Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Seem to be having issues getting my cruze up to operating temperature when it is below -15C outside. For example, on my way to work this morning (45Km Highway 95KM/H) at ~-25C when I put the fan speed on the highest setting I could actually drop the coolant temperature from operating temp (90-100C) to about 60-70C.
I would imagine the thermostat would be closed during this scenario, but I don't believe there is a way of checking via EFILive, My last scan doesn't seem to have a PID for it.

My theory is that the air entering the heater core is cooling the engine faster than it can make heat, I would put it on recirculate but I'm also having an issue with frost building up on the inside of my windows.

Has anyone come up with a way to help the 1.4 Make more heat? I'm thinking of blocking off the front Grill to see if that helps at all.

Thanks

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
This is a known issue with the Gen 1's 1.4T engine. Some of us have had good experiences with the AMSoil coolant additive. Calling @XtremeRevolution for more information.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Your theory is spot on......the thermostat likely never even opens.
As you have found, you can actually cool the engine if the fan speed is on high.

This is not just a Cruze thing though.....in fact, Honda is going through the same scenario with their new 1.5t used in the Civic......same situation.
You'll also notice that if you are at a long stoplight the temp will drop at any fan speed above the lowest setting.

Yes, recirc helps, but you have to have a window cracked to minimize the fogging.....that or stop breathing heh heh.

So, there is no fix.....this is a very efficient engine and efficient engines use fuel to move the car with little heat pushed into the cooling system.

When this forum was young (2011) I think this was one of our primary discussions when the weather got cold.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Like the others have said, this is the result of the small and efficient 1.4L engine. Keep your fan speed on low until the engine has fully warmed up, and then you will have good heat. You will need to keep your engine at 2000 rpm's or higher to do this.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Meanwhile in Arizona, August ambient coolant temp before even starting the car is near +50C (120F).

It’s interesting to read about the extremes these little engines have to operate under. Stay warm out there!

Reactions: obermd

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
This is a known issue with the Gen 1's 1.4T engine. Some of us have had good experiences with the AMSoil coolant additive. Calling @XtremeRevolution for more information.
As Mike said, the AMSOIL coolant boost has helped in cases like this. Ultimately, the concern most drivers have in those conditions is not the engine warming up, but the result of that; you getting heat in the cabin. AMSOIL coolant boost improves the thermal transfer between the coolant and the metal, which is not a 100% efficient transfer. This means it will allow the coolant to pull heat from the engine more efficiently, and dissipate that heat through the heater core more efficiently.

The end result is that it will appear as though the engine is taking even longer to warm up than before, but that you will be more comfortable in the cabin as a result.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...ator-coolant-boost/?code=RDCBCN-EA&zo=5224266

·
Registered
253 Posts
the 2nd gen doesn't have this issue. I think mainly because the new engine block is aluminum and the old one is cast iron. Also they designed it to heat up faster. A option also for those in really cold area is put a piece of cardboard or something in front of radiator to block some of the air. yes it won't look pretty but it will keep you warmer. Just remember to remove it once it gets warmer.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
the 2nd gen doesn't have this issue. I think mainly because the new engine block is aluminum and the old one is cast iron. Also they designed it to heat up faster. A option also for those in really cold area is put a piece of cardboard or something in front of radiator to block some of the air. yes it won't look pretty but it will keep you warmer. Just remember to remove it once it gets warmer.
Water cooled exhaust manifold makes most of the difference I think. It warms up super quickly. However, it WILL cool down at idle with the heater blasting away.

With the Gen 1, just keep the fan speed off full and it should stay warm once it gets warm (unless you're idling a lot). I typically left the fan OFF entirely til the temp gauge hit 1/4, and then turned it on speed 2-3.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Where did you get that and how much was it?
I just made it from a sheet of cor-plast. I think I got about 10 of the block offs out of one sheet. It is just held on by two zip-ties.

It may be a placebo, but I feel that it helps my fuel mileage by reducing aerodynamic drag and allowing the engine to run hotter.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
I leave my manual in one gear lower than I normally do as I shift through the gears, this way I warm the engine up more, although it doesn't completely solve the problem for short trips.

What I mean is that if I normally am in fifth when going 40 mph, I drive it in fourth...and so on. At least this way I'm not lugging a cold engine but rather always keeping it around 2000 rpms in the city.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, Luckily It's warmed up a bit here (-10C or so). I think I'll give blocking off the rad a try, Can't hurt really. I think I have a bottle of that Waterwetter somewhere in my garage so I might give that a go as well, I would assume it is somewhat comparable to the Amsoil product?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts