Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my wife and I decided to take in a drive in her Caliber, actually I got her oil change done and we decided to go 50 miles to a friends home. A year ago I put in OnStar FMV mirror in her car as she does drive the Caliber alone and I am frequently away on business. I really liked the OnStar in my Cruze so it went in her car.

Returning home we decided to take the state route 9 home as Interstate 5 was a mess with a construction project reducing three lanes in two lanes and heavy traffic with a several mile traffic jam. As we were driving along northbound on State Route 9 when we rounded a bend in the road a motorcycle rider going in the opposite direction crashed into a deer and take a nasty spill at 50 MPH. I slammed on the brakes and reached for my cell phone, no signal on the cell, I glanced at the mirror and I had a green light in the bottom and I pushed the red button for OnStar. I was immediately answered and my location was noted and aid was dispatched for the young lady who was riding the motorcycle. She had got up and was walking around and had road rash on her left arm and a real nasty cut on the wrist. I also suspected that her wrist was broken also but since there were several folks helping her I remained in the car and gave directions to the 911 dispatcher.

The young lady was swearing like a sailor when the aid car showed up but I did not care as she needed to be at least treated and looked at. Tough luck kid a accident happened and you did not want care, I would have done no matter what. I had a buddy killed by a deer a few years ago when he hit the deer he was knocked off the bike and hit a tree on the side of the road.

All I can say is get and keep OnStar even if it is the "other car" MY cell phone was out of range and OnStar did the needed job.

·
Registered
130 Posts
nice save (or help)

I liked onstar in my camaro since it doesn't have a nav screen-- and they would download the directions to my HUD. It is just too **** expensive though. After driving a new place a couple times I don't need the directions. I kept it for a while because when I first went to cancel they offered me directions and connections for 13 a month.. **** yeah at that price. no thanks at 30+ a month.

·
10,712 Posts
nice save (or help)

I liked onstar in my camaro since it doesn't have a nav screen-- and they would download the directions to my HUD. It is just too **** expensive though. After driving a new place a couple times I don't need the directions. I kept it for a while because when I first went to cancel they offered me directions and connections for 13 a month.. **** yeah at that price. no thanks at 30+ a month.
It took me forever to understand why there was a navigation screen in the DIC menu.

Yesterday my wife and I decided to take in a drive in her Caliber, actually I got her oil change done and we decided to go 50 miles to a friends home. A year ago I put in OnStar FMV mirror in her car as she does drive the Caliber alone and I am frequently away on business. I really liked the OnStar in my Cruze so it went in her car.

Returning home we decided to take the state route 9 home as Interstate 5 was a mess with a construction project reducing three lanes in two lanes and heavy traffic with a several mile traffic jam. As we were driving along northbound on State Route 9 when we rounded a bend in the road a motorcycle rider going in the opposite direction crashed into a deer and take a nasty spill at 50 MPH. I slammed on the brakes and reached for my cell phone, no signal on the cell, I glanced at the mirror and I had a green light in the bottom and I pushed the red button for OnStar. I was immediately answered and my location was noted and aid was dispatched for the young lady who was riding the motorcycle. She had got up and was walking around and had road rash on her left arm and a real nasty cut on the wrist. I also suspected that her wrist was broken also but since there were several folks helping her I remained in the car and gave directions to the 911 dispatcher.

The young lady was swearing like a sailor when the aid car showed up but I did not care as she needed to be at least treated and looked at. Tough luck kid a accident happened and you did not want care, I would have done no matter what. I had a buddy killed by a deer a few years ago when he hit the deer he was knocked off the bike and hit a tree on the side of the road.

All I can say is get and keep OnStar even if it is the "other car" MY cell phone was out of range and OnStar did the needed job.
Glad you could help. How hard was it to install?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the time I got OnStar for my wives car they had free installation and I had the seller install it.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
It took me forever to understand why there was a navigation screen in the DIC menu.
I never used it during my trial yet wondered where the directions appeared? Plus if you hear them why do you see them. What do you see in the DIC? How do you remember all these commands and steps? For $30 a month I'll stick with my ol' TomTom & Tracfone!

Using Voice CommandsDuring a Planned Route​
Cancel Route​
1. Press​
=. System responds:
[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20]
“​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
OnStar ready,[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]then a tone. Say
“​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Cancel route.[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]Systemresponds: [FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]Do you want tocancel directions?[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]​
2. Say​
[FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]Yes.[FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]System responds:
“​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
OK, request completed, thankyou, goodbye.[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]​
Route Preview​
1. Press​
=. System responds:
“​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
OnStar ready,[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]then a tone.2. Say [FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]Route preview.[FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]Systemresponds with the next threemaneuvers.
Repeat​
1. Press​
=. System responds:
“​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
OnStar ready,[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]then a tone.2. Say [FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]Repeat.[FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]System respondswith the last direction given, thenresponds with [FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]OnStar ready,[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]​
then a tone.​
Get My Destination​
1. Press​
=. System responds:
“​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
OnStar ready,[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]then a tone.2. Say [FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]Get my destination.[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]​
System responds with theaddress and the distance to thedestination, then responds with​
“​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
OnStar ready,[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]then a tone.
Other Navigation ServicesAvailable from OnStar​
OnStar eNav:​
Allows subscribersto send destinations fromMapQuest.com to their Turn-by-TurnNavigation or screen-basednavigation system. When ready, thedirections will be downloaded to thevehicle.
Destination Download:​
Press Q,then request the Advisor todownload directions to thenavigation system in the vehicle.After the call ends, press the [FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]Go[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]​
button on the navigation screen tobegin driving directions.If directions are downloaded to thenavigation system, the route canonly be canceled through thenavigation system.Destinations can also bedownloaded on the go. Forinformation about eNav, DestinationDownload, and coverage maps seewww.onstar.com (U.S.) orwww.onstar.ca (Canada).​
Connections​
OnStar Hands-Free Calling allowscalls to be made and received fromthe vehicle. The vehicle can also becontrolled through the OnStarRemoteLink​
® mobile app. Forcoverage maps, seewww.onstar.com (U.S.)

Navigation​
OnStar navigation requires theDirections and Connectionsservice plan.Press​
Q to receive directions orhave them sent to the vehiclenavigation screen, if equipped.Destinations can also be forwardedto the vehicle from MapQuest.com.The OnStar mapping database iscontinuously updated. For coveragemaps, see www.onstar.com (U.S.)or www.onstar.ca (Canada).
Turn-by-Turn Navigation​
1. Press​
Q to connect to a liveAdvisor.2. Request directions.3. Directions are downloaded to thevehicle.4. Follow the voice-guided
commands.

·
10,712 Posts
I never used it during my trial yet wondered where the directions appeared? Plus if you hear them why do you see them. What do you see in the DIC? How do you remember all these commands and steps? For $30 a month I'll stick with my ol' TomTom & Tracfone!

Using Voice CommandsDuring a Planned Route​
Cancel Route​
1. Press​
=. System responds:
“​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
OnStar ready,[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]then a tone. Say
“​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Cancel route.[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]Systemresponds: [FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]Do you want tocancel directions?[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]​
2. Say​
[FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]Yes.[FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]System responds:
“​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
OK, request completed, thankyou, goodbye.[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]​
Route Preview​
1. Press​
=. System responds:
“​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
OnStar ready,[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]then a tone.2. Say [FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]Route preview.[FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]Systemresponds with the next threemaneuvers.
Repeat​
1. Press​
=. System responds:
“​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
OnStar ready,[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]then a tone.2. Say [FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]Repeat.[FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]System respondswith the last direction given, thenresponds with [FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]OnStar ready,[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]​
then a tone.​
Get My Destination​
1. Press​
=. System responds:
“​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
OnStar ready,[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]then a tone.2. Say [FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]Get my destination.[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]​
System responds with theaddress and the distance to thedestination, then responds with​
“​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
OnStar ready,[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]then a tone.
Other Navigation ServicesAvailable from OnStar​
OnStar eNav:​
Allows subscribersto send destinations fromMapQuest.com to their Turn-by-TurnNavigation or screen-basednavigation system. When ready, thedirections will be downloaded to thevehicle.
Destination Download:​
Press Q,then request the Advisor todownload directions to thenavigation system in the vehicle.After the call ends, press the [FONT=Arial+20][/FONT]Go[FONT=Arial+20][FONT=Arial+20][/FONT][/FONT]​
button on the navigation screen tobegin driving directions.If directions are downloaded to thenavigation system, the route canonly be canceled through thenavigation system.Destinations can also bedownloaded on the go. Forinformation about eNav, DestinationDownload, and coverage maps seewww.onstar.com (U.S.) orwww.onstar.ca (Canada).​
Connections​
OnStar Hands-Free Calling allowscalls to be made and received fromthe vehicle. The vehicle can also becontrolled through the OnStarRemoteLink​
® mobile app. Forcoverage maps, seewww.onstar.com (U.S.)

Navigation​
OnStar navigation requires theDirections and Connectionsservice plan.Press​
Q to receive directions orhave them sent to the vehiclenavigation screen, if equipped.Destinations can also be forwardedto the vehicle from MapQuest.com.The OnStar mapping database iscontinuously updated. For coveragemaps, see www.onstar.com (U.S.)or www.onstar.ca (Canada).
Turn-by-Turn Navigation​
1. Press​
Q to connect to a liveAdvisor.2. Request directions.3. Directions are downloaded to thevehicle.4. Follow the voice-guided
commands.
For $30 you skip using the app and talk to a live person :) only time I don't use a live person is if I need to get in the car and go that very second. Using the app the car will have directions the second I turn the key.

Here is Mylink screen while driving

When you are near the turn

and here is the DIC that is a random compass icon till you have directions loaded.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
If your cell phone didn't work and onstar did that is only because they use a different wireless provider than you use. Onstar in the past has used verizon wireless, but they are switching to the even crappier AT&T network starting in 2015. Really cool all these new GM car will get 4G hotspots in 2015, to bad that service will fail to work in most areas I drive.

GM switches to AT&T from Verizon for OnStar wireless service | Reuters

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
For $30 you skip using the app and talk to a live person :) only time I don't use a live person is if I need to get in the car and go that very second. Using the app the car will have directions the second I turn the key.

Here is Mylink screen while driving
and here is the DIC that is a random compass icon till you have directions loaded.

Thank you VERY MUCH! I had never seen that, and on a couple calls to OnStar they couldn't tell me where exactly my directions would appear? So I went 6 months without even trying it, but I also hardly drove the CRUZE due to perceived danger that has subsided!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Public library has an historical section, well not quite this ancient. Had a box in a plastic window to guess what it is. Ha, a CB radio. Still have a couple of these, but haven't switched them on in years, could call smoky. Darn, I forgot the channel number.

When we traveled in groups in different vehicles, we all had one, so could stay in contact. Oh, those monthly service charges were nice, zero! What happened to CB?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Public library has an historical section, well not quite this ancient. Had a box in a plastic window to guess what it is. Ha, a CB radio. Still have a couple of these, but haven't switched them on in years, could call smoky. Darn, I forgot the channel number.

When we traveled in groups in different vehicles, we all had one, so could stay in contact. Oh, those monthly service charges were nice, zero! What happened to CB?
Channel 9 for calling Smokey and I have one somewhere. I also am old enough to remember that fad.

·
Registered
148 Posts

FRS is a nice alterniative to a 2m whip antenna stuck to your roof, although it is really just line of sight. If you are driving in backcountry and need something reliable you could use CB still but I prefer GMRS (it is easy to get your amateur radio license).

And back to the onstar topic, I just received my renewal letter and am not renewing. Last year I would remote start my car with my phone (helps in Phoenix), but now that should be free (2014 model inclueds it!).

If onstar did something like a cheap cell phone, such as a dollar or two a month for maintenance then pay for any services you use I would be on board. There just aren't enough features used regularly to justify the price.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Wait she was mad cause you called for help? What's was she planning on doing, riding back with a broken wrist and possible concussion?

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
My last reply was frozen and I lost it. OnStar will try and upsell you on the fact that you need their Cell Service as it uses 'special technology', at no point did they say Verizon. Now that they are switching to A. T. & T., and I have an A.T. & T. phone I am going to dump OnStar. In my last accident I had no windshield to call OnStar even if I had them, no electrical system either?

·
10,712 Posts
My last reply was frozen and I lost it. OnStar will try and upsell you on the fact that you need their Cell Service as it uses 'special technology', at no point did they say Verizon. Now that they are switching to A. T. & T., and I have an A.T. & T. phone I am going to dump OnStar. In my last accident I had no windshield to call OnStar even if I had them, no electrical system either?
Is AT&T gonna take over all OnStar or just the new ones with hotspot and 2.0 MyLink Cue and whatever GMC and Buick has?

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
General Motors will replace Verizon Wireless' (NYSE:VZ) service with AT&T Mobility's (NYSE:T) service in its OnStar offering beginning in 2014. The news represents a blow to Verizon, which has powered OnStar's service since it launched in the 1990s.
"Introducing 4G LTE into GM vehicles is a game-changing opportunity, and we couldn't be better positioned to help drive this movement," said Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO of AT&T Mobility. "We're working closely with GM to grow the connected car base, and provide unique and relevant services that will improve the connected experience inside automobiles for both drivers and passengers."
Terms of the deal were not disclosed. OnStar counts more than 6 million customers in the United States, Canada and China, and its service starts at $18.95 per month. AT&T will provide service to GM's OnStar in Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles. The companies said AT&T will power OnStar's existing calling and monitoring services, and will support "a new suite of infotainment services like streaming audio, web access, applications, and even video for backseat passengers." AT&T will also power GM's in-vehicle Wi-Fi hotspots and voice calling services.
AT&T has worked to expand its machine-to-machine communications business, which falls under the carrier's "emerging devices" unit headed by Glenn Lurie. The unit added 246,000 connected devices during AT&T's fourth quarter.
That the new GM-AT&T deal includes mention of LTE is notable in light of AT&T's efforts to expand the network. AT&T currently covers 174 million POPs with LTE, and plans to hit at least 250 million POPs by the end of 2013 and 300 million POPs by the end of 2014. In contrast, Verizon now covers 273.5 million POPs with LTE, or roughly 89 percent of the U.S. population. Verizon expects to finish its initial LTE deployment by mid-year.
"OnStar remains a valued customer, and we look forward to providing the outstanding service that millions of customers will continue to enjoy on the reliable Verizon Wireless network," said Verizon spokeswoman Debi Lewis in response to questions from FierceWireless.
Verizon Communications acquired Hughes Telematics last year for $612 million, a deal that could have soured the relationship between GM and Verizon.
The connected car continues to represent a major opportunity for wireless carriers looking to expand beyond sales of smartphones.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cruze Talk Forum,

Hello everyone! I just wanted to provide some clarification regarding this discussion. We feel AT&T, which has the nation's fastest and most reliable 4G LTE network, is the carrier that will best help us bring high-speed vehicle connectivity to our subscribers. We will continue to work with Verizon to deliver OnStar services to existing vehicles in the U.S. and Canada. I hope this helps!

-Johnua, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.