Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 cruze 6 spd man. Has 33k on it. As I have read, the oem tranny fluid isn't up to the task and it seems amsoil is the way to go. I have a 6yr 100k b2b warranty. My question is: has the tranny already had damage done in the last 33k? Would it be better to let it possibly fail under warranty and put amsoil in the new one? Or should I change fluid now and have this one possibly fail later down the road out of warranty?

Sorry for the novel.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
When bearings fail, due to lubrication concerns, they make a howl or whine. A bearing failure is when the case hardening has flaked off the races or balls or rollers. So, a undamaged bearing is silent, a damaged bearing howls.

With that in mind, and you indicating the trans has no current issues, I would be inclined to service it now in an effort to reduce the potential of a bearing failure, as opposed to the, 'hope it fails during warranty', mindset.

Rob

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Some were underfilled from the factory; 2014 may be at least a 2 qt fill.

I really liked the Amsoil 75w-90 for improved shift quality, but seeing as you're way, way up north and that fluid isn't awesome in the cold, stick with the Synchromesh. Re-fill with 2.5 qts.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree with Robby. 33k is really just an extended break-in period, anyway. Drain and refill.

I've used AMSOIL in my transmissions for years, and I really like the product. I am not versed enough in tranny fluids to recommend a particular weight based on location and anticipated load, so I defer to more educated people in that area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts