Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Video
Good Evening CruzeTalk!

I am currently looking at Chevy Cruze LTZ models. I found, in my opinion, a maintained and taken care of Cruze. This model was first owned by an individual who averaged 10k miles and had it for two years. They ended up selling it, and the dealership Certified Pre-Owned the car. Afterwhich, the next owner had it for 4ish years and put 14k miles a year on the vehicle.

The current dealership I would be buying it from has done the following work: a catalytic converter, an O2 sensor, front rotors and pads, and a water pump pulley.

I have the car getting inspected for the PVC valve for free under warranty and was also going to have them diagnose the vacuum noise. I was hoping the dealership would allow me to be there and see the engine bay a little more exposed so I could have the mechanic give me a run down. I will be reaching out tomorrow about that.

This Cruze has 102k miles on it, and the transmission felt smooth with no noticeable issues. The underbody was clean for 100k, and the tires, rims, and paint were all in above-average condition. Where the interior was superior, rating for its age and use. The pedals were not beaten, and the whole area was excellent.

I ran a diagnostic tool, and there are no pending codes or any issues arising. The fuel mixture ran well and was smooth. The only thing I would ask is it normal for the EVAP to show an X instead of a checkmark? If not, what would be the issue there?

Lastly, this is my first post, and I am wary of purchasing a vehicle with a 1.4L engine and its issues. But, I am mechanically inclined and know many of the common problems are fixes I would enjoy doing on a Saturday or Sunday. I drive 80% highway miles, to clarify also.

Lastly, I went two days in a row and drove the care for 25 minutes each time. Again, nothing out of the norm happened on the code reader or while driving. If anything, it was smooth and accessible other than the vacuum noise.

I would love some opinions on how the engine looks and questions or concerns to bring to the dealer or chevy before the engine inspection!

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Wheres the turbo heat shield? Going to need a water pump, among other things. Its a 1.4, so all the issues associated with the PCV system will need to be addressed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wheres the turbo heat shield? Going to need a water pump, among other things. Its a 1.4, so all the issues associated with the PCV system will need to be addressed.
The Turbo heat shield is missing. I would say it didn't look bad. Normal wear and tear with a 100k motor. The water pump is covered to 120k. I am getting the PCV system diagnosed by the Chevy dealer to see if the noise is from there. If it is, that is fully covered until 150k miles or 10 years.

I am not naive and realize at 100k, and there will be fixes that need to be addressed and serviced. However, the significant part for me is that this engine bay and engine are very serviceable to the layman mechanic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts