this seem right?

"Traction control cuts the power so you can't spin the tires... Stabilitrak may cut the power some, but also automatically applies the brakes to individual wheels at different intervals to "straighten" out the vehicle in the vent of a slide."

Seem to get both if that single button on the console is left on. Reread the owners manual and hit my brain finally to switch it off in conditions like this when trying to climb a hill.

Just touching that button does turn off the "TCS Off Light" on the Tach side, so can maintain full engine power. But I guess this is not enough, ha, I am slow. Have to hold it down for several seconds until the "StabiliTrak Off" light comes on, on the speedometer side to quit that braking action on that spinning wheel.

Read on sites, the only to switch back on the "StabiliTrak Off" is to kill the engine for 15 seconds, but hitting it again turns off both lights on the tach and the speedometer on my Cruze.

Now this is finally starting to sink it my old stubborn brain. When I just hit that button once, it did restore engine power. But that spinning wheel was still braking, and was not continuous ice, but spotty, and like the ABS on this thing, would hit the brakes on just when that wheel finally had some traction. Next time will hold that button down until the "StabiliTrak Off" light comes on and see what happens.

Major question for me, is how do I explain this to my wife?

But still, being somewhat of a hard head and they don't make things like they use to kind of a guy. Would be more than happy to trade this POS system for a good old fashion limited slip differential. These things worked!

In regards to skid control, if you drive like an idiot, you deserve to get into a skid.
If I read that right you got it. As for your last statement - 100% agree.

Traction control uses the ABS sensors to detect excessive wheel spin from any wheels receiving engine power and actually disengages a spinning wheel from the transmission. Stabilitrac uses the ABS sensors, steering wheel input, and body motion sensors in an attempt to detect either a slide or a roll that is just starting. It then uses a combination of steering adjustments and brakes to repoint the car back to where you're steering. In the case of body roll stabilitrac will attempt to understeer your car to keep it from rolling. As an aside, if either the traction or stabilitrac systems engage in the Cruze your cruise control will disengage.

GM has (had) a system that does the above and adds power to various wheels as well. This was their Versatrac AWD system. When Versatrac reduced power to a spinning wheel it would automatically transfer it to any or all three of the remaining wheels. Likewise Versatrac would add power to wheels to help recover from a slide or potential roll condition. My Montana had this system and running on M+S tires it had better snow & ice traction than any non-AWD/4WD vehicle running snow tires.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did get some of this information off a Silverado site, claimed Stabilitrac saved their lives.

If like the huge population around here that drive these things, hang all kinds of chrome on it and drive them around empty. With that large V-8 up front, a major case of oversteering where that light rear end wants to travel fastest than the front. See more of these in the ditch than anything else, they need Stabilitrac.

Cruze is pretty well 50-50 for weight distribution.

Discussed this with my wife, her first comment was our 04 Cavalier was a far superior winter driving car and didn't have these problems. She picked up instantly how to turn it off and was happy to hear it can be turned off. And to watch the ABS when stopping on spotted roads.

Ironically with our DMV, if you have a scheduled driving test, if we have a half an inch of snow on the ground, will cancel these long awaited appointments. But you still better use hand over hand steering, even though it only takes 30 degrees of rotation on the steering wheel to make any turn in town.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.