Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm due for my second out of warranty oil change. All my warranty ones were performed at the dealer at non-specific intervals. I just got them done before they expired. My first out of warranty oil change was done at a local mechanic shop we've always taken our cars to, they do great work there so I trust they'll do it right. Last time I went they didn't want to "mess around with different oil types" and just used what the owners manual recommended; which isn't full synthetic. What I am wanting to do this time is buy my own oil and bring it with me to have them put it in. What I'm hoping I can get from all of you is some brief information so I can take care of my Diesel the best I can.

1) How often have you been changing the oil? Regular interval or sooner?

2) Are you using full synthetic? I'd like to use full synthetic as it gets cold here and I'd like it to run as smoothly as possible. From the oil list thread, I see a few at the top such as
Mobil 1 ESP 5w30/5w-40
Castrol GAU 052 195 M2 SAE 5W-30

Castrol G 052 195 1L SAE 5W-30

Does it specify if those are full synthetic? I remember reading elsewhere that any full synthetic that is Dexos 2 rated is fine. Any further info on that would be appreciated!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, first thought, why should I buy synthetic when I can buy the real stuff much cheaper. This sure changed in the last 13 years or so. Even in my 48 year old air compressor, called for conventional oil, had a oil filter on the air outlet that needed cleaning every five minutes or so, with synthetic, haven't cleaned that in years, stays clean.

Same with all my small engines, don't carbon up nearly as much. Even with my electric motors that require a few drops of oil, would take them apart and the bearing and shafts would have that rock hard dried up conventional oil on it, synthetics cured this problem. Another was my Volvo outdrive on my boat, called for conventional, what a mess in side, now staying clean with synthetics. Sure stays a lot cleaner now.

Use to say, with conventional oils, should have an oil change every 3,000 miles, with synthetics and highway driving, good for more like 8,000 miles, today, its cheaper than conventional. Walmart dropped the price of Mobile One down to 21 bucks.

GM insists on using dexos, have no idea where they came up with this name, and just watch your oil remaining life, was a bit more conservative, 20% remaining was fine with me, one time 16%, Cruze was loaded with ice and snow. Conventional oil can plug up that tiny oil feed line to the turbo.

Wasn't born paranoid, sure became this way, have no idea what an oil change place or even my dealer is pouring in, even if they only want 40 bucks extra for dexos, but caught some using a dirty container to pour it in. So just do this myself. Takes about 20 minutes, quicker than I can drive there and sit bored to death in a waiting room for over an hour. And I know that filter was replaced and exactly what I am pouring in right up to the full mark. Also spray all those rubber suspension bushings with silicone, lasts a lot longer this way. Both front and rear.

Other OEM"s do not insist on synthetics, can use conventional, semi-synthetic, or full synthetic, doesn't make any difference to them, oil change intervals are the same if you want to maintain your PT warranty.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use full synthetic in my cars, either Castrol or Mobile-1. Out here in the land of fruits and nuts, the Mobile-1 is a bit cheaper and on most new cars, the manual will give you 10,000 mile change intervals on synthetic oil.

Like @NickD, I change my oil myself: unless you are watching those guys (or completely trust your mechanic), you don't know what they are putting in your car, or if they've properly changed your filters, etc. Old oil can be dropped off for recycling at most auto parts stores (don't dump it in your yard or down a drain), and it takes maybe twenty minutes. I generally change my intake air filter every other oil change because I live in a very dusty environment. You should at least inspect your air filter every oil change.

You might want to check out your cabin filter-- it lives behind your glove box and they can get really nasty after a while. I check mine every 30,000 miles or so.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I had the first four oil changes done by Chevy dealer, they did a great job, they used a Mobil 1 dexos 2 oil, full synthetic. I did those four over 24k miles, so about 6k intervals on average. I watched them do the service so I know they did it correctly.

I am doing my own changes now when on 7500 mile intervals. Using pennzoil euro 5w 30 dexos 2. Draining the oil is easy, changing the oil filter isn't fun or easy, in a bad spot to get access. It makes a small mess every time no matter how I do it. It saves about 35 to 40 bucks for me to do it. I drive a lot so it's oil changes about every two months.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Mobil ESP. I never did any of the free oil changes. Always did them myself. Too many dealer issues not knowing what spec oil to use.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Open the pan plug first, then crack loose the filter cover, most of the oil will drain down, I waste a paper towel when pulling up he oil filter cap with the filter attached, keeps engine oil from dripping all over.

Sure took long enough to add a cabin filter to these things, before that debris would build up on the face of the evaporator. Depending on the vehicle and the age plus the work involved, Fords were miserable with that evaporator box, had to recover the refrigerant first before removing it.

Would just remove the blower motor, stick my large shop vacuum cleaner hose into that hole, duct tape my leaf blower to one opened dash vent, and switch it on, talk about a Kansas mid 30's dust storm.

Cruze is not bullet proof, while it had a fine screen in that plastic under the windshield grille, if you remove that grille, will find two large openings on either side. Debated what to do about this, felt window screen would be to fine, so went with that plastic rain gutter shield with 3/16" square holes, hot glued it on. Least this kept out the large stuff, cabin filter took care of that fine stuff.

Assume those large holes augment the grille, kind of worthless around here when snow and ice build up on it.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I had the first four oil changes done by Chevy dealer, they did a great job, they used a Mobil 1 dexos 2 oil, full synthetic. I did those four over 24k miles, so about 6k intervals on average. I watched them do the service so I know they did it correctly.

I am doing my own changes now when on 7500 mile intervals. Using pennzoil euro 5w 30 dexos 2. Draining the oil is easy, changing the oil filter isn't fun or easy, in a bad spot to get access. It makes a small mess every time no matter how I do it. It saves about 35 to 40 bucks for me to do it. I drive a lot so it's oil changes about every two months.
68K miles, '14 CTD, same Pennzoil as @IndyDiesel (readily on-hand at local Walmart) and WIX filter.

Only difference is my interval is every 5K. I realize this is expensive and unnecessary, my reason?I'm getting old and my memory never was that good to begin with LOL. The used oil gets recycled.

So when the odometer hits 70K, 75K, 80K, etc I do my oil/filter. Fuel filters and tire rotation every 10K. I use this same interval for my Cummins only I do that fuel filter every oil change, not every other. I don't always use the best fuels so I change my fuel filters often just to be sure.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
68K miles, '14 CTD, same Pennzoil as @IndyDiesel (readily on-hand at local Walmart) and WIX filter.

Only difference is my interval is every 5K. I realize this is expensive and unnecessary, my reason?I'm getting old and my memory never was that good to begin with LOL. The used oil gets recycled.

So when the odometer hits 70K, 75K, 80K, etc I do my oil/filter. Fuel filters and tire rotation every 10K. I use this same interval for my Cummins only I do that fuel filter every oil change, not every other. I don't always use the best fuels so I change my fuel filters often just to be sure.
youre changing the cruze diesel fuel filter every 10,000 miles?...the stock filter?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
i did the 'free' changes at 0%

ive done the others at 0%, some of those 1000 miles past 0%, its just oil.

i use stock filter and total ineo 5w30....its the only oil available to me where i live at the right cost, i can get mobil, but only in 1l bottles, ends up costing 2x the Total ineo, it meets the criteria

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
youre changing the cruze diesel fuel filter every 10,000 miles?...the stock filter?
That's my plan...got the car in May with 63K and will be doing the fuel filter at 70K. Filter life monitor says I still have about 65% remaining. I do my Cummins fuel filter every 5K and it comes out pretty black every time. I realize the Cummins runs a LOT more fuel through the filter than the 2.0 CTD, hence the shorter intervals.

Again, I'm a weirdo about oil and filters. Wife's 03 Yukon has 370,000 miles on the original motor using these short oil change intervals.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
That's my plan...got the car in May with 63K and will be doing the fuel filter at 70K. Filter life monitor says I still have about 65% remaining. I do my Cummins fuel filter every 5K and it comes out pretty black every time. I realize the Cummins runs a LOT more fuel through the filter than the 2.0 CTD, hence the shorter intervals.

Again, I'm a weirdo about oil and filters. Wife's 03 Yukon has 370,000 miles on the original motor using these short oil change intervals.
There is nothing wrong with shorter intervals. I just drive so much and all highway I am ok with using the oil life monitor. I have always used shorter intervals before as well.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
On my current oil (it was done at the dealer with full synthetic Dexos2) I sampled and did analysis when it was at 10% or so on the oil life indicator at about 7500 miles and the lab recommended resample after another 3000 miles. I resampled at 10,900 miles and am waiting the results. I will be using the Walmart Penzoil Euro L Dexos 2 the next time with an AC Delco filter... I bought the filters from Amazon.com and even bough a few extra drain plugs from Suburban Chevrolet and their Parts Monkey ebay store...

·
Registered
355 Posts
I change the oil in mine every 5,000 miles (or six months, which usually comes first). My brother or father do it at their work, they both work in different dealers. The first 3 changes were free and used the Dexos 2 Ac-Delco full synthetic. My brothers work just started using Mobil Super 3000xe so I am using that for now on as long as it goes there, if not I will use the Pennzoil that is available at Walmart.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies! Based on the posts, I'll see what my local Walmart carries and pick some up.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Thanks for the replies! Based on the posts, I'll see what my local Walmart carries and pick some up.
I had to request my local Walmart to supply to the correct pennzoil dexos 2. They keep it in stock now at my store.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had to request my local Walmart to supply to the correct pennzoil dexos 2. They keep it in stock now at my store.
Can you provide me with a full name of the one you buy? I'm seeing a few on the website.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Open the pan plug first, then crack loose the filter cover, most of the oil will drain down, I waste a paper towel when pulling up he oil filter cap with the filter attached, keeps engine oil from dripping all over.

Sure took long enough to add a cabin filter to these things, before that debris would build up on the face of the evaporator. Depending on the vehicle and the age plus the work involved, Fords were miserable with that evaporator box, had to recover the refrigerant first before removing it.

Would just remove the blower motor, stick my large shop vacuum cleaner hose into that hole, duct tape my leaf blower to one opened dash vent, and switch it on, talk about a Kansas mid 30's dust storm.

Cruze is not bullet proof, while it had a fine screen in that plastic under the windshield grille, if you remove that grille, will find two large openings on either side. Debated what to do about this, felt window screen would be to fine, so went with that plastic rain gutter shield with 3/16" square holes, hot glued it on. Least this kept out the large stuff, cabin filter took care of that fine stuff.

Assume those large holes augment the grille, kind of worthless around here when snow and ice build up on it.
That might help some for oil filter, the diesel is on passenger side corner down below and just not great access to it, it is doable but last time I scratched my left arm all up. The gas cruze is top side and a breeze compared to the diesel oil filter.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Can you provide me with a full name of the one you buy? I'm seeing a few on the website.
It's Platinum Euro L 5w 30. I buy it in five quart jug, like 25.68

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Pennzoil Dexos 2 Walmart

Happened to have a bottle laying around...Dexos 2 logo at lower left just above the words "Motor Oil"

Tire Drain cleaner Automotive wheel system Automotive care

1 - 20 of 37 Posts