Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Options for replacing PCM

1680 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Ddizzle9243
I got a "replace PCM" diagnosis from my mechanic on my 2014 1.4L. Because he doesn't have the equipment to program a new one, I had to have the local dealership make the same diagnosis. The repair estimate (which included replacing the engine harness) was over $1600. (They then offered me $700 for the vehicle.) It's at about 180,000 miles, and I don't want to sell it in its current condition (throwing incorrect codes, which leads to automatic reducing of engine power, frequently and somewhat randomly). The only persistent code is for the thermostat, which I had replaced.

Obviously, it wouldn't be hard to remove and install a new one myself, but my current location (rural MN) makes the dealership the only option for reprogramming it. I've looked into PCMs for that car, and it seems like there are options. eBay has them for that car surprisingly cheaply, but some of what I've read indicates that dealerships might refuse to reprogram a used PCM by claiming it might be stolen. I wouldn't have a problem paying for a new one if I could find a lower labor cost for repair, but I just don't have enough of a read on how common it is for non-dealerships to have the programming equipment. I've also read that the PCM can be programmed while not in the car by giving the programmer the VIN, which would allow me to install it. I'm a little nervous about that option.

The car is paid for. I bought it from my brother for $3200 because that's what the dealer was going to give him in trade, and the dealer was planning to sell it for $5000 about 10,000 miles ago. Ideally, I want to maximize its value and minimize repair costs, but I mostly just think $700 isn't enough and that I can raise that significantly with the right approach.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
try searching local junkyards for another 14 1.4 and get its pcm. iirc is the pcm the computer inside the car to “prevent theft”, that might be the only hang up just because i don’t know if the pcm is coded to each vehicle or that’s what they tell you so you spend your cash there. also i would look into what caused the pcm to fail, in 90%+ of vehicles out there very rarely does a computer of any kind fail unless something caused it, i.e. bad wiring or a short/surge of some kind in the electronics. sorry i’m not much help i’m still learning about eletronics and cars with my cruze (13 1.4t mt). most of my cars only had limited electronics and obd1 computers. i prefer dumb cars over smart cars and in mo any car 95 and older get waived for emissions so generally i try to get them cars.

· Registered
3 Posts
Any luck on this ? I replaced thermostat now I got a code for that again. Also the control module low circuit threshold. Car died out middle of driving. Started back up couple hours and drive it home. Says stuck up thermostat but the engine and everything runs ungodly hot but overheating doesn’t kick in

1 - 3 of 3 Posts