Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see below I have done a lot of stuff to my car, but one problem I keep having is a surging while trying to speed up (merging onto hwy) or while in 6th with the cc set @ 63 and going up a small hill.. When it happens it feels like a strong jerking feeling or a shudder feeling.. I have done everything that I can think of I have even posted here trying to find answers.. I have changed to Copper plugs and they are down to .028 now, I have a Collins big 3 kit to help with voltage..

This past week while checking the oil I had noticed that the filter on my k&n sri was starting to get a little dark, I took it off and shot it with some air to try and clear it out a little. I know its time for a new filter and plan on going with the Amsoil filter when I order my tranny fluid and oil. So I took the sri out and put the factory airbox back in (has a k&n panel filter in it).. Even with the factory box in I am still getting the surging so I got tired of it and thought to myself what if I just put the factory filter back in.. Since then I have not felt the shuddering or jerking at all.. but I have noticed that I can feel a slight chugging feeling while on the hwy. It is not like the previous problem it is very light but I can still feel it.. I am guessing that the first problem I stated is from the air inside the intake and the MAF getting faulting readings.

I guess my question is what could be causing this new "chugging" feeling and is there an eta on an air strainer for our intakes besides the window screen method?? Thanks for all of the replies and I apologize for rambling in this post..

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,319 Posts
Try resetting the computer. Pull off the negative battery cable, go step on the brake pedal a few times (or walk away for 30 minutes); reconnect it.

The car can "learn" incorrect fuel trim readings, especially as a result of the intake, and it would be better to start off fresh with it learning the right readings from the beginning rather than trying to correct a table of incorrect long-term fuel trims.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
That's Nice ! Let us know how this works out for you whiteand bright . I am really interested in this theory of resetting the ECM .

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mine has done this since i bought the car (with 10k kms). It did it on stock intake and it does it on the k&n. Its not due to the intake, i know this for sure, especially since it did this when it was bone stock.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Compressor surge?
That has crossed my mind also.. It seems to be a pretty consistent problem while going up a hill, with the k&n on I can hear the turbo spool then blow off then spool then blow off and so on and so on.. It will do this all the way up the hill and when the road flattens out it will go away and sound and feel just like normal..

·
Registered
158 Posts
it sounds like it could possibly be a computer problem i have a 6mt and dont experience surging or blowing off in any gear really i too have k&n works good with and without v tune

·
Registered
158 Posts
although the silicon in the k&n filter could have fowled up your maf! also check your map sensor it might be oily which could give crappy readings

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
although the silicon in the k&n filter could have fowled up your maf! also check your map sensor it might be oily which could give crappy readings
I have checked it and cleaned it.. There was a computer update about a year ago, first I had to fight with the dealer about getting the update (they kept telling me no there wasn't an update) FINALLY the looked and there was an update. I would say that it was good for about a week after IIRC..

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Disconnect battery as stated before, easiest solution try that first !

·
10,713 Posts
I have checked it and cleaned it.. There was a computer update about a year ago, first I had to fight with the dealer about getting the update (they kept telling me no there wasn't an update) FINALLY the looked and there was an update. I would say that it was good for about a week after IIRC..
Was that this one?

#PI1052: Hesitation at high ambient temperature.

This was sandy blogs October last year I saw it. I may go back to stock iridium w/ ****** up plug gap and try again to get it.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't remember what the tsb was it only worked for about a week then it went right back to acting how it was before I took it in to them.. When I went back to the service dept and told them they looked at me like I was retarded and wanted to argue with me and tell me that my car was not doing what I was telling them it was.. I know it took me almost a week of fighting with them for them to finally do anything..

If GM only knew how customers were actually getting treated when they go into these service depts.. But hey they already have our money what the **** do they care until its time to buy a new one then they go back to acting like they care.. Its a vicious cycle and I see it all day everyday at work (a GM dealership)..

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was that this one?

#PI1052: Hesitation at high ambient temperature.

Sent from my iFail 5s
It does it when it is cold outside so I'm not sure..

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi WhiteandBright,

I’m sorry to hear that you have experienced this concern with your Cruze. I understand that you have gone to the dealership for this same concern a year ago. If you would like, I will be glad to look further into this for you. Please send a private message referencing this thread if any extra help is needed. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I should begin to say my car is all stock & does this from time to time. From my testing, Its the fuel/octane you are using. Any hill grade even slight in 6th produces a ton of engine load, when accelerating or doing any inclines its much easier on things to downshift.

My car anything less than 89E10 will do this sometimes. Only time I have had this happen on 91E0 or 93E10 is a station with poor fuel quality(even just slow sales effects the quality). I would highly recommend trying a different brand of fuel. Interestingly its definitely not just the octane rating as I can run 88E15 from the local ethanol plant with none of this behavior at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts