Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have heard stories of issues with the Cruze overheating. Here's what happened to me. Last fall, I noticed that the heat didn't seem to be working. I turned it on vent, so I could feel with my hand and unless I was moving steadily, the heat would not come out. I arrived at my job 25 minutes later and on idle..no heat. I waited an hour and went back and checked my coolant thanks to a suggestion from a friend. It was so low, it didn't show in the reservoir. I poured some pre-blended coolant in and started the car. After running a few minutes, there was heat. Before I left work, I added some more coolant, so it would be to the full level. Prior to this happening, my car has been receiving regular service at the dealer and I am told that coolant is checked each time. I would guess it was 2000 miles (3 or 4 months) since my last service. I have had no problems since then till now. Two days ago, it was cooler out and I turned the heat on on my drive to work. At one point, I noticed it wasn't blowing out too warm, but it suddenly was plenty warm. Since it was just a month since my last oil change and service (I went somewhere other than the dealer, out of concern that they weren't really checking the fluids. On my way home from work, it had warmed up considerably, so I put the a/c on. After 15 minutes on the highway and about 10 on a regular 4 lane city street, suddenly the engine is overheating with alarm sounding and a message on the dash. I pulled in a left turn lane and within seconds, the sound went off and the gauge dropped right back to it's normal (just below half) reading. I turned into a parking lot and popped the hood and again...no coolant. Once it was cool, I added most of a gallon of blended coolant without issue and the car was fine. Since the first time and since the other day, I check under the car regularly for drips...nothing. There are no signs of coolant leaking. And..I have the car serviced regularly and am assuming they check coolant. Any advice? (sorry so long)

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
You have a coolant leak. Just because a leak didn't exist at the last service interval doesn't mean one hasn't appeared since then. Cruze coolant leaks are frequently very difficult to find so not finding any signs of a leak doesn't mean there isn't one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a coolant leak. Just because a leak didn't exist at the last service interval doesn't mean one hasn't appeared since then. Cruze coolant leaks are frequently very difficult to find so not finding any signs of a leak doesn't mean there isn't one.
Thanks! Oddly, coolant levels have been good for almost a year with little if any change. I think that's why it's confusing, since I have gone nearly a year without an issue and then suddenly, I am almost out of coolant. In the 2 days since I added coolant, the level has not dropped. I am taking a 500 mile trip in a week and am having the car serviced..I will have them look closely for a leak before I leave...but will carry coolant in the trunk, just to be safe. Again..it's just odd, since it was about a year ago when I had the last super low level in the tank..and no issues for almost a year.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
If they can't find one ask them to put a bottle of coolant dye into the tank. This dye will leave a residue that's visible under both regular and UV light. I had to do this to track down a faulty o-ring in my coolant tank cap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts