Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has happened to anyone else but I was just driving my 2012 Cruze and the radio cut out and OnStar connected to my car. The OnStar started playing some sort of weird pulsing noises and started to tell me about how OnStar has turn-by-turn navigation. This scared the **** out of me, and distracted me from driving because I wasn't sure what was going on since I just got the **** car.

I called OnStar once I got home and the operator changed a setting in my account so I should not be getting any more of those messages.

I love the Cruze and all of its features but who ever thought it would be a good idea to send OnStar functionality messages to people while they were driving really missed the mark here. Not only is it annoying to receive "car spam" it is distracting and dangerous.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I got one of these trying to get me to "renew" my on-star subscription. Very, very distracting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks. I'll add this to my list of reasons to ditch the onstar.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got one of those too. It said something like onstar text message. That was on my first Cruze, second one hasn't done it, probably because the onstar doesn't work, stupid thing.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
When our 1yr old yellow lab named Beans accidentally locked my wife out of the house she used the Onstar app on her cell phone to unlock her Sonic. Once in her car she used her garage door opener to get back in the house so I'm a little torn on the value of Onstar. Until Beans decides its no longer funny to do that shes keeping it!

Sent from my DROID3

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Never had problems locking keys in a Model T I briefly owned as a kid, didn't have any door locks. Back then, could pick these up for five or ten bucks at the most. Nor problems opening the hood, no such thing as the incar cable that could rust up. After that with hood release and door locks, had to be careful not to lock your keys in the car. Has the entire population become stupid?

Nothing was done to my home to prevent that, can just as easily lock myself out of my own home. Is OnStar available for my home? Also find it ironic that someone would leave their vehicle with their cell phone but leave their keys in the car. But as a parent, have a kid that is doing that all the time, when she needs a new cell phone, the old one has to be surgically removed from her hand. Batteries are going going dead, and have to remember to plug in that OnStar number.

Use to have a photographic memory for phone numbers, but now with cell, fax, land, email addresses, internet URL's, that is too much to remember, photographic memory is way over exposed. Also kills me to pay the cell phone bill every month, a ton more than my AC bill even in these hot summer days. God, these guys are screwing us blind. No wires, stick up a cheap antenna, and can cover a ten mile radius. So why is my land line phone running two pairs of wires underground to the central station 4 miles away so much cheaper?

See Cruze does have a separate firmware package for the radio, where is Stacy at? Not a thing on that radio has an XM button, XM can only be accessed with the Band switch, love that, if I want to hear repetitive commercials, just have to leave it in the XM position. New firmware would totally eliminate the FEATURE.

Ever since I started driving cars with locking doors, the keys automatically go into my pocket when leaving the car, even for a minute. Getting a spare key for this Cruze is miserable, I hate this feature, sounds like an OnStar conspiracy to me. OnStar and XM is completely worthless with my car anywhere in my neighborhood, have very tall trees with the satellite just 22* above the horizon. But somehow my cell phone and GPS work okay, but who would I call if I did keep OnStar if I locked my keys in my car. No reception. Could call AAA, for 140 bucks a year covering three drivers and four vehicles with 200 miles of free towing. OnStar is only a service to find a towing company you have to pay extra for.

And seems to me, if they can unlock your car, should also be able to lock it, do I sound paranoid? Ha, wasn't born that way, but sure made that way with all this crap everyone is trying to pull today.

·
Registered
201 Posts
When I first got the car in late February, I got numerous messages from them. My trial period ends in August so I am expecting them to start any day now. Once they start, I'll call OnStar and let them know just how annoying they are. I will also tell them to discontinue the service. Not worth it to me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts