Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a couple of questions about On Star First
I am retired and don't drive that much but do occasion will take in a long trip once or twice a year where On Star would be nice.

How much does it cost/month?
Can it be activated on and off for trips ??

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't know about activated it and deactivating it as needed, but you could always call (or press the blue button if you are in trial service) and ask. As they charge per month they may be able to do that, just have to cancel when needed to avoid reoccurring bills. As for the prices $19 or $29 month (with navigation). https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/planspricing?g=1

I was doing testing mine on my trail service to see if I wanted to spring the $19 a month and for me the services aren't worth it. It does not work in about 30 miles of dead cell service area on my daily commute. Also does not work in most of my scenic drives in the mountains. The crash notification would be nice, but without it being able to pick up and transmit a cell signal it doesn't work. I've gotten along for 28 years without onstar and on the 2 lane highway I commute most people stop and help.

Now my Grandma (at 84) on the other hand lives in another part of the country and almost always can connect. She uses it to let them know she is traveling out of town ect ect and calls them along the way to give them updates. Gives her and the family piece of mind that they are looking out for her and very kind responding "Yes Miss Grace, we'll keep an eye on you"

·
Registered
55 Posts
Got a couple of questions about On Star First
I am retired and don't drive that much but do occasion will take in a long trip once or twice a year where On Star would be nice.

How much does it cost/month?
Can it be activated on and off for trips ??
roehrle,

You might be eligible for a free 3-month trial of Directions & Connections. Just press your blue button and mention the "3 Months on Us" trial, and your Advisor will get you set up. You can try out the service and decide how you'd like to continue. You can cancel your service at anytime, and all you'd need to do to reactivate is press the OnStar button again. If you have any additional questions I'd be happy to discuss this with you further. Just send me a PM with your contact information. Hope this helps!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
If it was $60 a year I would consider keeping it after the trial is over. But honestly it offers little value in it's offerings when compared to the basic functions of a decent smart phone. Other than the remote link to report on what the car's doing I don't see the advantage of having a bill for OnStar along with my monthly cell phone bill.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
If it was $60 a year I would consider keeping it after the trial is over. But honestly it offers little value in it's offerings when compared to the basic functions of a decent smart phone. Other than the remote link to report on what the car's doing I don't see the advantage of having a bill for OnStar along with my monthly cell phone bill.
Honestly I don't know how ONSTAR can get any better...its already the best it can be. No complaints from me. I think 29.00 a month is reasonable for what it offers. No other brand has this service, only GM vehicles do. I love the onstar service completely. The yearly rate is kinda high because of the monthly rate, but there are so many available services that can help anyone in any situation. Im still in my trial period and will most likely renew at the end. Ill probably go with the safe and sound plan like before because I don't use the turn by turn much. It was a plan that fit me better for my lifestyle.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Honestly I don't know how ONSTAR can get any better...its already the best it can be. No complaints from me. I think 29.00 a month is reasonable for what it offers. No other brand has this service, only GM vehicles do. I love the onstar service completely. The yearly rate is kinda high because of the monthly rate, but there are so many available services that can help anyone in any situation. Im still in my trial period and will most likely renew at the end. Ill probably go with the safe and sound plan like before because I don't use the turn by turn much. It was a plan that fit me better for my lifestyle.
You get paid to say all that? Makes sense to spend money on onstar if money is tight, it does nothing of value. At even $20 a month is $240 a year, much more than a tow would cost you. I have a garmin Nuvi for directions & their app doesn't do anything I can read from the gauges while I drive. Only thing I would ever buy onstar for is increasing the remote start distance using the onstar app.

Maybe some of you don't realize part of the 5 year 100,000 miles warranty is free roadside assistance. Just call 1-800-243-8872, The Roadside Assistance program provides technically trained advisors who are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and offers a number of services that help ease concerns resulting from unforeseeable emergencies. In the U.S., anyone driving the vehicle is covered.
  • 24-hour, 7-days-a-week toll-free 800 phone assistance
  • Towing to the closest GM dealer (from a legal roadway)
  • Flat tire change (using vehicle's spare or tire inflator kit)
  • Battery jump-start
  • Vehicle Lock-Out Service (costs for a new key and the labor to create it are not covered)
  • Emergency fuel delivery

GM Roadside Assistance - U.S. | GM.com

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Yeah but you cant do any of services with a regular GPS system and with the regular roadside assistance, you cant remote start your car, you cant get monthly vehicle diagnostics and retrieve your stolen car. Personally...I think onstar is the way to go. You cant go wrong with it at all.

·
10,712 Posts
7 inch touch screen with OnStar turn by turn. Use it all the time since I no loger have and actual in dash nav. a cell phone is cheaper than buying a navi but then you gotta deal with hands free laws and a tiny screen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its a real handy thing. I use it quite a bit with my cruze, only thing I would change is cost of minutes and let them use them until they run out before charging for them (that is why I no longer use they're calling service)

But Navigation is nice, just press the blue button and tell them where you want to go, and they will send the info to your cars nav system, even if you don't have the touch screen navigation you will get some graphical indicators from the directions along with the voice telling you when a turn is coming up.
You can ask for the nearest gas station, or a specific restaurant.
I believe you can also ask for the weather of your destination.

They are always friendly.

There are 3 price levels now 18.95, 28.90, 34.99(?)

To get navigation you need the 28.90 option. The last one I can't find anymore but it was a new recent feature that allowed you to track your vehicle via an app.

Also with On* you can get the on* app and unlock, lock, start, etc... your cruze anywhere you are connected to wifi or a mobile network.
I carpool and one time my fiance needed to get into my car, but I had taken my key by habit, and she text me saying she needed to get in, I was able to go into the app and unlock the doors over 30miles away.
The app also helps you keep track of maintenance, it gives you the oil life %, tells you how much gas you have left, how many estimated miles you can drive on the tank, tells you the tire pressure of each tire

All in all I find the 29 a month I spend on it to be worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts