Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Onstar for my 2012 is set to expire Feb 16th. Got a notice in my car to call Onstar so I did and the rep offered me $149 a year for the safe and sound package and $249 a year for the directions and connections package. Anyone else able to do better then that? On the fence on if I need it or not. I'm doing a lot of driving in new areas I'm not familiar with this year and my wife is working a lot of late night shifts- kind of like at least the safe and sound package for a piece of mind.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The safe and sound package is a great deal I think. As for the directions package though you're better off investing in a gps that will last you longer than a year for the extra $$$

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
My Onstar for my 2012 is set to expire Feb 16th. Got a notice in my car to call Onstar so I did and the rep offered me $149 a year for the safe and sound package and $249 a year for the directions and connections package. Anyone else able to do better then that? On the fence on if I need it or not. I'm doing a lot of driving in new areas I'm not familiar with this year and my wife is working a lot of late night shifts- kind of like at least the safe and sound package for a piece of mind.
Interesting. When we ordered our '08 Astra, S&S was $249/yr after the one year freebee.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
They didn't offer me any discount initially, just the safe and sound for $18.95 / month when mine ends next month.

However, State Farm has a rewards package deal where they pay for On Star for an entire year. Heres the catch: the last day for this offer was December 31, 2011 and it could not be added on an existing trial. After some talking with my local insurance guys.. we called up On Star around Christmas and basically said they will add the year on to my free trial or I just cancel it that day and add it on regardless. After a few choice words with some idiot OnStar "supervisor" I ended up threatening to cancel the entire service all together and told them what a bullsh*t operation they run and he caved and added on a year to my free trial paid for by State Farm like it was supposed to be. SMH...

It's a great service in theory but the customer service and pricing is outrageous. After my free trial is up I'm probably cancelling mine unless State Farm throws together another insurance deal.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I cancelled my onStar when the trial period was over. I did not receive any type of special offer when I reached the end of subscription at 6 months. And I got an email from GM a few days ago that said my onStar was no longer functional and could not be used even in emergencies.

Funny thing in the same email they said if I wanted to get it renewed all I had to do was press the blue button and speak with the onStart rep. So it sounds like the communication equipment is still functional in the car. I wonder what they do if they get a call from somebody who's subscription has expired but who contacts them anyway with a real emergency situation. Maybe you can renew with your credit card while your car is on fire and then onStar will call the fire department, lol.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Somehow, managed to drive a couple of million miles without OnStar, not sure if I like the idea someone is constantly watching me. They already e-mailed me a report card letting me know everything was okay with the same exact information I had on the vehicle.

I accidentally hit that blue button with my thumb when trying to adjust the rear view mirror, heard a half a ring, and this voice comes over the radio, "how can I help you". Could only reply, help me to adjust my mirror without hitting that blue button in the dark.

OnStar knows exactly where you are going, how fast you are driving, and whether you are wearing your safety belt or not. Not sure if I like that. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if the law gets involved and you get a speeding ticket for driving 56 in a 55 in the mail.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Funny thing in the same email they said if I wanted to get it renewed all I had to do was press the blue button and speak with the onStart rep. So it sounds like the communication equipment is still functional in the car. I wonder what they do if they get a call from somebody who's subscription has expired but who contacts them anyway with a real emergency situation. Maybe you can renew with your credit card while your car is on fire and then onStar will call the fire department, lol.
Yep had that happen with a previous car. Had cancelled the service and one winter ended up in a ditch, hit the OnStar button for assistance and they said couldn't help me out unless I sign up for a plan then and there. I'll be keeping the safe and sound package after the free trial, the piece of mind is nice with the vehicle recovery in case someone ever did attempt to try and steal it and the fact I can start the car with my phone via the mobile app is cool.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
From Terms and Conditions - OnStar read the fine print and decide for yourself.

"

1. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY. YOU AND OnStar ARE EACH WAIVING IMPORTANT RIGHTS. UNLESS FORBIDDEN BY LAW IN A PARTICULAR INSTANCE, WE EACH AGREE AS FOLLOWS:

First, WE AREN’T LIABLE FOR THE ACTIONS OR INACTIONS OF ANY Service Provider WE CONTACT FOR YOU OR YOUR CAR, OR FOR OUR INABILITY TO CONTACT ANY Service Provider IN ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.
    Second, WE AREN’T LIABLE TO YOU FOR (1) ANY INJURIES TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO YOUR USE OF OnStar Equipment OR OnStar SERVICE, including but not limited to injuries to persons or property arising out of use of Stolen Vehicle Slowdown, Remote Ignition Block or Pre-Arrival Instructions (EMD-Emergency Medical Dispatch) capability OR (2) ANY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE INSTALLATION, REPAIR, OR MAINTENANCE OF OnStar Equipment.
    Third, OUR MAXIMUM LIABILITY TO YOU UNDER ANY THEORY (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO FRAUD, MISREPRESENTATION, BREACH OF CONTRACT, PERSONAL INJURY, OR PRODUCTS LIABILITY) IS LIMITED TO AN AMOUNT EQUAL TO THE PORTION OF THE CHARGES TO YOU FOR THE SERVICES RELATING TO THE PERIOD OF SERVICE DURING WHICH SUCH DAMAGES OCCUR.
    Fourth, UNLESS OTHERWISE PROVIDED IN THIS AGREEMENT, YOUR MAXIMUM LIABILITY TO USUNDER ANY THEORY (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO FRAUD, MISREPRESENTATION, BREACH OF CONTRACT, PERSONAL INJURY, OR PRODUCTS LIABILITY) IS LIMITED TO ANY CHARGES DUE AND OWING BY YOU TO US.
    Fifth, NEITHER YOU NOR WE CAN RECOVER (1) PUNITIVE DAMAGES, (2) TREBLE, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, OR (3) ATTORNEY’S FEES. YOU CANNOT RECOVER THESE TYPES OF DAMAGES OR FEES FROM ANY Service Provider, EITHER. YOU AND WE AGREE NOT TO MAKE, AND TO WAIVE TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, ANY CLAIM FOR DAMAGES OTHER THAN DIRECT, COMPENSATORY DAMAGES AS LIMITED IN THIS AGREEMENT.
    Sixth, WE HAVE NO LIABILITY FOR SERVICE INTERRUPTIONS OF 24 HOURS OR LESS. TO RECEIVE SERVICE CREDIT FOR LONGER INTERRUPTIONS, YOU MUST NOTIFY US WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER THE TIME WHEN THAT SERVICE INTERRUPTION STARTED. NO ONE IS LIABLE TO YOU FOR DROPPED CALLS OR INTERRUPTED SERVICE, OR FOR PROBLEMS CAUSED BY OR CONTRIBUTED TO BY YOU, BY ANY THIRD PARTY, BY BUILDINGS, HILLS, TUNNELS, NETWORK CONGESTION, WEATHER, OR ANY OTHER THINGS WE OR OUR Service Providers DON’T CONTROL.
    Seventh, NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING ELSE IN THIS AGREEMENT, YOU AGREE TO EXCUSE ANY NON-PERFORMANCE BY US OR ANY Service Provider CAUSED IN WHOLE OR IN PART BY AN ACT OR OMISSION OF A THIRD PARTY, OR BY ANY EQUIPMENT FAILURE, ACT OF GOD, NATURAL DISASTER, STRIKE, EQUIPMENT OR FACILITY SHORTAGE, OR OTHER CAUSES BEYOND THE CONTROL OF US OR OUR Service Providers.
    Eighth, if another wireless service provider is involved in any problem (for example, because of roaming), you also agree to any limitations of liability that it imposes on its customers.
    Ninth, YOU AGREE THAT NEITHER WE NOR ANY Service Provider WHO SENDS YOU DATA OR INFORMATION THROUGH OnStar IS LIABLE FOR ANY ERRORS, DEFECTS, PROBLEMS, OR MISTAKES IN THAT DATA OR INFORMATION.
    Tenth, unless you have a contract with one of our wireless Service Providers for a combined plan for a handheld wireless phone and your OnStar Equipment, YOU HAVE NO CONTRACTUAL RELATIONSHIP WHATSOEVER WITH ANY OF OUR WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS AND AREN’T A THIRD PARTY BENEFICIARY OF ANY AGREEMENT BETWEEN US AND ANY OF OUR WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS. Unless you have a separate contract with them, NONE OF OUR WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS HAS ANY LEGAL, EQUITABLE, OR OTHER LIABILITY OF ANY KIND TO YOU. YOU WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS OR DEMANDS FOR SUCH LIABILITY.
    Finally, you agree that the limitations of liability and indemnities in this agreement will survive even after the agreement has ended. These limitations of liability apply not only to you, but to anyone using your Car, to anyone making a claim on your behalf, and to any claims made by your family, employees, customers, or others arising out of or relating to your OnStar service or OnStar Equipment.
    NOTE: Some states don’t allow an exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages or certain other damages, so some of the limitations above may not apply in some situations."

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Son tells me with XM, long expired, like 12 months expired, still receiving it, getting emails for six bucks a month now. I tried it, never plays what I feel like hearing, just jammed in a 16GB memory stick with my favorite tunes.

Anyone try turn by turn navigation? I don't have the guts to talk to a stranger and tell them where I am going, that option is over a hundred bucks per year plus federal, state, and FCC taxes. Okay, so I am old fashion, know where I am going before I even get into the car. Wife wanted GPS, still know the better routes. And really don't want to be reminded I have 200 miles to go before making a right turn. Look at it two hours later and have 199 miles to go.

I carry AAA with unlimited towing, but just started that with OBD II, paying around 60 bucks a year. OBD II is even worse by storing firmware in flashram, really a stupid idea. If you know electronics, just a tiny bit of electrons trapped in an FET gate for a logical one or zero. With even the slightest bit of impuries, that can leak off, really bad in hot weather. So how is OnStar going to start your vehicle if that happens to you?

Before OBD I, was a strong believer in preventative maintenance, never was stalled except with rented cars. Just called the rental place, they came out with a new car.

If after warranty expires, if someone steals your car, actually doing you a big favor, they took away all the headaches from you, the dumb basterds. Would you really get hurt with ten airbags, ha, tempted to try that. But best to watch where you are going. All of this electronic stuff in new cars is nothing but a distraction, just my opinion.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The turn by turn works really well actually. Used it on a 200 mile trip each way Friday and it got me there fine. The only thing about it is you don't have a visual map on the screen like a GPS. Sometimes I rely on that in a lot of urban setting where you can visually see how many cross streets are coming up before you need to turn. That helps you avoid missing a street if you don't see the name right away. You don't have this with Onstar.

BTW- you don't need to talk to anybody. If you go to google maps you can set your destination online and have it sent to your Onstar account. Works really well. All you do is say "virtual advisor" and then you say your saved destination or have Onstar list them for you and then you say the one you want. You never talk to an operator.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
The safe and sound package is a great deal I think. As for the directions package though you're better off investing in a gps that will last you longer than a year for the extra $$$
I agree, I've used the turn by turn 3 times and twice it gave me a longer route and once wanted me to turn while on a bridge.
XM turned out to be just like radio minus the commercials meaning the same 8 songs every hour on the hour. And there's only 2 electronic stations.
I'm cancelling both as soon as trial is over.

·
Registered
235 Posts
OnStar knows exactly where you are going, how fast you are driving, and whether you are wearing your safety belt or not. Not sure if I like that. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if the law gets involved and you get a speeding ticket for driving 56 in a 55 in the mail.
Just wanted to point out: The above is completely false. While OnStar can (and does) obtain locations of cars ON REQUEST, it's not something that's always-on, and real-time. Anyone who has an understand of the technology would know that the particular cell network being used is incapable of making this happen. Every car with OnStar (even if just the ones with active subscriptions) would have to constantly send data over the network to make this possible, easily overwhelming Verizon's network if that were the case.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Plus you can use that GPS in any other car you want. I plan on calling to cancel as mine also expires in February. Might keep it if they offer a responsible discount or if insurance will cover it.

I saw a few people commented about XM and I chose to kept it. I purposely let it expire and within a week the offered me 50% off. I believe with fees and taxes I paid $90 for the year. The reason I kept it is because I travel for my job and it is nice not having to constantly search for new stations. Also there are places I work where there are few stations and none of them play the genres I care for. I feel like it is a nice supplement to my iPod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I pay what they call the customer loyalty price of 12.95 per month for the safe and sound package. I have two vehicles that I pay this price on. They try to hook you up with the directions package which is a rip off, it costs almost 30 per month. Call them and tell the agent that you want to cancel your service, they will soon come around with the 12.95 price. I think that is a fair price, seeing that you get a hands free phone (they occasionally have some good prices on minutes) and the basic stuff that you get with Onstar. I wouldn't pay any more than that for the coverage. JMHO

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
We do like that hands free phone, but works strictly with our cellular phone. Accidentally hit the power button on mine, tried to make a voice call, but that gal locked up in the radio said I don't have any OnStar minutes. Hit the power button on my cell, then made a normal call.

So what happens when OnStar expires? Can you still use your cell phone for hands free calling and receiving?

Wasn't that long ago, a car radio was an optional piece of equipment, forget that, I will get my own. But now forced to buy not only the radio, but OnStar, XM, and GPS with it, and that is your equipment that you have to pay dearly to use. That doesn't seem right, not even an option.

What happened to CB for emergency calls? Police always monitored a channel, ha, can't remember that channel number anymore. Still have a couple of like brand new CB transceivers with the magnetic antenna that fits on the roof of the car. But haven't tried those in years. No service charge with those. Cell phone drastically increased over the years, rare to find a spot you can't get a signal unless really deep in the woods, but normally don't drive there.

Use to boat in Lake Michigan and had an LF radio that would go around the world, but they killed that in the early 70's with VHF that would only reach maybe 12 miles on a clear wave free day. If I get anywhere near our hospital, lose XM reception, FM and AM still work.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Cell phones get paired with the car via Bluetooth, so OnStar isn't involved.

Police have pretty much stopped monitoring CB. I know that the Pennsylvania state troopers stopped doing so ten years ago. Even truckers use the CB a lot less now.

I'll be keeping OnStar service, I've already used it a lot. I have called several times to report things on the road, such as a stalled car or a truck swerving out lane repeatedly. While I do have a GPSr, I really like the navigation feature. There are pluses to that, such as not having distract myself by inputting the course. I just call and get it. GPS systems are as accurate as the database they use, of which there are two main suppliers in the country. OnStar is as accurate as my Garmin. And I'm able to save destinations in the onStar app on my iPhone.

One more plus. Being able to remotely start the car from my iPhone is a good thing on cold days. The heater is running and the heated seats have warmed up by the time I get in the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why would you pay the high onstar price when you can remote start the car from your fob? Onstar adds no value in my opinion. Cell phone? Onstar prices are crazy, they hook you with the $10 for 300 minutes, but what you are really doing is authorizing them to renew your onstar automatically. Then, you must call to cancel. They don't tell you this. As for the Iphone app, yep, very nice. But again I can do all that with my key fob from 30 feet away (i.e. from my office or house). I just don't see the value at all.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts