Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Cruzers. About a week ego the cruze 2012 Lt was rear ended. Now the rear bumper has holes in it, the front bumper also not much but couple small holes.
The air bag did not deploy but after the hit it started smoking and of course now the computer is showing air bag to be serviced. The other driver got ticket for following to close. The insurance is dragging their feet. They are offering $1600 to start with as they said, also offering rental car. My cruze is sitting in my garage
because of the air bag basically, to scared to drive. Have not been in an accident for long time either they changed the way of taking care of accidents or it sounds fishy to me. Any help as to approximately how much would cost for 2 bumpers and the air bag to be fixed? i don't know if i should name the insurance company or not. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Also i hear stories that because of the air bag they would often total the car?? what are the chances of that?

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Sure sounds like progressive insurance or State Farm.

My SWAG says $5K for two bumpers and an air bag. But someone else will know better.

And sorry about your rear ender. It happens to the best.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hard to say without actually getting it up in the air and inspecting it.

I would not be concerned about the air bags more than I would about the damage that is not seen.
Sometimes there can be damage underneath to the frame and other stuff under there that can easily total a car and also make a repair impossible.

I am not an expert but make clear to any insurance inspectors you want the car like it was before the accident and safe so it would be ready to take another hit if unfortunately that happens.

Good luck dealing with that crap it is not fun and you always feel like you are getting screwed.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Hi Cruzers. About a week ego the cruze 2012 Lt was rear ended. Now the rear bumper has wholes in it, the front bumper also not much but couple small wholes.
The air bag did not deploy but after the hit it started smoking and of curse now the computer is showing air bag to be serviced. The other driver got ticket for following to close. The insurance is dragging their feet. They are offering $1600 to start with as they said, also offering rental car. My cruze is sitting in my garage
because of the air bag basically, to scared to drive. Have not been in an accident for long time either they changed the way of taking care of accidents or it sounds fishy to me. Any help as to approximately how much would cost for 2 bumpers and the air bag to be fixed? i don't know if i should name the insurance company or not. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Also i hear stories that because of the air bag they would often total the car?? what are the chances of that?
Sorry to hear about your Cruze, definitely sucks.

I would take it, scratch that, TOW IT to Chevy or GM and have them work with your insurance co. Don't try driving it with a questionable airbag.

If your insurance premium is paid and policy is valid they are required by law to make you whole. Whether or not it will be totaled can only be determined by the insurance co after a thorough assessment of damages.

With all the safety technology these days, simple fender benders can often result in expensive repairs. Definitely have it handled professionally.

Good luck and keep us posted on progress. Hope you're back Cruzin' very soon!

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The air bag did not deploy but after the hit it started smoking and of course now the computer is showing air bag to be serviced.
Never heard of that. Sounds like the air bag was commanded to fire, but was a dud.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Should we start a, "My Cruze got rear ended section", Ours got hit by large SUV, rear bumper was just about even with the rear window with ripples clear to the front. Little doubt it was totaled. Airbags did not go off, good thing this has high head restrainers.

When I heard the other guy had Progressive, they spend more money on TV ads, than anybody else, just filed a claim with my own insurance company, let them fight with Progressive. Was carrying full collision and comprehensive coverage. Bit of a debate, Kelly and NADA seemed to forget to list the options we paid extra for. Refused to sign the release until they did.

Ironically, Progressive sent my wife a check for $500.00, nice sweet letter from this, we are being nice to help you with your medical bills. Good thing I have an electronic microscope, on the rear of the check in super small size print, said cashing this check releases Progressive of any future liability. Took a marker pen and wrote VOID on both sides of the check and sent ti back. We did not sign the release until my wife received a clear bill of health from our medical provider.

Ironically, my son's wife was rear ended a week later, that culprits insurance company played the same trick, picked some shaded shop to do the repairs. Son also filed a claim with his insurance company, damage has not really as bad, but had his dealer do all the repairs using brand new OEM parts. They handed that other insurance company to get their money back. Also full medical checks for my daughter-in-law and my grandson sitting in the rear seat.

Do not be in a rush to sign those releases until you are fully satisfied.

Another dirty trick they play, claiming you are 30% liable for an accident for just being there. Good point, if you weren't there, wouldn't get hit. Another trick is getting on the internet finding your same vehicle at the lowest price. This happened at least five time over the last twenty years with my kids where paying for collision and comprehensive damage darn near cost as much as what the vehicle is worth. Just took these _&^%$* to small claims court. Keep receipts for what we had i the vehicle and the maintenance cost. Always received full value, would go in with my kids as their expert witness.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Ironically, Progressive sent my wife a check for $500.00, nice sweet letter from this, we are being nice to help you with your medical bills. Good thing I have an electronic microscope, on the rear of the check in super small size print, said cashing this check releases Progressive of any future liability. Took a marker pen and wrote VOID on both sides of the check and sent ti back. We did not sign the release until my wife received a clear bill of health from our medical provider.
10/10, certified hilarious.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can ask my brother since he works at a Chevy dealership on easy pointe. Or you can call up there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts