Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2013 1.4l that is overheating. I’ve replaced the water pump (due to a leak) because it would overheat. I went ahead a put a new thermostat in (ac delco). I bled the system out with the bleeder at the top of the radiator. I found a lot of corrosion in it so I replaced the radiator. I’ve put in a new water outlet. New overflow surge tank (doorman) with a new cap. Bled it out and still boiling. Replaced the head gasket. While doing that I cleaned out all of the crystallization through the entire engine and head ports. After all this it still overheats. Temp will hover right where it’s supposed to and then all of a sudden peg to over high temp ac off. Does that for maybe 20-30 seconds and then drops back to normal. When you stop and get out the coolant is boiling in the surge tank. I’m at the end of what else to do. Short of a dumpster fire. If anyone know what to do let me know. I’ve read a lot of the posts on this already and done most of what was Suggested

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,621 Posts
Hmm something isn’t right. Have you pressure tested the system for leaks? If it can’t pressurize it’s going to boil up.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,487 Posts
I didn’t see the water outlet mentioned, but that is quite the list. It often cracks and can keep the system from pressurizing.

Just to check, but your rad fan does work?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn’t see the water outlet mentioned, but that is quite the list. It often cracks and can keep the system from pressurizing.

Just to check, but your rad fan does work?
Yes replaced the water outlet and the hose to the surge tank from there. The fan does kick on. So I pressure tested it and found small hose in front of the turbo leaking. Fixed that and it was holding pressure. Drove it and it was fine until about 5-7 min in and it started to fluctuate with the temp again and coolant boiling. I don’t know what else to do

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm something isn’t right. Have you pressure tested the system for leaks? If it can’t pressurize it’s going to boil up.
Pressure tested it today and it had a small leak from a hose by the turbo. Fixed that leak. I put the pressure tester back on and it seemed to be holding. Drove it and after 5-7 min it was back to overheating again. Boiling

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,621 Posts
I wonder if the new cap is bad and not letting the system fully pressurize. How much pressure are you using on the tests?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if the new cap is bad and not letting the system fully pressurize. How much pressure are you using on the tests?
Around 20. I’ve even put it up to 30. It slowly decreases like a half a lb but it takes like 20-30 min to drop

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can’t find a leak anywhere. I took everything off to inspect the water pump. Nothing. All hoses dry. No coolant in the oil. It’s a new head gasket. This problem was happening before it was replaced.

·
17,487 Posts
Pressure tested it today and it had a small leak from a hose by the turbo. Fixed that leak. I put the pressure tester back on and it seemed to be holding. Drove it and after 5-7 min it was back to overheating again. Boiling
Any evidence of combustion gases in the coolant if you let it warm up a bit with the cap off?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any evidence of combustion gases in the coolant if you let it warm up a bit with the cap off?
No. Not that I can tell. I replaced the head gasket already. I pumped it up to 30psi and it held pressure for hours. No leaks. I put a new surge tank cap on and it isn’t overheating but still slightly boiling. Thinking maybe I’ve got it fixed just might need new coolant with exact 50/50 mixture to rule that out too

·
17,487 Posts
No. Not that I can tell. I replaced the head gasket already. I pumped it up to 30psi and it held pressure for hours. No leaks. I put a new surge tank cap on and it isn’t overheating but still slightly boiling. Thinking maybe I’ve got it fixed just might need new coolant with exact 50/50 mixture to rule that out too
I have seen a few with cracked heads from an overheat which is why I asked.

Do you have a scan tool that will show you the temp the car is running at? 219-22x is “normal”. There are 2 temp sensors that are commonly an issue that trigger the overheat warnings, but if you replaced the radiator and water outlet, those were probably replaced with it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have seen a few with cracked heads from an overheat which is why I asked.

Do you have a scan tool that will show you the temp the car is running at? 219-22x is “normal”. There are 2 temp sensors that are commonly an issue that trigger the overheat warnings, but if you replaced the radiator and water outlet, those were probably replaced with it.
No I don’t. I did replace the radiator and the water outlet so they came with new sensors. I still have the old ones too. After replacing the cap it isn’t overheating but still slightly boiling

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,146 Posts
No I don’t. I did replace the radiator and the water outlet so they came with new sensors. I still have the old ones too. After replacing the cap it isn’t overheating but still slightly boiling
I would take it to a shop with a vacuum machine to absolutely make sure the system is 100% bled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got a 2013 1.4l that is overheating. I’ve replaced the water pump (due to a leak) because it would overheat. I went ahead a put a new thermostat in (ac delco). I bled the system out with the bleeder at the top of the radiator. I found a lot of corrosion in it so I replaced the radiator. I’ve put in a new water outlet. New overflow surge tank (doorman) with a new cap. Bled it out and still boiling. Replaced the head gasket. While doing that I cleaned out all of the crystallization through the entire engine and head ports. After all this it still overheats. Temp will hover right where it’s supposed to and then all of a sudden peg to over high temp ac off. Does that for maybe 20-30 seconds and then drops back to normal. When you stop and get out the coolant is boiling in the surge tank. I’m at the end of what else to do. Short of a dumpster fire. If anyone know what to do let me know. I’ve read a lot of the posts on this already and done most of what was Suggested
I'VE HAD THE EXACT SAME THING UNTIL LAST WEEK. BEEN DRIVING IT LIKE THIS FOR 30k. LAST TWO WEEKS WE HAD THE HIGH 80's AND SHE KEEPS GETTING HOT AND BOILING OVER WITH NO ACCELERATION. I NOTICED MY HEATER SINCE ALMOST NEW WAS ALWAYS SUPER HOT. IT WOULD ACTUALLY BURN YOUR HAND IF YOU HELD IT BY THE VENT. I CHANGED EVERYTHING AND FINALLY HAD ENOUGH. I PULLED OFF THE THERMOSTAT HOUSING AND USED VICE-GRIPS TO TEAR OUT THE THERMOSTAT. THE CAR RUNS LIKE NEW AND THE HEAT RELATED BOG IS GONE. THE HARDER YOU DRIVE IT IN THE HEAT ON THE HIGHWAY, THE TEMPERATURE DROPS! I WISH I DID THIS YEARS AGO. MINE IS A 2014 WITH THE 1.4 TURBO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'VE HAD THE EXACT SAME THING UNTIL LAST WEEK. BEEN DRIVING IT LIKE THIS FOR 30k. LAST TWO WEEKS WE HAD THE HIGH 80's AND SHE KEEPS GETTING HOT AND BOILING OVER WITH NO ACCELERATION. I NOTICED MY HEATER SINCE ALMOST NEW WAS ALWAYS SUPER HOT. IT WOULD ACTUALLY BURN YOUR HAND IF YOU HELD IT BY THE VENT. I CHANGED EVERYTHING AND FINALLY HAD ENOUGH. I PULLED OFF THE THERMOSTAT HOUSING AND USED VICE-GRIPS TO TEAR OUT THE THERMOSTAT. THE CAR RUNS LIKE NEW AND THE HEAT RELATED BOG IS GONE. THE HARDER YOU DRIVE IT IN THE HEAT ON THE HIGHWAY, THE TEMPERATURE DROPS! I WISH I DID THIS YEARS AGO. MINE IS A 2014 WITH THE 1.4 TURBO.
i am having the same problem and have replaced both the water pump and thermostat and it still has issues. i did the same thing with the thermostat by pulling out the guts and it still overheats. i have had the flange blow and a hose blow off so i am definitely getting pressure. not sure what else it could be. the only difference is that my heat doesn't work very well. it will plow just slightly warmer air out.

·
Registered
690 Posts
For the thermostat, you still want it with the "guts", for the winter time, use my fix:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts