Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 is almost here and my OnStar subscription will expire soon. I only used it once this year and was on the $208 Promo. They couldn't lower it any further but did offer the same $208 Directions & Connections Promo (non 4G) again, or the basic plan for only $120, both almost "half off". I hardly drive the Cruze but enjoy having OnStar. What would you do?

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I'm thinking of requesting that GM or Onstar unlock my $24,000 4G cell phone so I can put it on Verizon.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Seems like a half-decent price.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I'm thinking of requesting that GM or Onstar unlock my $24,000 4G cell phone so I can put it on Verizon.
Why???? ATT works better and has a bigger print. The only advantage verizon has is speed is faster.

I'm not paying for onstar. I don't see any use for it other then if my car gets stolen. Everything else i already have. Minus the remote start and unlock which is good for 5 years. Then i'll figure something else out.

If one really wanted what onstar offers. One could go to Tmo and buy their obd2 plug for $10 a month for the same services.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Why???? ATT works better and has a bigger print. The only advantage verizon has is speed is faster.
If one really wanted what onstar offers. One could go to Tmo and buy their obd2 plug for $10 a month for the same services.
I'm pretty sure that OnStar is CDMA, not GSM, so we're dealing mainly with Verizon and Verizon MVNOs.

What's the T-Mo obd2 deal, is that something that works with the rooftop antenna to get OnStar levels of signal strength? If not, it doesn't provide the one service I'm willing to pay for. I just want a phone that works, and if I can get that without sticking another antenna on my car...

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I'm pretty sure that OnStar is CDMA, not GSM, so we're dealing mainly with Verizon and Verizon MVNOs.

What's the T-Mo obd2 deal, is that something that works with the rooftop antenna to get OnStar levels of signal strength? If not, it doesn't provide the one service I'm willing to pay for. I just want a phone that works, and if I can get that without sticking another antenna on my car...
The 4g chip is gsm. The service is through att. It's a seperate pay feature through the onstar websight. You can't pay for it through ATT. ATT won't activate it to my account i already have. I've already looked in to it. And actually subscribed to it. But it's not looking like my billing will kick in till my 90 free days are up. It's added on to my att account i already have with a different hotspot. So, They're both on one account but paid for through the different companies.

I have no idea on the onstar itself. And how that works. But it's not tied in to the gsm 4g chip. Think earlier chevrolets with onstar before the 4g chip even came out.

Not understanding your question on phone that works. Shouldn't be any different inside or outside the car. So if you're having problems. Maybe try a different phone or carrier.

The tmo thing is basically the same identical services as onstar. Although not quite as many features. It plugs in to your obd2 port for power source. Since chevrolet has a constant hot supply source in the port. The dongle never shuts off.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'd image that if you drive in areas where the cell coverage is sketchy, that having the antenna on the roof instead of lying on the dashboard makes things work a lot better. OnStar would give you a phone that works though the stock roof antenna.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.