Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
It is behind the radio. It is a real pain to access. You can simply disable it by pulling a fuse, if that is why you want to locate it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is behind the radio. It is a real pain to access. You can simply disable it by pulling a fuse, if that is why you want to locate it.
Hate to sound arrogant, but are you sure?

I was hoping it was behind one of the rear quarter panels.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you referring to the Mobile Telephone Control Module, if so, it is located behind glovebox, to the right of the filter

Stuart

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Why would they run wiring to rear of a vehicle for that?
...for two reasons:

(1) Some OnStar™ electronics (mobile radio microphone) is located in the REARVIEW mirror, which is located in the front of the cabin:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/1004261P09-016.JPG

(2) The "Digital Receiver" electronics (XM-radio) is an integral, but separate, part of the AUDIO system, ie: the RADIO, which is located in the center dash board:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/1004261P09-013.JPG

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hate to sound arrogant, but are you sure?

I was hoping it was behind one of the rear quarter panels.
Yeah, that would be convienent, but I took mine apart back there looking for it. That is where they used to put them. I found it in a diagram of the electrical system,(see 70AARCUDA post) and it (GPS) IS behind the radio, at least it is in the dash and relatively unaccessable. The OnStar IS the mirror.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that would be convienent, but I took mine apart back there looking for it. That is where they used to put them. I found it in a diagram of the electrical system,(see 70AARCUDA post) and it (GPS) IS behind the radio, at least it is in the dash and relatively unaccessable. The OnStar IS the mirror.
Looking at 70AARCUDA's post in the 1st link, it looks like #9 is the module I'm looking to access.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That's what I said!
Hey, it's the old adage of measure twice and cut once.

But it looks more or less behind the radio module and not the glove box.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Read on another older thread here on the same topic(didn't do a search, D'oh).

Anyway, can the module be accessed by removing the glovebox and not pulling out the radio from the dash?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had the shop disable the Onstar today and guess what??? The car wouldn't start. They even tired it with pulling out the 3 wires connected to the module and nothing.

So it looks like my Cruze aftermarket system will be running both OEM and aftermarket....It works but it is strange.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am also interested in disabeling OnStar, and I can verify that the vehicle will not run with the module disconnecetd. I haven't had time to play with the system but I suspect it's due to the controller network running through the OnStar module. It may be possible to jump the communication circuits together at the OnStar connector and get the vehicle to function, but I shudder to imagine the array of warning lights and messages that would result.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Has ANYONE tried formally asking their GM-dealership for information about "disconnecting" OnStar™ yet? It would be VERY interesting if Mothership-GM comes back and says it can't be done without also disabling the whole car...talk about legal recourse (!!) because, OnStar™ is NOT federally mandated like the DDR is.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has ANYONE tried formally asking their GM-dealership for information about "disconnecting" OnStar™ yet? It would be VERY interesting if Mothership-GM comes back and says it can't be done without also disabling the whole car...talk about legal recourse (!!) because, OnStar™ is NOT federally mandated like the DDR is.
Ok, who wants to be the 1st?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone know where the Onstar module is located?

Thanks
Stuart is correct. If you remove the glovebox, the module will be visible on the right side.

Onstar_1.jpg

If you want to disable 2-way communication with Onstar while retaining the mobile phone Bluetooth functionality, disconnect the antenna feed from the module.

Also, do not disconnect J1, J2, J3 (or remove the module entirely), or vehicle start will be disabled (as you found out).

·
Registered
183 Posts
I know you can call OnStar and have them "terminate" the data connection to your car on their end, if of course you believe what they say. Since they have announced they are now selling your data (gps location, speed, etc.) to anyone who will pay them for it I'd rather terminate the connection on my end. I believe since you cannot eliminate the module the best way is most likely to disconnect the antenna

·
Registered
296 Posts
I know what am about to say is useless, but am gonna post it anyways.

For sure there is a way to disable OnStar, but the question is how. And I haven't got a clue either.
My point is, am from the Philippines and we don't have OnStar and the car works fine without it. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stuart is correct. If you remove the glovebox, the module will be visible on the right side.

If you want to disable 2-way communication with Onstar while retaining the mobile phone Bluetooth functionality, disconnect the antenna feed from the module.

Also, do not disconnect J1, J2, J3 (or remove the module entirely), or vehicle start will be disabled (as you found out).

where is the antenna located? or is clearly labeled?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts