Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Onstar forces auto buyers to sign up for their services under the facade of "three free months". The clear hope is that you forget to cancel which allows them to quietly bill your credit card until you discover their scam. The dealer told me they should have sent an email indicating the paid subscription was beginning in February but a search through numerous OnStar emails revealed no such notice. When I called to request a credit I was told someone would get in touch with me within 48 hours. After waiting a week or so I called back and was told it could take up to 30 days to review my request. After about 45 days I called back and during that call I was read a maple syrup coated rejection based on their claim that I received uninterrupted OnStar service and therefore didn't qualify for a refund. I complained about their unethical billing practices and asked them to have a supervisor contact me so I could escalate the complaint. I was told someone would be in touch with me within 24 hours but a week has passed with no contact from OnStar. In my opinion OnStar billing practices are subversive, strategic and unethical. I will never use their services nor will I never purchase a vehicle if forced to sign up for OnStar.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
They didn't force me to do ****.

·
Administrator
25,150 Posts
You didn't have to give them your credit card. My salesman (for my last three GMs) specifically told me not to give them my credit card.

·
Administrator
25,150 Posts
Onstar forces auto buyers to sign up for their services under the facade of "three free months". The clear hope is that you forget to cancel which allows them to quietly bill your credit card until you discover their scam. The dealer told me they should have sent an email indicating the paid subscription was beginning in February but a search through numerous OnStar emails revealed no such notice. When I called to request a credit I was told someone would get in touch with me within 48 hours. After waiting a week or so I called back and was told it could take up to 30 days to review my request. After about 45 days I called back and during that call I was read a maple syrup coated rejection based on their claim that I received uninterrupted OnStar service and therefore didn't qualify for a refund. I complained about their unethical billing practices and asked them to have a supervisor contact me so I could escalate the complaint. I was told someone would be in touch with me within 24 hours but a week has passed with no contact from OnStar. In my opinion OnStar billing practices are subversive, strategic and unethical. I will never use their services nor will I never purchase a vehicle if forced to sign up for OnStar.
File a complaint with your state's consumer protection department.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
This is such common practice. OnStar is shitty, yes. But it is not for this reason.

If you feel that cheated just do a chargeback it's really not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Challenge the charge with your credit card company.
That's what a Charge back is but you knew that. You can challenge this charge but the Service was by default ordered. Onstar has treated me exceptionally well, probably among the top ongoing trial/promo offers I participate in. They value their long time customers and $105 for the 6 month everything package is certainly fair

·
Registered
362 Posts
OP c'mon man. You're playing the worlds smallest violin right now haha. That's the way the world works and you made next to zero effort to take control of the situation. Who waits patiently in 2019 for 45 days before they issue a complaint?

I set a reminder on my phone for 90 days the first week I got my car, the service turned off automatically because I didn't initially give them my credit card, and after 3 months I called them to confirm everything was cancelled and they were super friendly about it.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
IIRC. There was also an online account setup. You could check the status of your onstar account. Along with your hotspot feature.

I was never asked for my CC. So I didn't have anything to worry about.

·
Administrator
25,150 Posts
OP c'mon man. You're playing the worlds smallest violin right now haha. That's the way the world works and you made next to zero effort to take control of the situation. Who waits patiently in 2019 for 45 days before they issue a complaint?

I set a reminder on my phone for 90 days the first week I got my car, the service turned off automatically because I didn't initially give them my credit card, and after 3 months I called them to confirm everything was cancelled and they were super friendly about it.
I didn't even call. They had no way to bill me so I didn't care.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I purchased my Cruze.... the dealer had me do the sign-up with them directly through the vehicle. During the process, they asked for my credit card information so that I could continue the service after the introductory period (certified used - only offered 1 month free) at a significantly reduced rate. I refused to provide my CC# and they still signed me up for the first month.

Of course they continually called me as my trial period was nearing an end and kept offering me deals to keep it going. I found no value in it and made it clear to them what I thought of it.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
I have a 2014 and OnStar and Sirius/XM still send me postcards. I just throw them away.
You shouldn't do that. I got a junk pull-a-part postcard and just happened to read it. Because I called Holiday Inn & they broke the law a class suit amount of $266 was waiting for me, almost tossed it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn’t have an issue with them canceling me. I paid for a year service on our daily drivers, mine an 18 cruze and my wife’s with a 19 Blazer. I noticed that on my ZL1 they were charging me $35 a month, I called and told them I didn’t want it, and they credited me back $70 for the inconvenience. Only reason I need it for is for the auto start with the app and I likenaome of the features for the daily drivers. I would call back and just try and be nicer, not saying anything that you were rude, but maybe you just got a service rep that was having a bad day. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
164 Posts
I gave them my card and activated the free trial. I did this on three Chevrolet vehicles I purchased over the last five years. When the trial was over I opted out or I never agreed to continue by confirming my information. True I keep on getting junk mail and spam calls about OnStar services but that stops over a short time after you opt out when the trial period ends. If your concerned about being forced to continue then do what I did. Go into your MyChevy account and change or remove your CC info. I changed the experation date in my card to show it just expired. Now the account says card expired and they can't use it even if I give them a go ahead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts