Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yearly rate of $169.95 is the same, billed yearly. My trial has run out and I paid for one more month, Is there anyway to save on the basic service only rate? Why do I even need it?

·
10,711 Posts
Yearly rate of $169.95 is the same, billed yearly. My trial has run out and I paid for one more month, Is there anyway to save on the basic service only rate? Why do I even need it?
Only benefit is if you crash hard enough that it calls for help when you aren't able to or you like directions and connections because you purchased a Cruze w/o nav(which should be a stand alone feature and keep more customers!) Besides that, it's pointless as paying for Pandora One. If you have purchased minutes already burn them as fast as you can since you already paid one more month. They only roll over if you buy more minutes and continue to pay the monthly OnStar fee. Once they expire, they are gone.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
S U P EDDY you can dump that program , unless you think you are going to go for a long Journey to no where in particular for absolutely nothing in particular for no one !

In other words they only track you .

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Remote lock/unlock along with vehicle tracking are the two biggest benefits in my opinion but I'll agree the price is way to much.

·
10,711 Posts
Remote lock/unlock along with vehicle tracking are the two biggest benefits in my opinion but I'll agree the price is way to much.
2014 gets unlock w/o active membership...

Familylink lets you track your own car.

·
10,711 Posts
I meant them unlocking if you lose your phone and keys. What is familylink?

2014 gets the remote unlock through the app after the membership expires, Familylink is what you use to track your kids using the OnStar GPS. You can have it set up to send you txt and emails at lets say 3:55 PM of the cars location everyday till you end the alerts or after a set day. It's like $4 extra a month on top of the OnStar monthly. Familylink is now apart of the Remotelink app on the last update they did. Go to nav icon then the car with magnifying glass.

Here is my car according to OnStar...withing the service bay area where it was left by me.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
2014 gets the remote unlock through the app after the membership expires, Familylink is what you use to track your kids using the OnStar GPS. You can have it set up to send you txt and emails at lets say 3:55 PM of the cars location everyday till you end the alerts or after a set day. It's like $4 extra a month on top of the OnStar monthly. Familylink is now apart of the Remotelink app on the last update they did. Go to nav icon then the car with magnifying glass.

Here is my car according to OnStar...withing the service bay area where it was left by me.

Nice, did not know that. We really need a section that explains out the onstar/apps in the car. I know there is documentation out there from the respective producers of the software but who actually reads it? LOL

·
Registered
133 Posts
I canceled mine. I would only want it back for the navigation which is $30 a month. Definitely not worth it. I'll use my phone or tablet for directions. Those are already paid for.

Reactions: iTz SADISTIK

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Only feature I really like are the tire pressure/oil life/remote lock unlock feature. Past this I just can't justify $200 a year. If it came with Netflix I would jump all over it as long as I could feed the stream into rear headrest monitors

·
Registered
82 Posts
If your in a serious crash, Onstar should call for help reguardless if you pay for it or not.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
If your in a serious crash, Onstar should call for help reguardless if you pay for it or not.
What's the reasoning behind it? ADT doesn't call the cops, if you have an ADT system, unless you pay for it...

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
15 bucks a month? That's only 50 cents per day, about half the cost for cup of coffee at Macs. Just give that up and be well protected.

Actually AAA is half the price, and in my neck of the woods, a cell phone works, where satellite doesn't, and towing is also included with AAA, OnStar just helps you find a towing company, you have to pay for it. Don't leave your Cruze unless the keys are in your pocket. But still won't do you any good if you locked up your cell phone as well.

Somehow managed to drive close to two million miles without OnStar, maybe a couple of more?

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
GM should offer free membership as a consolation prize due to all of the recalls and service issues for the past 5 years.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
I never used OnStar while I had it and could care less about it. I use my phone for GPS and it's impossible to lock myself out of my car.

My dad likes it and pays for his though. He likes the GPS, the monthly updates and the peace of mind I guess.

Sent with iLove

·
Registered
57 Posts
That is correct, (at least in Canada).

I was broadsided a few months ago in my OnStar disabled Cobalt. The OnStar rep connected immediately checking on my condition and contacting 911. (Not a scratch on me, but car was totaled.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you call to inquire about renewal plans, and are patient, you can get to the 2nd level management and get a much better deal. They will pass you to the "cancellation department" and I always tell them I would like an offer close to $100/yr and have never had an issue. They'd rather keep you then lose you.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
For the past 3 years I've said I wouldn't pay for OnStar even if it was $4.95 a month. On the other hand.....I wouldn't pay for XM even if it was $4.95 a YEAR!!!
Can anyone tell me why my 1985 Corvette came standard with heated outside side view mirrors but it's an option on NEW cars?

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
It is a corvette and the price of a corvette has that already covered !

·
10,711 Posts
For the past 3 years I've said I wouldn't pay for OnStar even if it was $4.95 a month. On the other hand.....I wouldn't pay for XM even if it was $4.95 a YEAR!!!
Can anyone tell me why my 1985 Corvette came standard with heated outside side view mirrors but it's an option on NEW cars?
Because all of the new required safety stuff makes it harder to cut corners. When the reverse camera comes to law we may lose vanity mirrors, a/c and cup holders if you don't get that package or top model.

Sent from my iFail 5s

1 - 20 of 23 Posts