Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
It's their secret limited edition economy model. Great MPG's from what I'm told.
I can vouch for that - 43.8 MPG for me on Saturday running on the same type of roads. Took my driving lessons from Bo Duke. :)

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,541 Posts
If only the Liberty was anywhere near as comfortable as the Cruze.

I swear the suspension on my dad's was modeled after wooden wagons. We used to take it off-roading to go fishing down some old logging roads on the weekends - a painful experience.

I had some fun trying to get up to a rental cabin a few weeks ago in my Cruze - here's the video of the road up. The loud thumping you hear is the front wheels losing traction and hopping like crazy. I tried the road in first gear the first time, and we got to the hill just before the house with a fully loaded trunk and lost traction; had to roll all the way back down and get a running start and still barely made it. This time, I pretty was pretty much halfway to all the way down on the gas in 2nd just to keep it rolling; traction control tried to help brake one of the wheels, then just killed the throttle entirely, and had to downshift to first and spin to get going again.

Poor little Cruze.

·
Registered
71 Posts
:( always fun tackling hills like that. I remember when my parents and sister got Mini Cooper S's years ago and we took them up north for the first time. We had rented a cabin on a steep hill like that and it had snowed. My parents made it with my dad driving but my sister didn't attack the hill fast enough and had TC or DSC on...it killed the throttle and she slid all the way back down. I of course was laughing the whole time n let her try 2-3 times before I mentioned 'you should probably turn TC off and try again so you can actually DRIVE up the hill.

My wife hates TC/DSC in the winter and turns it off as soon as she gets any vehicle in the winter she turns DSC off immediately because she doesn't want it to 'shut the car down' She hates when it pulls the throttle out from underneath her when shes trying to go 'feels like a death trap'. She knows what shes doing without it I tell her every now n again that it's fine but she drives how she drives...:uhh:

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,541 Posts
My parents made it with my dad driving but my sister didn't attack the hill fast enough and had TC or DSC on...it killed the throttle and she slid all the way back down. I of course was laughing the whole time n let her try 2-3 times before I mentioned 'you should probably turn TC off and try again so you can actually DRIVE up the hill.
Haha yeah, I think it actually helped in this case, until just before the turn when both wheels started spinning and it had no traction whatsoever and killed the throttle. The first time I went up with it turned off as soon as both front wheels started slipping, and they just continued to keep spinning and the car came to a complete stop and couldn't even get going again.

Probably didn't help that my tires have very little tread left on them either :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The way to get to where we went started off with a pretty hefty hill that I didn't think I'd make. Both of them got stuck and had to switch to 4 wheel drive, I had no problems in the soft sand (except for one area where I almost got stock haha). There were an abundance of bumps and it was like riding a horse at one point, but boy was it fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts