Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I got a letter from OnStar stating that my several month old Cruze had outdated OnStar technology, and would require an update. They went on to say that details would be released in January 2015, the same year the old technology would become unusable. A few days ago I received the same letter offering no new information.

I would like to know if Onstar/GM is going to be offering upgrades for free (we were supposed to be informed this month anyways), as I think it's kind of a kick in the balls to charge people to upgrade technology on brand new vehicles.

If they are going to charge for the upgrades, will there be a rebate option for people who do not want to pay for upgrades since the use of OnStar was a purchasing factor in the vehicle.

If somebody from GM or OnStar would like to reply with contact information for Global Media to contact as that would be my next step.

I understand the need to upgrade technology but cars under warranty should be able to get this upgrade for free.

https://www.onstar.com/ca/en/2gcdma.html

· Premium Member
7,542 Posts
Sounds like they're scrambling to come up with a replacement module. They'll have to hammer out contracts with the service providers, and see if they'll work in other areas, and only then go into production. That's a non-trivial task. Once they have modules - or at least prices can they think about what to charge or create offerings.

Edit: Looks like they already have the modules for the 2015 Cruzes. So I guess they just have to figure out how to install them into the earlier models. It seems like on-star is rather tightly integrated with the car's computer systems, so I'm sure there's a fair amount of software testing and debugging involved.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I certainly won't pay for an upgrade... As far as I am concerned, that's a warranty issue. It worked when I bought the car, and if it stops working before the warranty is expired then GM or Onstar should have to fix it.

· Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,189 Posts
I certainly won't pay for an upgrade... As far as I am concerned, that's a warranty issue. It worked when I bought the car, and if it stops working before the warranty is expired then GM or Onstar should have to fix it.
Although OnStar likely didn't anticipate the 2G CDMA changes in Canada and despite the fact that engineering and implementing a solution will not be inexpensive, I simply cannot imagine OnStar would pass along the cost of a necessary upgrade/fix to a subscribing customer. Aforementioned said, I also wouldn't expect OnStar to offer the upgrade/fix to non-subscribing vehicles equipped with outdated technology.
- -
Just my tuppence worth.

10,589 Posts
Although OnStar likely didn't anticipate the 2G CDMA changes in Canada and despite the fact that engineering and implementing a solution will not be inexpensive, I simply cannot imagine OnStar would pass along the cost of a necessary upgrade/fix to a subscribing customer. Aforementioned said, I also wouldn't expect OnStar to offer the upgrade/fix to non-subscribing vehicles equipped with outdated technology.
- -
Just my tuppence worth.
Same time it would be a good way to kill off old subscribers by not discounting the service if they out of pocket the upgrade.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Nice looking Chevy, guessing its a 1951 with an overhead valve six cylinder engine and with a two speed Powerglide transmission. Ha, was a bit two slow for me back then, but would be perfectly find now since I am a grandpa. Always loved a two door hardtop.

To stay on topic, did this car have OnStar? LOL. Sure miss those side vent windows.

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I would blame the providers in Canada and not OnStar who simply purchased time on an existing network. This is not a "Warranty Issue" and the free trial was just that, free so you are out nothing. I have found here in the U.S., OnStar will do anything to keep your business, just stuck me on a year Directions & Connections promo. 2 months free and added 200 calling minutes for $19.95 a month. I find the service to have exceeded my expectations. Watched a movie with Arnold, and he was driving an OnStar car with features not available yet. Perhaps I should complain to G.M as well?

[h=3]The 6th Day[/h](2000)

00:07:56 OnStar will now disengage automatic drive.

• Time - Phrase
  • 00:07:51 I was that easy.
  • 00:07:53 Your destination, Double X Charter Airport, is ahead.
  • 00:07:56 OnStar will now disengage automatic drive.
  • 00:07:59 - Are you ready? - Yes.
  • 00:08:01 Manual drive engaged.

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
I would blame the providers in Canada and not OnStar who simply purchased time on an existing network. This is not a "Warranty Issue" and the free trial was just that, free so you are out nothing.

Your logic is flawed here..... one of the features he bought with the car is Onstar. Sure technology's change but were not talking about a 5 year old car here. The consumer should not have to pay for upgrades to fix problems that should have been foreseen before the car was ever sold in the first place. The OP car is less than a year old, GM should be footing the bill for this.

I see no value at all in Onstar & feel even $20 a month is a rip off($240 a year). I already have a phone with me at all times that works in my area, something I can't say about onstar calling plans(they use the Verizon network). Directions? I have a GPS in my car at all times.

Don't forget ALL GM cars come with free roadside assistance and towing for 5 years/100K. See the section on the link below titled roadside assistance. Chevy Warranty Information | Owners | Chevrolet

· Resident Forum Drunkard
8,257 Posts
I just went out and got me a made in china Pc , 2 Din does everything Knock off brand iGo playen , DVD , 3D Maps . Android 4.2.2 , 4G , Wifi , Rear Camera , 5.1 surround Sound .. fer ..$89.00 Plus shipping from Sheng something China .. Only took about three Months to Install with a little help from The Installer.com .. OH did I write ASTC TV playen ..Built in Blùetooth , A2DP - Streaming . Touch Screen ..

I Don't Miss On Star ..Never did in 4 years ..

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Your logic is flawed here..... one of the features he bought with the car is Onstar. Sure technology's change but were not talking about a 5 year old car here.
No OnStar is a separate optional service. Nobody buys the CRUZE because it has OnStar or XM, those are just some additional features available at an additional price where available. GM, although it owns OnStar does not control the Canadian Data network. When the new CRUZE is finally sold in Cuba it will have the OnStar capability but no OnStar service, same with Mexico and Pago Pago. I liken it to my new Refrigerator which is making a noise, sounds like it wants to poop out an Ice cube yet doesn't have an Ice cube maker, yet the same model can come equipped with a Ice Cube maker. . This is a Canadian Data provider problem which has nothing to do with G.M. and or a Warranty? OnStar comes with a free trial and unless there is an extra charge for the OnStar equipment, there is no loss here.

· Resident Forum Drunkard
8,257 Posts
Sup Eddy ? what ya only come out on Saturday Nights Now .. I Don't have On Star ,. So do Ya have time to give Spacedout a VoTe ?

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your logic is flawed here..... one of the features he bought with the car is Onstar. Sure technology's change but were not talking about a 5 year old car here. The consumer should not have to pay for upgrades to fix problems that should have been foreseen before the car was ever sold in the first place. The OP car is less than a year old, GM should be footing the bill for this.

I see no value at all in Onstar & feel even $20 a month is a rip off($240 a year). I already have a phone with me at all times that works in my area, something I can't say about onstar calling plans(they use the Verizon network). Directions? I have a GPS in my car at all times.

Don't forget ALL GM cars come with free roadside assistance and towing for 5 years/100K. See the section on the link below titled roadside assistance. Chevy Warranty Information | Owners | Chevrolet
My thoughts exactly. I bought the car because one of the features was Onstar. I honestly have no use for the phone service or the directions as I can do that all on my phone but I really do like the automatic crash response. US people might not appreciate the fact that up in Canada if you crash on a rural road and are unable to call for help yourself, it may be 5 hours until somebody else drives down that same road. I do a lot of rural driving so it was a good feature for me, but I cannot justify spending more money on a feature I technically already paid for less than a year ago.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No OnStar is a separate optional service. Nobody buys the CRUZE because it has OnStar or XM, those are just some additional features available at an additional price where available. GM, although it owns OnStar does not control the Canadian Data network. When the new CRUZE is finally sold in Cuba it will have the OnStar capability but no OnStar service, same with Mexico and Pago Pago. I liken it to my new Refrigerator which is making a noise, sounds like it wants to poop out an Ice cube yet doesn't have an Ice cube maker, yet the same model can come equipped with a Ice Cube maker. . This is a Canadian Data provider problem which has nothing to do with G.M. and or a Warranty? OnStar comes with a free trial and unless there is an extra charge for the OnStar equipment, there is no loss here.
So you wouldn't be annoyed if your refrigerators ice cube function stopped functioning because water stopped freezing in refrigerators but still froze in trays?

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
So you wouldn't be annoyed if your refrigerators ice cube function stopped functioning because water stopped freezing in refrigerators but still froze in trays?
No because my model did not support Ice Cubes. If my manager would have paid extra for the maker that did make the cubes then yes I would be mad. As you know you didn't pay extra for the feature you didn't get. Besides this wasn't a G.M. thing, it was a Canadian thing with the providers of 2G data in Canada. As a side note I have read the OnStar emergency accident protection service does not work flawlessly and in my last accident I didn't even have a windshield left to press any help button even though its supposed to work automatically.

· Registered
57 Posts
My thoughts exactly. I bought the car because one of the features was Onstar.
One thing to remember about OnStar is that the "collision" emergency service is responsive whether you subscribe to OnStar or not. There have been a few threads about this.

I cancelled my OnStar subscription after the trial period expired with my 2008 Cobalt. (I think the basic plan was $24.95/mo back then.)

Last March I was broadsided by a red light runner, and the OnStar operator contacted me, queried me about my condition and whether I needed emergency services, and (as I recall) contact Police. (That said, I also contacted 911, so I'm not sure if OnStar did contact emergency services or not.)

So whether you subscribe to OnStar or not, you will be protected by OnStar in an emergency situation unless this policy has changed.

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
One thing to remember about OnStar is that the "collision" emergency service is responsive whether you subscribe to OnStar or not. There have been a few threads about this.

I cancelled my OnStar subscription after the trial period expired with my 2008 Cobalt. (I think the basic plan was $24.95/mo back then.)

Last March I was broadsided by a red light runner, and the OnStar operator contacted me, queried me about my condition and whether I needed emergency services, and (as I recall) contact Police. (That said, I also contacted 911, so I'm not sure if OnStar did contact emergency services or not.)

So whether you subscribe to OnStar or not, you will be protected by OnStar in an emergency situation unless this policy has changed.
I doubt that as Automatic Crash Response is their main selling point for subscribing to the service? The only thing that is FREE is the Mobile Phone App in 2014+ Units. In any case the service isn't available in most of Canada anymore. They probably called you during your crash to ask if you wanted to sign up?:wub:
https://www.onstarconnections.com/services/acr/
https://www.onstar.com/us/en/plans-pricing.html
Map Ecoregion World

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Auto crash response works in like severe cases mostly when airbags deploy. The red Impala commercial being ran off the road won't do it as I was in similar where I was physically ran off the road.
Well in all fairness the Bag did deploy in that Video but OnStar is not on your side if you don't subscribe to them. Otherwise they would be monitoring millions of GM Cars with thousands of representatives for free. Nothing is free!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.