Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you say. To add...or not to add...? This is the question. I've never used the stuff and saw it sitting on a shelf. I got a little curios.

·
Registered
647 Posts
no don't. i have seen this stuff kill engines. mainly cause they used it at 100,000 miles and when it cleaned up all the gunk in the engine it filled the cheap ass oil filter they were using and the engine seized. they say if you use it from day 1 you won't have a problem. but i don't want to find out

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm at 13k miles, so I should be fine as far as gunk overload..What are the benefits? I hope to get some people with 1st hand experience on this.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
MMO is well regarded over on Bobistheoilguy, as long as it's used responsibly. I've used it in the gas and had a noticeable difference in how the car idled.

Using it in the oil in a Cruze, I wouldn't bother. The dexos1 oil should keep the engine clean as long as it's changed on schedule.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
ANALOGY -- Do you really want to put A1™ Steak Sauce on Filet Mignon? Similarly, do you think adding "mystery" to dexos1™ makes it behave like dexos100? -- I don't think so (wink,wink)!

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
It also was a tried and true fix on the Saturn SL series cars to clear up the excessive oil burning issue caused by gummed up piston oil control rings. Plug out the plugs, pour in the MMO let soak overnight and let her rip. It sure worked on my daughters 98 SL2. If MMO it was snake oil I doubt it would have lasted for over 80 years now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definitely a NO in the oil. Really unnecessary especially with the Dexos1 rate oils, especially if you're using the full synthetic Dexos1 oils. In the gas I might consider it simply because we have less control over the quality of gas, outside of the octane rating, what we put in our cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok..Some great input on adding to the oil and I now know not too...A few of you mentioned adding to the gas...
1. What are the typical benefits to this?
2. Does it keep the seals and all in the system lubed so you don't get sticky injectors?
3. Does anyone know if it burns clean enough so that you don't end up with dirty valves?
4. If you use it do you stick to the directions on the bottle or have you found that it's best to use more or less?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't agree with that wholly. Preventative maintenance keeps you from having more troubles than you should down the road.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I can't agree with that wholly. Preventative maintenance keeps you from having more troubles than you should down the road.
LOL, adding "mystery" oil is not preventive maintenance. If you want to have a clean engine & fuel system run Top Tier Gas(GM recommended) & Dexos labeled oil(GM Required).

Never had a oil or fuel system failure in any of my GM cars, with well over 100,000miles.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...hasn't anybody noticed the seemingly similarity of names "...SNAKE OIL..." and MYSTERY oil?

Reactions: spacedout

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Back in the early 70 s yes , today no,the fuel distributed to us has many solvents to deter carbon building up in the combustion chambers. I would not recommend pouring a bottle of MM into the oil or the fuel tank.
If you like blue smoke go ahead then/

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Well ive been running 4 ounces of MMO to 10 gallons of gas from day one. I now am at 20k with no known issues. The gas I use does not mention any use of additives so I do my own. I do agree with no need to run MMO in oil do to the high detergent already in Dexos 1 oil. They only concern I have is maybe clogging the cat prematurely but not sure on that. I do beleive adding MMO to gas will not do any harm at all to any engine interior components. Im really using MMO as a upper intake, injector, cylinder cleaner and a fuel pump lubricant.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
The gas I use does not mention any use of additives so I do my own.
All gas has additives/detergents, Top Teir gas just has more. Now instead of guessing and adding a mystery to your brand new car why not add a fuel system treatment/additive that is actually a proven detergent? There are lots but for pour in additives I would probably go with Chevron Techron Concentrate, considering this is a Top Teir fuel & the same additive they use in there gas. Honestly though why not just buy a Top Teir gas & get the correct level of detergents to begin with & not waste your money & run the risk of damaging your car?

They only concern I have is maybe clogging the cat prematurely but not sure on that. I do believe adding MMO to gas will not do any harm at all to any engine interior components.
This crap should not be added to the gas of any modern fuel injected car. There is not much mystery to what is in this stuff & yes it can harm your engine & cat. If one were to just google: "Marvel Mystery Oil Analysis" you would see this is not anything you want in your oil or fuel system. More than one person has submitted MMO to blackstone labs and others for analysis, it has shown to be very thin oil, food coloring, animal fat, solvents & some metals & has low flash point...... sounds like a great thing to add to your fuel!

·
Administrator
15,760 Posts
There is not one single member on this board who I have butt heads with more than spacedout, but he's 100% on the money with what he said about these additives.

There is no such thing as a "mechanic in a can" or a "super secret longevity sauce" that you can add to your crankcase. Preventative maintenance means replacing a gasket ahead of time that you are 100% sure will fail, or replacing your transmission fluid before its due date instead of waiting for problems, or checking the remaining thickness on your brake pads, or flushing your coolant even though it all looks perfectly fine. Preventative maintenance isn't adding something to your crankcase that isn't supposed to be there.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Well ive been running 4 ounces of MMO to 10 gallons of gas from day one. I now am at 20k with no known issues. The gas I use does not mention any use of additives so I do my own. I do agree with no need to run MMO in oil do to the high detergent already in Dexos 1 oil. They only concern I have is maybe clogging the cat prematurely but not sure on that. I do beleive adding MMO to gas will not do any harm at all to any engine interior components. Im really using MMO as a upper intake, injector, cylinder cleaner and a fuel pump lubricant.
Then why not just add Gumout fuel injector cleaner once a month like I have been doing for over a year now much safer than MMO IMHO.

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I just cant trust fuel/additives mixtures are done correctly at the tanker fill stations. Thats why I add my own and it just happens to be MMO. Maybe its just luck I havent had any issues but it sure is a mystery.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts