Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many don't care for OnStar. I like it and the basic package because I have a daughter with special needs and so we keep it on my wifes vehicle for the "just in case" use. That way if for some reason she gets into an accident help "should" be sent right away. At least that is how it is supposed to work. I also have it on our other daughters Cruze since she will be off to college, it gives me a peace of mind as well.

So today I went to add my 2014 CTD to my OnStar account so it would be added to my OnStar app. I got three months free. Well in the process of them adding my CTD, my daughters Cruze got dropped. Now, I ask how in the world can that happen? The OnStar system is a big joke if you ask me. It should not take major effort to add and remove vehicles onto and off accounts. Also if a vehicle is added then how in the world does one of the other vehicles on that account just get dropped? GM needs to get their act together. It can't be that hard, it just doesn't make sense.

So now I have to sit in my daughters Cruze and press the blue button to get it added. Really GM, are you listening, you want people to use OnStar but you make it such a royal pain to do so.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I bought my new Cruze a month ago, my wife bought a new camaro a week later and my OnStar account became hers and they had her as owning tow vehicles and me owning none, and when we added the 300 minutes at the dealership for her car, mine got deleted. We had to argue with them and finally got it resolved after two-three hours using our OnStar. We finally got separate Onstar accounts after more arguing with them in our cars. We were always put on hold for along time. They even had my wife as the emergency contact on her car, so when she got into an accident, they would call her instead of me. It was a real mess for such a simple matter.

I wish OnStar people would act like normal people instead of reading from a script.....like repeating themselves 50 times with the same frazes over and over again. Must be easy to pass and graduate from Onstar school.

But I really do like Onstar, just wish it was a easy human process, not a cookie cutter process.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a cel phone.

Why do I need OnStar again? Especially at $300 a year.

Turn by turn navigation? Phone does that.
Emergency services? Phone
Diagnostic? I have a code reader. They've gotten stupid cheap. You can buy the Bluetooth reader for your phone for under $20
Stolen vehicle assistance? I have insurance. If it gets stolen, I don't want it back
Automatic crash response? I'm going to probably be too pissed to have someone from a call center read from a script to me if I am in a collision.

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
I love OnStar and everything they will do for you! Yes they make administrative mistakes but they go out of their way to make you satisfied. I do not have a Cell phone or Smart phone, I don't want one. I don't even like using the phone. OnStar has treated me like gold with their promos, and when you ask them for free phone minutes if you experience a problem they say no, put you on hold and then say yes. I love their Directions and Connections package for a year promo price of $19.95 a month. I have 500 minutes for free which they try to charge $200 for. At the time of purchase they sell you 30, not 300 minutes for 10 bucks during your initial 6 month trial. When I upgraded a year later the rep said I can't give you directions until the following week, call back then. By the time I got off the phone with their customer loyalty department I found myself with a ton of extra minutes, two months free, and great treatment like at Safeway.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
XM and onstar have the same crappy tactics, regular price sucks because they give some people exceptional deals. I should not have to call and claim I'm gonna cancel just to get a better deal, what happened to giving a loyal customer a break?

It also doesn't make sense to have these short trails of XM or onstar on new cars, remember the average new car loan is 5 years or more. GM should give both services for free with all new cars for 5 years, after having those services for so long people would rely on them so heavily they would practically beg to be a customer.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I miss getting emails from OnStar telling me about my oil remaining life and tire pressures are. But when my electric power steering went out, they never sent me an email about this. I had to figure this out all by myself.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Their customer service is in some foreign country where wages are probably $2 an hour so of course the quality of service will be lower.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Their customer service is in some foreign country where wages are probably $2 an hour so of course the quality of service will be lower.
Goldsboro NC is a foreign country? Hmm, have a daughter that recently moved to NC, better make sure my passport is up to date before I visit her. Or are you referring to the location of OnStar? Thought they were up in a geosynchronous satellite, where here 20 degrees elevation, even a bird house blocks reception.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I bought my new Cruze a month ago, my wife bought a new camaro a week later and my OnStar account became hers and they had her as owning tow vehicles and me owning none, and when we added the 300 minutes at the dealership for her car, mine got deleted. We had to argue with them and finally got it resolved after two-three hours using our OnStar. We finally got separate Onstar accounts after more arguing with them in our cars. We were always put on hold for along time. They even had my wife as the emergency contact on her car, so when she got into an accident, they would call her instead of me. It was a real mess for such a simple matter.

I wish OnStar people would act like normal people instead of reading from a script.....like repeating themselves 50 times with the same frazes over and over again. Must be easy to pass and graduate from Onstar school.

But I really do like Onstar, just wish it was a easy human process, not a cookie cutter process.
Hey cruzechef2012,

We're always happy to learn our subscribers value their OnStar service, but we recognize you encountered a few challenges with your account. If there's anything we can do to assist further please know we're here to help. Send your account number or VIN via private message if you have any questions or concerns moving forward.

Best,
Amber N.
OnStar Customer Care

·
Registered
611 Posts
I miss getting emails from OnStar telling me about my oil remaining life and tire pressures are. But when my electric power steering went out, they never sent me an email about this. I had to figure this out all by myself.
I never once got a diagnostics email from them. I called and let them know this and they gave me the run around. I will never renew my OnStar account.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Goldsboro NC is a foreign country? Hmm, have a daughter that recently moved to NC, better make sure my passport is up to date before I visit her. Or are you referring to the location of OnStar? Thought they were up in a geosynchronous satellite, where here 20 degrees elevation, even a bird house blocks reception.
Not usually the people you reach when you push the Onstar button and use the service, they are usually in America and not what I refer to as "customer service". I am talking about the people who you talk to when you have billing, activation or customer service issues. I assume you've never talked to them otherwise you would know what I am talking about. And nowhere do I refer to the "location of Onstar". Not sure where you came up with that one.

According to OnStar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"call centers in Makati, Philippines;"

·
Registered
134 Posts
We have two cars with Onstar right now, same account, both basic package. I just wanted to say that we have never been disappointed by it. I know it can get expensive but the iPhone app is pretty good it lets me switch between both cars easily, and I like knowing if I get in an accident with no one around, someone will call an ambulance.

The directions and connections service is made for people just like my mom(who does subscribe to it in her car). She will never understand how to use a smartphone, and the Onstar people are always pleasant. She used the directions service once when I was with her. Incredibly easy to use. For her, it's worth the cost.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
To me the only thing onstar is good for is if you do get in an accident onstar is immediately called and if you dont respond they notify emergency responders with your exact location. If you have a phone great however if you are unconcious, severely injured or your phone was flung to god knows where. Also you may get in an accident where you do not have service.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
To me the only thing onstar is good for is if you do get in an accident onstar is immediately called and if you dont respond they notify emergency responders with your exact location. If you have a phone great however if you are unconcious, severely injured or your phone was flung to god knows where. Also you may get in an accident where you do not have service.
I don't plan ahead for the what if scenarios, haven't had an accident in over a half million miles driven. Also remember onstar rely's on Verizon cell network for calls which includes their crash response, I travel many areas I could crash and get no response at all.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Unfortunately, both my XM and OnStar reception die when driving on tree lined roads in Northern Wisconsin.

So I guess I will have to depend on my nine airbags to both protect me and my cell phone in case this happens.

GPS always work, maybe they could link through them.

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
"December 19, 2011, GM said OnStar would join with Verizon Wireless to offer video chat and streaming content to automobile passengers"
Much has changed since then.
[h=1]AT&T's LTE service to replace Verizon in GM's OnStar[/h]OnStar to expand with infotainment services like streaming audio, web access, video
February 25, 2013 | By Mike Dano

General Motors will replace Verizon Wireless' (NYSE:VZ) service with AT&T Mobility's (NYSE:T) service in its OnStar offering beginning in 2014. The news represents a blow to Verizon, which has powered OnStar's service since it launched in the 1990s.
"Introducing 4G LTE into GM vehicles is a game-changing opportunity, and we couldn't be better positioned to help drive this movement," said Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO of AT&T Mobility. "We're working closely with GM to grow the connected car base, and provide unique and relevant services that will improve the connected experience inside automobiles for both drivers and passengers."

AT&T's LTE service to replace Verizon in GM's OnStar - FierceWireless

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
I don't plan ahead for the what if scenarios, haven't had an accident in over a half million miles driven. Also remember onstar rely's on Verizon cell network for calls which includes their crash response, I travel many areas I could crash and get no response at all.
You should always plan ahead? I'm sure you live your entire life in that care free manner as well. I'd ask if you have health insurance although you don't plan on ever getting sick or injured as nothing bad will ever happen, clearly with a half million worry free miles behind you. I almost lost my life one mile away from here, didn't plan on it either.

·
Administrator
25,036 Posts
Unfortunately, both my XM and OnStar reception die when driving on tree lined roads in Northern Wisconsin.

So I guess I will have to depend on my nine airbags to both protect me and my cell phone in case this happens.

GPS always work, maybe they could link through them.
Nick, when did you remove an airbag? :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts