Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Current:
Decided to do some more upgrading on my 2014 Chevy Cruze LT (no navigation or pioneer system). Currently I'm running 2 subs in the back, I got the RCA input from them from using a high low converter (tapped into speaker wires between front an back door) recommend this x10 over the pac it was nothing but a nightmare for me.

Upgrade:
Ordered a new amp to power my subs, leaving me with a 180 rms 2 channel amp with high level input. I want to leave this in the car to power the door speakers. Here's where I want opinions on my plans before I start modifying. I'm going to add 2 rca splitters on the high low and run another rca cable to the second amp. 4 gauge power wire to the pack that will go into a distribution block splitting off to the two amps, and then a second ground installed in the trunk. From what I've found online all the speaker wires are behind the plastic by the hood release latch. When tapping into them wires I'm assuming I will have to cut the wires so there will not be any extra juice flowing back to the receiver? (Hoping to not have to cut any wires) Run wires from where I tapped in back to my amp and connect them to them to the high level input adapter.

Or would I be better running my amps in series? If I went that way I'm assuming the first amp would be the master amp which would effect the controls on the other I believe?

Please let me know if my plans correct or any flaws, Thanks.

New amp: [h=1]Hifonics Brutus BRX1100.1D[/h]
Old amp for speakers:
[h=2]PA-2100[/h]400 watt bridgeable stereo power amplifier with bass boost
Max Power Rating 400 watts • Rated Power 200 watts (2×100 watts or 1×200 watts), with less than 0.05% THD • Frequency Range 10Hz - 45kHz • Signal-to-Noise Ratio 105dB • Input Sensitivity from 100mV to 2V • Built-In Low Pass 12dB/Octave Filter Off/50Hz/80Hz • Built-In High Pass 12dB/Octave Filter Off/120Hz/160Hz • Gold Plated RCA Input and Speaker/Power Connectors • Thermal, Short Circuit and Overload Protection Circuitry • Input Impedance 10 kOhm • Output Impedance 2 - 8 Ohm (4 - 8 Ohm, bridged) • Remote Turn-On

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey man,
So i dont recommend going at it the way that your describing. You can simplify a lot by using the PAC LOC that going behind the radio. Its only $30 and it'll save you loads of aggravation and you wont be as likely to get engine whine. This will give you 4 RCA outs. From here, run these to the amps. Then, the speaker wire to the front speakers will need to be run back up from the amp. Here, you have two options. If you are comfortable, you can try to drill holes through the adapter in the door so the speaker wire runs straight from the amp to the speakers. If not, you'll need to splice into the wires near the front speakers. When you do this, follow the wire as it runs up and into the door adapter, and connect the wires that run from the amp to here. The other two wires will need to be taped off INDIVIDUALLY! If you tape these off together, they will short out the second you start up your car and the fuse will blow to the radio, or worse. Besides that, it looks okay. Make sure your speakers that you buy can handle the power from that amp, and you're good to go.

Hope this helps,
Ben

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man,
So i dont recommend going at it the way that your describing. You can simplify a lot by using the PAC LOC that going behind the radio. Its only $30 and it'll save you loads of aggravation and you wont be as likely to get engine whine. This will give you 4 RCA outs. From here, run these to the amps. Then, the speaker wire to the front speakers will need to be run back up from the amp. Here, you have two options. If you are comfortable, you can try to drill holes through the adapter in the door so the speaker wire runs straight from the amp to the speakers. If not, you'll need to splice into the wires near the front speakers. When you do this, follow the wire as it runs up and into the door adapter, and connect the wires that run from the amp to here. The other two wires will need to be taped off INDIVIDUALLY! If you tape these off together, they will short out the second you start up your car and the fuse will blow to the radio, or worse. Besides that, it looks okay. Make sure your speakers that you buy can handle the power from that amp, and you're good to go.

Hope this helps,
Ben
My first go at the install in my cruze I tried the pac an was nothing but a nightmare and after googling the problems about it online there where countless complaints. I high satisfied with my high low converter and have had 0 problems and 100% clarity. I have several rca splitters laying around that I can easily plug in giving me 4 outputs at the high low converter. What makes me nervous about powering the speakers that way is I will be sending 50rms watts through that same line to the speaker, will that effect the quality of the sound coming through the rcas?

More I think about it I'm willing to cut the wires near the hood release and run the wires from there to the amp. With that I could take one of the wires to a door speaker and connect my high low converter there, the connect into 2 other sets of speaker wires to power my amp and tape off the 4th set of speaker wires. (Amp is two channel)-take signal from 1 speaker from each side -1 speaker wire for high low - 4th is extra just tape off.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My first go at the install in my cruze I tried the pac an was nothing but a nightmare and after googling the problems about it online there where countless complaints. I high satisfied with my high low converter and have had 0 problems and 100% clarity. I have several rca splitters laying around that I can easily plug in giving me 4 outputs at the high low converter. What makes me nervous about powering the speakers that way is I will be sending 50rms watts through that same line to the speaker, will that effect the quality of the sound coming through the rcas?

More I think about it I'm willing to cut the wires near the hood release and run the wires from there to the amp. With that I could take one of the wires to a door speaker and connect my high low converter there, the connect into 2 other sets of speaker wires to power my amp and tape off the 4th set of speaker wires. (Amp is two channel)-take signal from 1 speaker from each side -1 speaker wire for high low - 4th is extra just tape off.
So, one of the biggest issues that you're going to run into using inline converters is engine whine. It will happen, and it probably will be nasty since you'll have a lot of power running to the speakers. But honestly, having a really hard time following your plan for this install. If you have your heart set on low line convert, then snip the front passenger side wires, tap into here for the LOC and run your RCA's back to the amp. Run a set of speaker wires back up to the other half of the cut wires. Run a second set up the driver side, cut the driver side wire, connect the wires that were run from the amp to the wires. Finally, tape off the other half of the driver side wires. This will be your best bet.

Ben

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,297 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts